Something exciting for the 2016 season. The Neuvo!

Chris Harris

I am honoured than I can announce the latest step forward in rifle-accuracy. Dwight Scott and I have been working for the last 3 years on the idea of a superlative action. Dwight does not need much introduction to shooters in the BR world. He has been making winning rifles for about 25 years. He has been Tony Boyer's gunsmith for much of that time and has investigated every nook and cranny of an action in terms of what makes them shoot and 'not shoot'. He has also helped plenty shooters into the Hall of Fame. We chose BAT Machine to manufacture the action as they are leading the bolt-action accuracy world today. Bruce Thom (founder and owner of BAT) made his first working bolt action rifle at the age of sixteen. And not just by slapping together parts, he actually made the trigger, action and stock from scratch. So working with both Dwight and Bruce has been an experience I will not forget.

We have now received the first production run of actions. I have to admit that I was a little nervous when I received the first action. If the receiver did not function according to design then a lot of money was wasted and back to the drawing board. For months we had been checking every aspect of the design over complex CAD models - but CAD can be a far cry from using the real thing ensuring it feeds and cycles as expected. In our opinion it was perfect!

The action incorporates plenty ideas from wish-lists of Dwight's over the years with a bunch of brand new features never seen before. Some of the notable items are horizontal locking lugs, 2-lug design, large diameter bolt and re-designed fire control to name a few. There are several other features which can't be named at this stage.

We expect this to be a great success. Dwight is as excited about it as I now that he has finally got his hands on it. Let's hope that it performs as well as we hope for.

We will start posting ore details on our website next week.

Have a good shooting season!
Neuvo.jpg

I am honoured than I can announce the latest step forward in rifle-accuracy. Dwight Scott and I have been working for the last 3 years on the idea of a superlative action. Dwight does not need much introduction to shooters in the BR world. He has been making winning rifles for about 25 years. He has been Tony Boyer's gunsmith for much of that time and has investigated every nook and cranny of an action in terms of what makes them shoot and 'not shoot'. He has also helped plenty shooters into the Hall of Fame. We chose BAT Machine to manufacture the action as they are leading the bolt-action accuracy world today. Bruce Thom (founder and owner of BAT) made his first working bolt action rifle at the age of sixteen. And not just by slapping together parts, he actually made the trigger, action and stock from scratch. So working with both Dwight and Bruce has been an experience I will not forget.

We have now received the first production run of actions. I have to admit that I was a little nervous when I received the first action. If the receiver did not function according to design then a lot of money was wasted and back to the drawing board. For months we had been checking every aspect of the design over complex CAD models - but CAD can be a far cry from using the real thing ensuring it feeds and cycles as expected. In our opinion it was perfect!

The action incorporates plenty ideas from wish-lists of Dwight's over the years with a bunch of brand new features never seen before. Some of the notable items are horizontal locking lugs, 2-lug design, large diameter bolt and re-designed fire control to name a few. There are several other features which can't be named at this stage.

We expect this to be a great success. Dwight is as excited about it as I now that he has finally got his hands on it. Let's hope that it performs as well as we hope for.

We will start posting ore details on our website next week.

Have a good shooting season!
View attachment 17505

So Chris. What is going on with the Bix'N Andy actions that were suppose to be available late last year?

So Chris. What is going on with the Bix'N Andy actions that were suppose to be available late last year?

Thank you for enquiring Jim Pag.

They are available for sale. If you are interested the stainless steel version of the Elypse is $2,700 and the Titanium is $3,700. Depending on your needs we should be able to ship within 6 weeks.

Chris

Thank you for enquiring Jim Pag.

They are available for sale. If you are interested the stainless steel version of the Elypse is $2,700 and the Titanium is $3,700. Depending on your needs we should be able to ship within 6 weeks.

Chris

With all due respect but this is getting to be like quarterbacks in the NFL. $2700 for an action is just amazing.

I guess capitalism is all about seeing how much the market will bear.

Perhaps you will be seeing a lot of perfectly good Benchrest Rifles for sale as their owners search for the Holy Grail.

That's the nature of this game. The demands of short range Bencherest compel many to continually upgrade equipment. The industry has answered with at the very least, a new design that is not in affect, just a revamped Remington 700.

Many of the strides through the years have centered around improving the actual machine tolerances in actions, insuring that everything was square and truly straight with as tight of tolerances as practical. Later, many innovations centered around allowing the shooter to shoot faster, as being able to get shots on the target at a rapid speed is looked upon as the way to shoot good aggregates. Innovations in ejector systems and drop port designs certainly are a big selling point.

Modern Design and Machine capabilities, (CAD/CAM), have allowed great strides in innovative thinking and ones ability to translate ideas into actual parts that can be manufactured at a cost that is not prohibitive.

There will still be actions available at lower cost that are proven winners.I think a Panda is still around $1200. The best Agg shot at The Crawfish this year, .1814, was shot by Vic Smith with a Panda in a Robertson Stock that is at least 10 years old. Other actions, Havercamp, Hall, Borden, are still available at prices that in today's dollars are not much higher than they were 15 years ago.

It is good to see that the manufacturer has taken advice from top Benchrest Gunsmiths in the design, especially in the firing pin/shroud assembly. One question many shooter had with previous offerings was, "why do I have to send a brand new, state of the art action off to someone to have it worked on"?

Last edited:
I have heard this like being compared to buying a brand new Mercedes and having to take it to the dealer for repairs. Well, they might be perfectly fine for the average person to drive around, but to compete with the best in the world, at the highest level of competition, you better not leave anything on the table.

And I would guess the guys that race a class with a Mercedes or a BMW or any other car, probably do everything they can to improve what they have and eliminate every weak link there is. I know this from racing snowmobiles. You buy a brand new sled and bring it home a tear every piece off from it and put it back together making sure everything is the best it can be.

NO different than a BR gun.

Joe Hynes

Last edited:
Neuvo Action

Chris

Is the neuvo going to be available in left hand configuration? I was cursed at birth!

In the world we live in today shooting is not a politicaly correct sport. Therefore I for one are really appreciative to anyone willing to spend three years of their time & money making something where us shooters can improve our chances of extreme accuracy in the shooting world.

I like the looks of the action and location of the recoil lug. I'm sure Dwight Scott has the internals top notch.

give Mr Scott and all those involved in the new action design a big thank you!

Russ

Chris

Is the neuvo going to be available in left hand configuration? I was cursed at birth!

In the world we live in today shooting is not a politicaly correct sport. Therefore I for one are really appreciative to anyone willing to spend three years of their time & money making something where us shooters can improve our chances of extreme accuracy in the shooting world.

I like the looks of the action and location of the recoil lug. I'm sure Dwight Scott has the internals top notch.

give Mr Scott and all those involved in the new action design a big thank you!

Russ

Russ:- when one orders you will be able to specify your need. You will be able to choose load port, ejection port, bolt face, bolt knob shape. All actions will be Melonite finish and made of stainless steel. We will have a small inventory of Left Bolt, Right Load, Left Eject.

website

Mr. Harris, can you provide a link to your website? I would like to learn more about these actions, you know, cost and things like that.

Thanks,

Jay

Perhaps you will be seeing a lot of perfectly good Benchrest Rifles for sale as their owners search for the Holy Grail.

That's the nature of this game.

It is good to see that the manufacturer has taken advice from top Benchrest Gunsmiths in the design, especially in the firing pin/shroud assembly. One question many shooter had with previous offerings was, "why do I have to send a brand new, state of the art action off to someone to have it worked on"?

"Kit actions" is what TB calls the new ones. Send them to your gunsmith to make them work as they should have to start with..

New, is not always better in any mechanical mechanism...but we can always hope.

Funny, I've not seen nor had a Panda that didn't come home in first class functioning condition!!

Chris,

Having shot the Nuevo at the Cactus, what are your impressions?

Steve

I thought I posted a reply here but it appears it did not stick. So here goes again:-

I shot the Neuvo in all 4 yardages and in tuning. I shot it with a 25 degree coned barrel and a 30 degree. The action performed great. I could see that it wanted to shoot well but I decided to shoot 8208 for the first time in 10 years and I do not know the powder. So I was struggling to keep a tune. In hindsight it was a mistake as I was shooting for team points as well and 17th in the 2 Gun is not a great start for the year.

Bruce Thom of BAT Machine also went to shoot and he was very happy with the way his performed. He just wishes that the wind had been a little kinder to him :)

One little issue was that I did not trim the ejector spring on the bolt I was shooting and when I cycled slow the case would spin around and hit the neck on the rear side of the ejection port and stay in the action but that it is easily fixed with a weaker spring. We are going to send actions out with the stronger spring so that people can tune their own ejectors.

I am left with no doubt that the Neuvo is going to be a performer. Dwight, Bruce and myself are delighted with the results.

Back