Stevens 200 Woes!

Pete Wass

I have a Stevens 200 .223 that has stopped shooting. I've done everything I know to make it shoot but it will not ignite a primer. Uncocked, the pin protrusion is .055" but the pin will not touch the primer when fired in a normal sequence. I am lost here! I checked headspace with .003" tape and had a firm closing of the bolt so I believe head space is ok. WHAT IS WRONG?

Thanks,

Pete

I'd be looking for something to stop or slow the firing pin fall. For example, our Aussie Omark action tended to get sloppy after time & the cocking piece on the firing pin would drag on the channel for it in the action body. Our answer was to gently break the forward edges of the cocking piece.

You don't have a rear action screw getting in the way?

The other day at the range

The cocking pin and firing pin stop nut are known issues with those guns. -Al

It first of all had light hits on the primer, fired 6 and then stopped even touching the primer. when uncocked outside the rifle the pin protrudes proudly but cock it and once it the rifle the pin does not touch the primer. I checked Headspace and it had fired 6 rounds before It quit. The rifle has had mebby 100 rounds fired through it! the problem defies any logic I posses.

Pete

Suggest disassembly of bolt, and thoroughly cleaning the inside with an aerosol spray. Reassemble after the spray has died, DO NOT lubricate the inside of the bolt, striker, or mainspring. What is described could indicate the firing pin is either moving slowly, or incompletely, caked-up preservative, grease, oil, or a piece of grit could be causes.

Also suggest looking for drag marks or other defects on the firing pin shaft/assembly while the bolt is apart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Asa

Suggest disassembly of bolt, and thoroughly cleaning the inside with an aerosol spray. Reassemble after the spray has died, DO NOT lubricate the inside of the bolt, striker, or mainspring. What is described could indicate the firing pin is either moving slowly, or incompletely, caked-up preservative, grease, oil, or a piece of grit could be causes.

Also suggest looking for drag marks or other defects on the firing pin shaft/assembly while the bolt is apart.

Hope this helps.

the inside of the bolt and firing pin mechanism are dry and without any lubrication at all. I cleaned it when I bought it. I never lube the inside of a bolt. This one is a different problem. I'm giving up on it for awhile unless someone comes up with something they have experienced. There is plenty of space between the pin that holds the bolt in the cocked position and the cam on the bolt. I even took the spring that holds the Cocking piece in place to see if that was causing drag but there was no difference. Likely something Simple Stupid. Its such an uncomplicated mechanism its tough to understand it not working.

Pete

Pete: Put the bolt in the receiver on an empty chamber. Next, take a wooden dowel and go in from the muzzle and rest it against the firing pin hole in the bolt face while holding the gun straight up. Pull the trigger. Does the wooden dowel move up? If so, repeat and mark the dowel at the muzzle and again after you pull the trigger.

This is a common way to check out single shots like the Ruger #1 and Browning B78/1885's.

Let us know what you find after doing this. -Al

OK. will do

Pete: Put the bolt in the receiver on an empty chamber. Next, take a wooden dowel and go in from the muzzle and rest it against the firing pin hole in the bolt face while holding the gun straight up. Pull the trigger. Does the wooden dowel move up? If so, repeat and mark the dowel at the muzzle and again after you pull the trigger.

This is a common way to check out single shots like the Ruger #1 and Browning B78/1885's.

Let us know what you find after doing this. -Al

I'll try it.

Thanks

iirc that was a Russian import from Biakal that Rem imported to sell in the under $300 market. Dang computer bots won't let pull that model up specifically. iirc there is a eclip or simialr that holds the firing pin spring on the pin it may have gone south.

iirc that was a Russian import from Biakal that Rem imported to sell in the under $300 market. Dang computer bots won't let pull that model up specifically. iirc there is a eclip or simialr that holds the firing pin spring on the pin it may have gone south.

The Stevens 200's are simply remarked Savage 110 series mfgd. and sold by Savage. They have a number of cost saving items done and were sold at a lower price point than a standard Savage 110.

Good shootin'. -Al

No,

What did you find out, Pete? -Al

I put it in the gun safe until I get home in the spring. There is something in the path between the trigger and the cocking pin that seems to be interfering but I'll be dern if I can see what it is. The bolt un-cocked out of the rifle extends the pin just fine and the cocking pin does not touch the bolt body. The firing pin will not touch a primer in a primed case in the chamber. The spring is plenty robust. Likely it's something simple stupid. Mebby it will heal up over winter?

Pete

it first of all had light hits on the primer, fired 6 and then stopped even touching the primer. When uncocked outside the rifle the pin protrudes proudly but cock it and once it the rifle the pin does not touch the primer. I checked headspace and it had fired 6 rounds before it quit. The rifle has had mebby 100 rounds fired through it! The problem defies any logic i posses.

Pete
check the spring.

had an annie 54 action intermittent firing - sometimes soft hits other times none. figured the firing pin spring had gotten weak yes it was cleaned before new spring - nope same deal with new spring. tore it down again and really srubbed the inside of the bolt out and then I noticed it- the firing spring had worn groves in the bolt body. barley perceptable to naked eye. polished the interior out until I could no longer see them with a magnifing glass. bingo no more ftf. even with the orginial spring. Rest of the story- this happened at a 100 shot off hand match- only time I did not take a backup rifle with me. I torn that unit down and cleaned it 3 times between firing relays- I likely pulled the trigger 400+ times to get 100 shots on the target. Funny part was I had just shot a local match 2 nights before with no problems. Same ammo from the same lot/case. so maybe a burr or ? impeding the firing pin spring inside the bolt.

Thanks,

had an annie 54 action intermittent firing - sometimes soft hits other times none. figured the firing pin spring had gotten weak yes it was cleaned before new spring - nope same deal with new spring. tore it down again and really srubbed the inside of the bolt out and then I noticed it- the firing spring had worn groves in the bolt body. barley perceptable to naked eye. polished the interior out until I could no longer see them with a magnifing glass. bingo no more ftf. even with the orginial spring. Rest of the story- this happened at a 100 shot off hand match- only time I did not take a backup rifle with me. I torn that unit down and cleaned it 3 times between firing relays- I likely pulled the trigger 400+ times to get 100 shots on the target. Funny part was I had just shot a local match 2 nights before with no problems. Same ammo from the same lot/case. so maybe a burr or ? impeding the firing pin spring inside the bolt.

I'll check that when I get back. It's got to be something like that i'm thinking.

Happy Thanksgiving

Pete

Back