South Bend H10 Chuck Swap

Tclaunch

I am a brand new lathe owner, no experience, and very determined learner. I bought a lathe and brought it home last Sunday. It has tooling and would like to swap the 3 jaw out for the 4 jaw. It has a threaded spinlde nose, I am asking if there is a spindle lock, or what is the proper procedure to hold the spindle where the chuck can be spun off. This is a pre 1949 lathe with side tumbler and is in extremely good shape. I took the side cover off to get to the out board spindle for measurment to order material for a spider, and could not believe how little use the gears apparantly have had. Thanks for all comments, Tim

I am a brand new lathe owner, no experience, and very determined learner. I bought a lathe and brought it home last Sunday. It has tooling and would like to swap the 3 jaw out for the 4 jaw. It has a threaded spinlde nose, I am asking if there is a spindle lock, or what is the proper procedure to hold the spindle where the chuck can be spun off. This is a pre 1949 lathe with side tumbler and is in extremely good shape. I took the side cover off to get to the out board spindle for measurment to order material for a spider, and could not believe how little use the gears apparantly have had. Thanks for all comments, Tim
Tim, remember the backgear lever I pointed out? Remember the Backgear drive pin You pulled out? Leave the pin IN and the backgear lever toward the spindle, then insert a chuck wrench in a jaw hole about in the 10 Oclock position. Then take a soft tipped hammer (plastic, lead, leather, etc) and while holding the chuck wrench in place, give the chuck wrench a sharp wrap or two where it enters the jaw hole. The chuck should pop loose. Soft tipped hammers seem to work better than steel.

BTW, put something on top of the bedways just below the chuck in case you happen to drop it.

Hello and congratulations on your lathe. You will need to engage the back gear lever. The spindle will be heald by the bull gear. It is a right hand thread and you must remember not to shock the gear. { gear teeth have been sheared by getting too rough removing chucks and we want to avoid that} Turn only counter clockwise. You can use the chuck key to turn the chuck. Depending on how many interupted cuts the chuck has taken it could be on tight. Have patience. Put a 10" or so piece of 1x4 or 1x6 under the chuck to protect the ways. I use anti-seize lube on my threaded spindles. It helps in getting the chucks off when needed.

The spindle, register and chuck threads must be clean and free of burrs or swarf before reassembly. When the chuck is put on it should be turned up to the spindle register by hand. Do not shock it to tighten.

good luck,

Joe Henderson

Thanks to all, it was easily removed by a large cresent on a chuck jaw with a very light bump with a rubber head 24 oz hammer.

Back