Southbend 13

L

longrifle

Hello,

New to the forum and have a question about the older Southbend 13 lathes. Does anyone know what the length of the spindle is? How much does that change with a 4 jaw chuck on?

Thanks.

I have one. Great lathe. I chamber in the steady rest, so I have not measured the spindle length, but you won't be able to swing much less than a 24" barrel through it. I do have a spider for the outboard end, but I have never used it.

Clemson

Clemson,
You might shorten the headstock up with a spider on both sides of the headstock. Jerry Sharrett may know about this.
Butch

Yeah, those are the exact issues I was worrying about. That's why I'm wondering if one of you fellas would be good enough to run a tape measure from the back of the spindle to the front of a 4 jaw chuck (through the headstock of course).

Thanks.

Clemson,
You might shorten the headstock up with a spider on both sides of the headstock. Jerry Sharrett may know about this.
Butch
Butch, I've lost (temporarily) my notes on the SB 13" with 3 -step and 4-step headstocks but they are both too long, even with a headstock backingplate/spider to do anything under about 24" through the headstock.

Tiger Paw (Clemson) above can tell you for sure.

Well, after a couple of days of digging I came up with a spec sheet and will answer my own question.

http://www.wswells.com/data/spec_sheet/7324.pdf

Thanks to those who took the time to reply to my initial question!

It looks like the spindle length varies from 19 3/16" to 21 1/16" to 24 7/8" depending on collet size and whether the machine spindle is threaded for a chuck or has a Camlock. Interesting enough, the threaded spindle with small collets is shortest in length. It, however, tapers from 1.231" at the face to 1" on the outboard side.

So, for all those wondering what barrel length will fit through the headstock, take those spec sheet dimensions and add your chucks and spyders.

Longrifle

Well, after a couple of days of digging I came up with a spec sheet and will answer my own question.

http://www.wswells.com/data/spec_sheet/7324.pdf

Thanks to those who took the time to reply to my initial question!

It looks like the spindle length varies from 19 3/16" to 21 1/16" to 24 7/8" depending on collet size and whether the machine spindle is threaded for a chuck or has a Camlock. Interesting enough, the threaded spindle with small collets is shortest in length. It, however, tapers from 1.231" at the face to 1" on the outboard side.

So, for all those wondering what barrel length will fit through the headstock, take those spec sheet dimensions and add your chucks and spyders.

Longrifle

I apologize to everyone for not answering this earlier. My notification system is apparently turned off. My spindle measures about 20.5 inches. Mounting my 4-jaw (an 8 inch chuck) extends that to about 24.5" to the outside of the jaws. My spider adds about an inch on the other end of the spindle, thus my method using the steady rest and holding the muzzle in a 5C collet to turn the barrel.

Clemson

Back