South Bend Lathe

K

Keith23

Can anyone confirm that this is a South Bend "Heavy 10" lathe??:confused::confused:.

Attachments

• Southbend lathe.jpg
    Southbend lathe.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,357
Most of the heavy 10,s have a cabinet full lenth, heavy 10 has 13/8 bore. Looks like a 13 to me! should work well They both use the same parts If you have the #,S from the end of the bed e mail south bend and they will give you all the info

Can anyone confirm that this is a South Bend "Heavy 10" lathe??:confused::confused:.

If it is a Heavy 10 the model number will be CL187x for the standard model or CL8187x for the tool room model ("x" is the letter designation for bed length- x Y-3', Z-3-1/2', A-4' and R-4-1/2'. A 13" will be model CL175 or CL8175x.

From the photo it is probably a Heavy 10 since the belt door is narrow. The Heavy 10 had a 3 step belt. The SB 13" also made a 3 step belt model but most 13" models had a 4 step belt.

As to the cabinet, the cast leg stand, shown, was standard. The bench model with a full width cabinet was an option.

New, these lathes, sold for about $1300 in about 1955. The latest Heavy 10's produced sold for over $12,000 and well worth it. Currently a top quality South Bend redesign of the Heavy 10 sells for about $19,750. www.southbendlathe.com

Keith, one thing to be wary of on this lathe. It has a collet closer installed. That means it was probably a production machine and could have heavy wear on the bedways and spindle bearing sleeves. (It would still be better than some of the new Harbor Freight class lathes though).

Look for one that came out of the Navy, a prototype/model shop/lab environment, or out of a tech/trade school.

It is a heavy 10, and I would consider the collet closer a major plus! You will need a couple of chucks (3-jaw and 4-jaw) and some 5C collets, and you will have an excellent gunsmithing lathe.

Clemson

Thanks for the replies.

I'll see this lathe next week. Is there anything in particular that should tip me off as to condition other than appearance? Actually, there are two of these available one 220 volt single phase, and one three phase. I don't have three phase power so I'm looking at the single phase model. Can I just use a straight edge on the bed ways to tell how badly they are worn?

This machine has been in a gunsmith shop for 30+ years but there was several other larger machines including CNC machines in the shop as well. According to the owner these smaller machines were used but not a lot. They have been stored in the shop for the last 12 years or so.

The seller also has a Rockport vertical/horizonal milling machine with a DRO as well. Might get it too if the price is right.

Thanks again for the info.

Keith,
Here is a very helpful bit of info about inspecting prospective machine tools.

http://www.mermac.com/

Don't rule out the three phase machine, especially if it is in better condition. A rotary converter can be put together very cheaply, and VFD's are available for $200 for this size machine. The rotary is more cost effective if you have multiple machines to run on three phase, but VFD's are a great addition to any lathe or mill.

Greg

Keith,

I see you are in PA, I'm in Ohio and a lathe is on the horizon for me. If you don't purchase one of the two or either, can you let me know the price and contact info? I promise I won't buy one out from under you.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
It is true that a phase converter can be installed to run a 3 phase machine on. You can also swap the three phase motor out for a single phase motor, so don't let the motor be the only determining factor in your choice.

Operate the cranks and shake the compound. That is the machinist's version of kicking the tires. If the machine is under power, run it and listen at several speeds. Does either have a taper attachment? They are rarely needed, but they are indispensable when you DO need one. Steady rests and follow rests are available as aftermarket accessories, but the originals go for pretty good money. If you can get at least the steady, you are way ahead. The machine in the photo looks to be in pretty good condition. See if you can talk the owner into throwing in some boot, like chucks, centers, tools, etc.

Clemson

Back