Spring power

J

JRLesan@embarqm

I was given a Daisy 1894 spring powered bb gun last winter by a little old lady in whose basement I was working. Now, when I was a kid and these first came out the neighbor down the street had one (he was a stingy bastard and I don't think he ever let me shoot his; not even once). Ever since, I always was fascinated with them and so dragged this relic home. It had been leaning up against her basement foundation wall for God knows how many years and, aside from the metal buttplate being rusty, didn't look too bad. Alas, it did not work. With the muzzle pointed slightly down, upon firing, a bb would roll down the barrel and lazilty drop onto the floor. Because I can't tolerate things that don't work and also because I'd wanted one of these for 50 years I undertook repairs. Found a plunger assembly on fleabay and after waiting out the auction end and winning same and receiving same and installing same the thing works, maybe. Now, (if you've read this far - I know bb guns aren't exactly the main topic of interest here) for my question: just how much power should one of these things have? Oh, I know I could set up my chronograph and see if I was close to the 1960's advertised 350fps. but that's a lot of effort if someone out there could tell me. Should a bb at 15' imbed itself in a soft pine board or just dent it? That's about as technical as I want to get. Currently, I can see the flight of the bb in the basement and it bounces off a 2X4 15' away. I can see the depression and it is about a half a caliber deep. Outside, at 50' it'll go thru one side of a (don't ask) full aluminum beer can. I know it only went in because once the beer ran out, the bb was captured inside. It also hit about 3" below point of aim. Just curious about whether I need to continue repairs or stand it back in a corner. Thanks...

I had one when they 1st appeared and it would put a bb inside a old steel beer can but just dent wood boards at about any range. I never clocked it but, suspect it likely was around their claim but no more.
It killed a ton of tweety birds and frogs at out to 20yds though.

Back