Stiff bolt closing

So, the bolt I've been working on has .220" -.010" 0r .0210" I think. So, is .250" the right amount of fall? My other 700 has .187" of pin fall. Appears it could use some more? So, measure forward from the existing pin hole the amount to get to .250 and drill another cross hole and part that amount off the rear of the pin?

Thanks,

Pete

3/16" total pin fall?
(someone's been hacking)

Install another OEM striker/cocking piece & measure the outcome.

Once you shorten the aft end of the pin & drill another cross pin hole you will have other issues to contend with since the striker/cocking piece will hit the bottom of the firing pin cocking cam/helical surface in the bolt body.

The cocking/striker finger can/should not hit the cam/helical surface in the bolt body at 6oclock position in the bolt body.

I don't know why anyone has any issue measuring firing pin fall on a 700. If you take all measurements with the trigger in, and the bolt closed, all you have to do is measure from the back of the cocking piece to the back of the shroud. If the cocking piece sticks out of the back of the shroud when the action is cocked, you measure that, and add how far it sticks out to how far down in the shroud it is after the action is fired, chamber empty.

On the protrusion, I think that there was something else going on, because .050 should be plenty to fire the rifle. I say this because a retired engineer from Savage, Bob Greenleaf, once told me that he set his personal Savages for .035. Although there have been changes recently, at that time all of their long and short CF actions had adjustable protrusion.

Cock on close happens as the bolt handle is turned down, after the cocking on opening has taken place. The complication is that the back of the shroud moves as the handle is turned down because of the threaded connection to the bolt body. Fortunately we can calculate this change. The shroud thread is 1/2-13 so on a RH action the shroud moves to the rear (1/13)/4" one divided by 13, that answer divided by four). This works out to .019" . Measure where the back of the cocking piece is relative to the back of the shroud, with the bolt held forward but before it is turned down, then take the same measurement after turning the bolt down and on a RH action add .019". For a LH action subtract that amount. For a stock RH 700 SA that I just measured, bolt forward after cocking on opening the cocking piece sticks out of the shroud .009. After turning the handle down the same measurement is .049. Subtracting one from the other and adding .019 gives .059 cock on close.

What I had

I don't know why anyone has any issue measuring firing pin fall on a 700. If you take all measurements with the trigger in, and the bolt closed, all you have to do is measure from the back of the cocking piece to the back of the shroud. If the cocking piece sticks out of the back of the shroud when the action is cocked, you measure that, and add how far it sticks out to how far down in the shroud it is after the action is fired, chamber empty.

On the protrusion, I think that there was something else going on, because .050 should be plenty to fire the rifle. I say this because a retired engineer from Savage, Bob Greenleaf, once told me that he set his personal Savages for .035. Although there have been changes recently, at that time all of their long and short CF actions had adjustable protrusion.

Cock on close happens as the bolt handle is turned down, after the cocking on opening has taken place. The complication is that the back of the shroud moves as the handle is turned down because of the threaded connection to the bolt body. Fortunately we can calculate this change. The shroud thread is 1/2-13 so on a RH action the shroud moves to the rear (1/13)/4" one divided by 13, that answer divided by four). This works out to .019" . Measure where the back of the cocking piece is relative to the back of the shroud, with the bolt held forward but before it is turned down, then take the same measurement after turning the bolt down and on a RH action add .019". For a LH action subtract that amount. For a stock RH 700 SA that I just measured, bolt forward after cocking on opening the cocking piece sticks out of the shroud .009. After turning the handle down the same measurement is .049. Subtracting one from the other and adding .019 gives .059 cock on close.

was .050" of pin protrusion would not ignite a primer so I extended the protrusion by .005" and it works fine now. I guess I'd better let sleeping dogs lie at this point. Measuring isn't an issue for me but I was looking to have the right amount of pin fall. If there are going to be several issues to deal with I guess as long as the rifles go bang, I'll leave then be.

Pete

Wellll,

The short pin fall in the older 700 didn't make sense so I took the whole pin mechanism apart and found the pin is an hybrid Aluminum "Speed Pin" and the cocking piece black in color, not the shiny i'm familiar with. So I gets to measuring things. The Speed Pin is not the same length as the stock pin where it matters in pin fall, longer, so giving less pin fall. I happened to have a stock pin so puts eh with a stock cocking piece I happened to have in stock and tries er again. Whadda ya know, now I have .211" of pin fall. Life is good ain't it? Wouldn't ya think someone making "Speed Parts" would at least make em the same length as the original? Perhaps a shorter fall seem more desirable to the Speed Pin maker but I am not convinced.

Pete

Last edited:
Back