"Song of the South"

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
Does anybody have a copy of the original movie? I see that I can buy a DVD but don't know if it's been edited...

WOW! We were just talking about it yesterday.

Would love to have a copy.

Uncut redone versions seem to be available, read the small print before ordering.

Last edited:
song of the south

My mother in law recorded it on an old vhs for my kids when they were little probably back in the 80s.Bre rabbit, bre fox,tarbaby , uncle remus the whole gang. I don't know anybody that's even got a vhs anymore. I thought it was really funny. But Im kinda old school. Doug

Over the years I have found "hitting the tar baby" to be a useful metaphor for many work situations. However, nobody ever seemed to know what I was talking about, and now it's politically incorrect, even though the situation depicted actually highlighted Brer Rabbit's racism.

When I was small, my mother took my older brother and a friend to see the movie, and I never got to see it. I did, however, go to the dentist soon afterward and got a dose of nitrous oxide, which precipitated a technicolor dream wherein I met many Disney characters.

Despite that bit of payback, I've searched online for the movie on numerous occasions. I have never felt whatever version was being offered to be worth taking a chance on.

My mother in law recorded it on an old vhs for my kids when they were little probably back in the 80s.Bre rabbit, bre fox,tarbaby , uncle remus the whole gang. I don't know anybody that's even got a vhs anymore. I thought it was really funny. But Im kinda old school. Doug

You can still get DVD recorder/players that let you copy from a VHS to DVD. I would think it wise tho to find someone near you that's experienced in case something goes wrong. I recently recorded a HD program using a conventional DVD recorder. Turned out pretty good. I have a burner that lets me make oodles of copies if I want to.

song of the south

That old vhs is poor quality. It was recorded off tv or something. I got to thinking about it and Im pretty sure it starts playing an old 80s show about 3 quarters of the way through. So I aint got much. The part Ive got is funny though. Im sure the p.c. police have ruined it by now. Doug

It is very much a 'product of its time'.

In our present time Disney would rather have as few reminders of it as possible.

I suppose

"101 Dalmtians" would be reviled today? After all, how dare Disney elevate to stardom one breed of dog to the detriment and exclusion of all others. My God!!

Hodgdon, Me has a chemical free graduation party for seniors. A Houlton gun shop is raffling, on its own, a pistol with all proceeds going to the project. They have numerous times before. A "other Maine" Portland station, WGME, saw the activity on Facebook and raised the question of propriety. Needless to say its not unexpected in this day of progressives jamming their views and lifestyles down our throats. However, it has spurred sales of tickets both in and out of state. GO GUN RAFFLE. I'm buying mine Monday!

You should hear Tom Lehrer's version of Dixie.

"I wanna go back to Dixie. Be a Dixie pixy.
Eat corn'pone till it's commin outa ma ears.
Put my white sheet on again and march with Southern Gentlemen."

It was late 12950s 'protest' music.

"Put on my lead BDVs."

Back