South Carolina State Match

R

ron collins

Does anyone know if the range will be open the Friday before the State match on
Nov 6. If so when will it open for practice and for how long?

All,
I have looked for a Motel close to the range but only found them about 20 to 30 miles away (Summerville and I-26). Is there anything that is clean and closer? I do not know the area. We will be coming from Fla.
John
Mims, Fl.

South Carolina State Match

John,
EXit 199, I-26 in Summerville: Holiday Inn Express, Sleep-in and EconoLodge. Not sure where you looked, but only 10-12 miles from the range. With you coming from Fla, Walterboro (south of the range) might suit your needs better, especially if you plan to stay over Sat. night. Summerville traffic tends to get crowded on week-ends.

Wayne

Wayne,
Thank you, I looked on yahoo maps and motels, I found somthing down at the 205 exit. I-26 I am sure there is somthing closer at Summerville exit. How far is it to the range from Walterboro, looks like about 25 miles.
john.
Mims, Fl.

John,
I live over 3 hrs. from Summerville, and have never ever been to Walterboro. Just trying to help. The palmettogunclub.org has a wealth of information on the things you need to know....lodging, maps, contacts for the range, etc. also an alternate route to the range depending on the road conditions being bad or not. (lots of road and bridges improvements happening) I am sure you can find something there to suit your needs.

Wayne

Does anyone know if the range will be open the Friday before the State match on
Nov 6. If so when will it open for practice and for how long?

The Range will be open as time allows Jim and crew to prepare for Saturday.

Several of us plan to arrive on Thursday and stay for the Match.

Looks like we will have a good turnout.

Bill

UPDATE Tuesday 11/02/2010:

Per Jim Hamilton our Match Director:

1- Range set up on Friday AM. Practice OK on Thursday PM and Friday coordinated with range work.
2- Draw for benches Friday afternoon
3- Expecting 36-40 shooters counting several requesting the shooting of two guns.
4- Two(2) relays .
5- Lunch Served between yardages/rotation.

We may have frost inland in SC Sat. AM - our first of the year. Last week it was 86F.

AT least three(3) campers coming.

Call me if I can offer any assistance.

Bill

843-522-3651
843-422-3493 (cell)

Bill,
George and I will be in about 14:00 Friday. Looks like a good showing with 36 to 40 shooters. Hope the heater works in the truck.
john
Mims, Fl.

Good Luck Kim !!

Good Luck Kim, also Allie and Lee. You are all my close friends but Score Shooter of the year would mean the most to Kim so I am rooting for her. Allie has a slight lead over Kim at this point and Allie is in better shape for a discard match so Kim will have to shoot really well to take the lead away from him. Lee is in striking distance if he were to set a record which he came close to doing at Virginia States.
Hopefully someone in Summerville will keep us posted today, this years SSOY competition is going right down to the wire.

Dick

Herbie took the grand. Henry Rivers was second and Wayne and Wayne France was up there too. Kim did great compared to some other also rans.

You were Pete, stats to 5 October were uploaded just about a month ago.

A lot has happened in a month Dick :)

Perhaps we could do like Nascar and have "The Chase" during the last few weeks of the season. Say at the end of September the top 10 compete for SOY based on how they have done for the year at that point.

The other thing is the Score Committee should be given back the ability to certify Records. Waiting for targets to be blessed by folks who don't meet often or ever, to me, sounds counterproductive to being able to have them certified more frequently. This was a situation where something that wasn't broken got fixed. Same will happen if Backers are eliminated.

Last edited:
"The other thing is the Score Committee should be given back the ability to certify Records. Waiting for targets to be blessed by folks who don't meet often or ever, to me, sounds counterproductive to being able to have them certified more frequently. This was a situation where something that wasn't broken got fixed."

One step forward and forty two steps back.....

Under the former format, The "proposed record" could be submitted by the SHOOTER to the records committee with no time contraints on submission. In a game where the bigger hole is better, having the targets in the hands of a person who stands to benefit is just not a good idea. Nor is it a good idea for the "proposed record" to be held by the shooter for an indeterminate amount of time.
I know that the situation is much better now that a real records committee is reviewing the proposed records and that a credible format exists for the submission of records. It is also noteworthy that one of the members of the records committee serves on the records committee of both benchrest organizations. We should be honored to have such a person serving our organization. These people are volunteers and do their work in as timely a fashion as possible. Coordination of record reviewing members in different geographic areas takes time.
One only needs to think back a short time ago when the SSOY results were posted once or twice a year. This work, and it is alot, is done by a member of the Score Committee and we all should be thankful for his time and efforts at keeping it up to date and posting it in a timely fashion. We are so much better off now, thanks to these peoples efforts. Thank you all for your time.
If someone doesn't like what's going on, run for the Score Committee and you take over the handling of the results and post them daily. I think the Score Committee and the current administration of IBS is doing a great job compared to the recent past.

Lost rear Bag

All,
If anyone may have found a Edgewood Original Rear bag ,(Tall) after the match,
please call me or George Pariso. We will be at Dublin for the Ga state match this weekend. It was dark o'clock when we started back to Fl. Sat.
John
Mims, Fl.

John, 321-267-8232
George, 321-269-2004

"Found" "Thank you Mike"
John
Mims, Fl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Palmetto Gun Club,
Just like to say thank you for running the S.C. State BR Score match Nov.6.
John
Mims,Fl.

I'd like to second what John just said. Much thanks to the Palmetto Gun Club for going to the effort to host the SC State Match. It's a lot of work and all too frequently a thankless job.

Rick Fox
Gallatin Gun Club

SC States

First of all would like to thank all the people involved in putting on the match at Palmetto Gun Club. Great match, some tough conditions as always, Congrats to all the winners. Also one of my good friends Swader Miller, his brother passed away Friday while he was at the shoot and had to leave. My prayers go out to Swader and his family and may GOD be with you in these trying times.

HUMBLE HENRY

"The other thing is the Score Committee should be given back the ability to certify Records. Waiting for targets to be blessed by folks who don't meet often or ever, to me, sounds counterproductive to being able to have them certified more frequently. This was a situation where something that wasn't broken got fixed."

One step forward and forty two steps back.....
Under the former format, The "proposed record" could be submitted by the SHOOTER to the records committee with no time contraints on submission. In a game where the bigger hole is better, having the targets in the hands of a person who stands to benefit is just not a good idea. Nor is it a good idea for the "proposed record" to be held by the shooter for an indeterminate amount of time.
I know that the situation is much better now that a real records committee is reviewing the proposed records and that a credible format exists for the submission of records. It is also noteworthy that one of the members of the records committee serves on the records committee of both benchrest organizations. We should be honored to have such a person serving our organization. These people are volunteers and do their work in as timely a fashion as possible. Coordination of record reviewing members in different geographic areas takes time.
One only needs to think back a short time ago when the SSOY results were posted once or twice a year. This work, and it is alot, is done by a member of the Score Committee and we all should be thankful for his time and efforts at keeping it up to date and posting it in a timely fashion. We are so much better off now, thanks to these peoples efforts. Thank you all for your time.
If someone doesn't like what's going on, run for the Score Committee and you take over the handling of the results and post them daily. I think the Score Committee and the current administration of IBS is doing a great job compared to the recent past.

David, All the Boogie Men you have preceived over the years never existed. How is it better to wait long periods of time for records to be confirmed? Scoring targets isn't exactly Rocket Science, after all. If we agreed with your theory, all targets would be sent to the records committee to be scored! I maintain the vote was a mistake and why I voted no.

Regarding the SOY results, I appreciate volunteers helping out. Thank You Wayne. It doen't change the fact that many of us are curious about the results all the same.

SSOY Standings

this years SSOY competition is going right down to the wire.

Well it appears Kim gained a few points on Allie so now after a 2000 mile trip Allie is tied up with Kim. Neither one had the definitive victory they had hoped for so it looks like the winner will be determined next Saturday in Georgia.

Dick

Back