speer tnts

Doug Casner

Have any of you guys used Speer TNTS ? I shot a varmint the other day and they were like a FMJ. They were 50 gr. 22s out of a swift about 3700. I was letting the swift loaf but youd think 3700 would open them up. My wife throwed the varmint in the ditch, being crippled she did it for me, said he wasnt blown up at all. I saw a big cloud of hair when I shot and he just kicked a little but no big explosion. I figured the TNT meant explosion. A guy give me about 3 boxes of them thats the first thing I shot with them. They group good out of my old swift. Anybody ever try them? Doug

I've shot quite a few chucks and crows in years gone by with Speer TNTs. Every one was an explosive, major damage hit. I used to tell folks I didn't have to go check if they were dead because it was obvious. A 50-gr. TNT out of a .22-250 with a moderately warm load will explode going through a single sheet of target paper at 100 yards. Unless they have changed the design, the core is pure lead, which I believe becomes molten from the barrel friction, plus the jackets are slit in several places. I tried my "hot" load from a Ruger M77 in my Savage 12 BVSS and the bullet exploded about 10' from the muzzle and totally destroyed my brother's Chrony. Just for your info, the Hornady 50-gr. SX will do the same thing with loads in the 3,800-3,900 range. I think they used to be marked on the box with a warning of 3,750 fps max.

Tnt

He was laying there looking at me, maybe a piece of shrapnel got him. About 50 yards. I shot some pumpkins with my swift and the tnts. Blowed holes in them about 4 ins. wide. Shot 2 back to back shot thru one side of the front one didnt penetrate the second one. Couldnt figure out the varmint deal though. Unless I just got a hard jacket. Oh well, makes it fun. Doug

I have tried

125 gr .30 cal TNTs on an IBS score target from my comp rifle. They didn't cut it although they would have done fine varmint hunting. For the money they are a pretty good bullet. Probably if I ogive sorted them they would do better, but I enjoy sending my excess funds to Randy Robinett!!

Never used them but have had great hunting terminal ballistics with the Nosler ballistic tips and, in particular several variations on VMAX, including 17’s, 22’s, and in particular 20’s which will also shoot into big .1’s- small .2’s.

Have never shot TNT's

But I remember shooting light Varmint Grenades out of my 700 .243 Youth model at a coyote about 100 yards. It was a frontal shot with it sitting down. Figured the reason for them was the energy would dissipate quickly filled with the powder whatever it is.

WRONG

That poor coyote chased its tail for about 4 laps and fell over dead. After coming up to it and rolling it over it was as if a grenade had gone off. The hole out the back side was about the size of a football.

tnts

It did what I thought it would do. Dead, dead and right now but I thought there might be more special effects. Doug

You don't say what varmint you shot, but if it was a big woodchuck they can really soak up some lead. We shot the TNT's exclusively one summer during the "glory days" back in upstate NY with a 22-250. Most times the results were spectacular with head shots. Body shots would be instantly lethal but sometimes as you have experienced the bullet would not exit. If you poked the deceased however they would be all crunchy inside.
We decided the TNT flat base was best used inside of 300yds. At 300-600yds the Sierra and Nosler spitzer boat tails were more accurate and dependable.
Joel

Tim

Never used them but have had great hunting terminal ballistics with the Nosler ballistic tips and, in particular several variations on VMAX, including 17’s, 22’s, and in particular 20’s which will also shoot into big .1’s- small .2’s.

I've read some comments about nosler ballistic tips blowing up on game, not penetrating, etc. I've loaded them for my wife and me and for others for years and have never seen an instance where they didn't perform on deer size game as expected, just as you say. They are a deer bullet primarily and not a moose or elk bullet.

We have shot three moose here in Maine and have always used Nosler Partition bullets and they have never failed to perform.

Last edited:
I use 50 gr TNT in 222. The duece is not a slammer. But the bullet performs well, quarter size holes if I hit the head, no hole but darned dead on upper body shots. No complaints from me, and no groundhogs complaining either.

Back