Starting in Benchrest

Thank you everyone for all the great information, both yesterday and today. My plan is to just go shoot as soon as I find another match. I wish I could say I was shooting all day today, but the wife wanted to take a day trip. So I’m sure you all know what the chances of going shooting were. Again, thank you so much for all the people who took of their time to offer help and advise.
Scott

I like these targets from Orville Printing Co.

Call to order. Tell them you want Jim Casey 5x8 100yd practice targets.

I’ll second Ratigan’s book and of course Boyer’s.

Attachments

• A6F4BEA7-592C-44CE-812C-84D48FAB9E49.jpeg
    A6F4BEA7-592C-44CE-812C-84D48FAB9E49.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 171
Thank you for the information. I’m going to try to root out some club shoots. I guess I can see how the info on the group size might be met with some skepticism. What I could kill myself for is spending the big bucks to have a custom .223 built, when all I need to do was say make it a 30BR, but at the time I did not know. Hindsight, you know! There is a sanctioned match not that far away from me tomorrow. I’m going to try to get down there to watch, if they will let me. I’ve never even seen a Benchrest match. Thanks for your input.
Club events are an excellent way to start in Benchrest shooting, your 223 will be just fine and you really should not need a huge amount of ammunition either. Local events can be score only or score and group acknowledgement, there are also FTR events where 223 and 308 are the only calibers allowed.
Go to one‘ meet people and expand to the next event etc.
Shoot Small y’all
J

I buy 100# cardstock at one of the discount office stores. I then drop it off at a sign shop who generated a program of the type of targets I want printed and its very reasonably done. When I get low I just drop off some more card stock and have them printed out in just a couple of days. Problem with printing my own is the replacement cost for the ink cartridges costs allot more than what the sign shop actually charges to have it done.

buy a better/bigger printer
i print mine and have used 1 ink cartridge in 3 years.
yes it is big...but was only about $100.
the little home printers are a scam to sell over priced ink.

I buy 100# cardstock at one of the discount office stores. I then drop it off at a sign shop who generated a program of the type of targets I want printed and its very reasonably done. When I get low I just drop off some more card stock and have them printed out in just a couple of days. Problem with printing my own is the replacement cost for the ink cartridges costs allot more than what the sign shop actually charges to have it done.

Practice on the target you are going to shoot in competition. That means get them from Orville Printing. In the great scheme of things, practice targets are so minor of an expense.

the rings i print are the same size as a real target.
35 to a sheet...
zero time spent change targets/ zero down time for the range. and cost pennies.
you do what you want with your money, i spent mine on reloading supplies

Practice on the target you are going to shoot in competition. That means get them from Orville Printing. In the great scheme of things, practice targets are so minor of an expense.

buy a better/bigger printer
i print mine and have used 1 ink cartridge in 3 years.
Yes it is big...but was only about $100.
The little home printers are a scam to sell over priced ink.
i use heavy coloring paper from walmart on my copier works well .

load 150+ rounds for your gun and go to that match. If the gun doesn't meet the rules they can still let you shoot head to head with the rest but not actually count your scores for the win or year end points. If it does meet the rules and it shoots like that, you'll be very competitive. You'll gain a lot of knowledge by shooting that you won't by simply watching, but either way..go and enjoy.

There may be a gun for sale there or someone there may know of one or more for sale. I have a couple of pandas that i'm going through now that will be very reasonably priced very soon.
i have 3 like new 6ppcs for sale bill brawand 1 814 335 0450 cell.;

Back