Stevens 200 rifles

J

jaybic

Hello all,

I am getting my boy a new rifle for his 13th b-day and the rifle I have in mind is a Stevens 200 in .22-250 or .243. I know these rifles are pretty basic but I have a trigger from SSS laying around and I am going to order a thumbhole stock from Stockys for it but before I do I have a question. Is the Stevens 200 the same action as the regular Savage? I dont want to buy some thing that is not built on a sound action and at least a little upgrade-able. I thought about a Savage "edge" or "axis" but they seem to be different and not something to build on and trick out.

All ideas and opinions welcome and thanks for your time.:D

Jamie

Check out the Marlin XS7 in 7MMX08 or .243. They are inexpensive and accurate.

Yes, they are the same with the different of bluing and trigger. The Stevens a non-AccuTrigger which you state you will swap. You can (could) get a Stevens 200 at Academy in a 7/08 or a 270 for $179 (last week). Our local store sold out quick, but I got another action for the next project. I have built what you are describing with great luck. Top pic is the Stevens 200 with a 1:12 6mm Rem 28". This was my varmint rifle. It is a hammer on coyotes. I put a 223 barrel for my son to hunt with as a 9 yr old. The thumbhole was just too heavy and LOP was way long for him. This year I got a different stock (old maple with pillars added, bedded, + paint job) and a 308 sporter with a 2-7x Viper scope and gave it to him for x-mas. Good thing about the LA, is you can make is any thing you want. You can shot a 223 to a 330 WM with a barrel and a bolt head swap. Let him work with you on the project. It will be a life time memory for him. Nothing I enjoy better than shooting with my boys. I have their first sub-1" groups on the wall of my reloading bench. Luck, tim

completerifle.jpg

Jake-1.jpg

JAke-3.jpg

Last edited:
Great post Tiny

Forget the Marlin. You can do a million things with the Stevens 200 Tiny just showed you the way.

Back