Some more about the new powder

Cale do you know what lot # you got? It should be a single digit like 1, 2, 3, etc.

Hey there Jerry,

Forgot how to "break the numbers down" but it's a 2012 lot....... Reads: 1208093
This is on the back lable, top right hand corner in the "silver display".

During the test above, I brought a jug of 18167lot Dupont IMR8208 to compare over the Crony.... Just got blasted off the range with Storms and soaked to the bone... I went home..! But... My past notes show the current 2015 and most Pull Down lots of Dupont IMR8208 are very similar in burn rate / pressure / velocity.... Oh and the wonderful performance through a powder measure..!

One other thing... This new 2015 is "cleaner" than PD Dupont IMR8208.... Not clean like 133... But nothing else is either...

cale

Hey there Jerry,

Forgot how to "break the numbers down" but it's a 2012 lot....... Reads: 1208093

cale
There are apparently different lot number formats. I'd assume what you have is some 2012 lot #3. The 8# jug lot numbers I've seen are different than the 1# bottles.\
The 2010 lot #3 I have appears to be clean but slow, a bunch slower than the old 2015BR. The lot#3 is what I shot all the way through at Weikert. It did well but I shot crappy. I shot the entire 23 targets at 200 without being able to see the rings. I just held on the lower left corner of the black square and shot fast...results, crappy, but not the powders fault. Shot 3 different barrels (Hart, Krieger and a McMillan) so I didn't get much tuning done at 200.

Yup. I've been shooting it all summer. Meters more constant than 133 for me, I shoot it at about 3300fps+, 54.5 clicks. 29.2 gr. Good groups. The 4 lot is slower and the 5 is about the same as 3. T32 will be faster and more in line with 133 velocity. Fairly clean and the same size I've been told. I saw it shoot very well. It will be a hot item when it comes out. Thanks Lou and everyone testing to get this product on the market for us! It will be a winner!

everyone seems to be talking about the velocity of the powder..i would assume as to the tune.. well i was able to get a 8# jug of 2015 that no where on the lable does it say made in canada, only thing on the box it came in and on the bottom of the jug is a little white sticker that says 1 then right below the 1 is 4 7 09..it is a dark black powder that is a very small kernel, i would say as long as wide..so i have no idea what i have..but i took it to a club match with out ever shooting it before..i was shooting a coulmn bullet with it..i started out a 9am at 200 yrds. weighed 28.3 gr off my harrell's measure, loaded 8 rounds..ect.. at the sighter i fired one fouler shot and shot a three shot group that all three are in the same hole,,i was kind of in shock..and looking all over the target for stray bullet holes.. well i shot poorly at the record.but came back to the sighter and shot 4 that are a low 2..wow..so that is how it went shooting good on the sighter then poorly on the record..but finally i shot a .373 at 200..then at 100 yrds.. i shot from 28.3gr's to 29.5 gr's to about the same point of impact and about the same group size..it was just flat out shooting..it shot so well i finally figured out the condition that was giveing me a better group and shot a .126 .. then in a big reverse i had to hold for 4 shots and saved it to a .240..i really dont think it made much difference 28.3 or 29.5 was just shooting good..I cant wait to get the time to head to the range and test it more..but i shot poorly in the match, 5th at 100yrds out of 16.. i dont want to talk about the 200 yrd. but like 11th..but trust me the load and rifle was just flat out shooting, i have not had anything shoot this well so easily..I tryed to buy more powder even though i'm poor..It's GONE...so i was able to buy another 8# jug from another place with the hope that it will be something close to what i have..lol.....but i tuned from 28.3 gr's to 29.5 gr's. i shot the 29.5 most all day..29.5 was starting to get warm..i never tryed to go any hotter..but at this point in time i'm love n the stuff..

Let's have some fun with my very first sighter target with the berger coulmn bullet and the (2015 ?) that i have.
ok i shot a fouler shot, then we had a right to left condition(orange)..good bit a mirrage,,wavey target..so i go to the bottom right sighter bull, now understand i have never shot this powder or bullet before this..I felt i would be safe at 28.0 gr's just so happend my harrell's was thorwing 28.3 gr's at 51 1/2 clicks..so i shoot and the shot is a bit lower than where i would like it to be but i shoot another one and i dont see it..i'm looking hard. well it has to be with the first shot. so i shoot another one and i seen the hole get a little bigger. now i was like holy cow..i'm looking around nervious like i stole something. well i go up to the reccord as fast as i can and shoot a .795...so i come back to the sighter and shoot i think it was 28.8 gr's or close to it..shot 4 in a nice group and one got out high i dont know why. but still i was very happy with the rifle,powder,bullet..I just dont have my bench technique down pat, i try different stuff all the time, sometimes i'm on and sometimes not..but it pleases me greatly to know it's me and not the rifle or load.. But i am hooked..

Attachments

• BR sighter0001.jpg
    BR sighter0001.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Hey there Jerry,

cale

Heres what I found out so far about the 1# jugs. I sent back for further clarification- is it Y/M/D ?? the 8# jugs are M D Y;

Jerry,

The fill date is 12/08/09 and it is Lot 3. Lot 3 is the third lot of powder that we got from GD-OTS in Canada and is actually the slowest lot of 2015 to date. Lot three is scheduled to be our quality control lot and all future lots will be test against Lot 3. I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,

Keith

Is it BR or just 2015. What do the granules look like. Are they similar to 133 or longer?
I have a few 1lb. jugs of AA2015 from back in the 90's. Address=Tenn., little square sticker that states: product of Czech Republic.

FWIW,
Keith in NC

Thanks Jerry..!

Good Info.... Well I'm just thrilled this is happening...

Looks at this time that Powder Valley has 8lbs in stock, Gonna call and see what lot it is.... Honestly, simply if it's the Made in Canada >in red< then I'm buy'n...

Also... BTW... Just checked Midway and they have a sale on some of AA powder... AA2015 8lb's going for $144.00 .. Canadian made..?? Don't know, but it quite likely.

cale

caeboy i ordered a 8# jug from powder valley today, they could not tell me the lot# with out doing some kind of wharehouse inquire thingy..so i said well jusy make sure it's a 2010 or 2011 lot so i dont know what i will get..I was told where i bought the last 8# jug that they did not have any 2009 lots it was all 2010 0r 2011..so i ordered one and got the 1
4 7 09

I'm glad i did..i really like it..so i called today to try and get more and they sold out...so i did not want to take a chance that powder valley would be out by the time i got a inquire thingy done. so i said just ship it and my invoice says want's 2010 or 2011 lot..so we will see what i get..

I felt i would be safe at 28.0 gr's just so happend my harrell's was thorwing 28.3 gr's at 51 1/2 clicks..so i shoot and the shot is a bit lower than where i would like it to be but i shoot another one and i dont see it..i'm looking hard. well it has to be with the first shot. so i shoot another one and i seen the hole get a little bigger. now i was like holy cow..i'm looking around nervious like i stole something. well i go up to the reccord as fast as i can and shoot a .795...so i come back to the sighter and shoot i think it was 28.8 gr's or close to it..shot 4 in a nice group and one got out high i dont know why. but still i was very happy with the rifle,powder,bullet..

Pretty funny... That 3-shot is Outstanding.... Pretty amazing when ya fire #2 and it's "unseen", #3 >just< makes the hole bigger. @200 it's where SR Benchrest is amazing!.... Yea, the shooter, rifle and load look promising..!

Have had a few matches where most sighters were WAY better than the records....;)
cale

Just seen your new post Mark.... Please post the lot # if you wouldn't mind when your shipment gets to your door. Powder Valley is great to work with..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks caroby, i will do...I posted my 100 yrd target under the coulmn bullet thread..once i figgured out the condition that was producing them groups i shot a little one at 100yrds with the 29.5gr load..then that condition went away,,had to shoot the oposit condition and as soon as i fired one shot after waiting a long time, then my condition came back but i had that one hole i had to hold off to for 4 shots for a .240 ..I love it..but i had one group that just went bad for a .550 i dont know what happened..

Heres what I found out so far about the 1# jugs. I sent back for further clarification- is it Y/M/D ?? the 8# jugs are M D Y;

Jerry,

The fill date is 12/08/09 and it is Lot 3. Lot 3 is the third lot of powder that we got from GD-OTS in Canada and is actually the slowest lot of 2015 to date. Lot three is scheduled to be our quality control lot and all future lots will be test against Lot 3. I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,

Keith
Just got an answer about your 1# jug.

The tag shows the M/D/Y/Lot#. The M/D/Y is the fill date.

That being the situation it appears this jug may not have been made in Canada since Keith had told me earlier that Ramshots 2015 made in Canada started in 2010. No big deal though, if it works use it.

help me jerry i'm confused, looks like the e-mail from keith there says, fill date was 12/08/09 and was the third lot from GD-ots in canada?
now the 8# jug i got that has a little white sticker on it that has a 1 and below the 1 is 4 7 09...would that mean it was lot 1 filled 04/07/09 ? but no where on the jug does it say made in canada has the old address on the jug, but the cardboard box it came in says western powders with the montana address and the box had the same little white sticker on it. I have a new 8# jug due here tomorrow from powder valley, powder valley said all they have is 2012 lot..so dont know will see it tomorrow i hope.

Further info on Ramshot AA2015. This afternoon at 4:44PM Eastern time I got a later email that provides much more clarity about the Canadian product and corrects what I finished with in Post # 33 above. Hopes this helps us better understand this new powders manufacturing source.

"This lot 1208093 powder is definitely Canadian made. We received Lot 1 on 4/1/09, Lot 2 on 7/12/09 and Lot 3 on 11/4/09. You have lot 3 of the Canadian made powder. The first lots of 2015 were small lots as we weren't going to order large quantities until we were sure they could hit the burn rate consistently. The Canadians have done an outstanding job keeping the powder consistent and lots 4 and 5 were ordered in larger quantities. The last of the Czech powder was bottled in 08".

Easy way to tell...the pre Canadian 2015 had different shaped grains. The Canadian is about .0235 in diameter and length.

Easy way to tell...the pre Canadian 2015 had different shaped grains. The Canadian is about .0235 in diameter and length.

I believe this... The Canadian General Dynamics produced powder is SMALL in diam and length as Boyd states.. Or for those used to any PD lot of Dupont IMR8208 or T powder / T32 otherwise known as Thunderbird, the powders are Identical except for the New Canadian made powder is not quite as BLACK in color...

Shot 2015 some more this Wed... Good greef It's good..! One of my 22PPC barrels PERKED UP..! Tune was here and here... An here... Amazing!
:D
cale

Volumetric dispensing powder has not improved, nor would it be even with ball powder.

Not wanting to be argumentative here but this may or may not be totally accurate.

It is my understanding that this new powder has a granulation with a length to diameter ratio close to one. To me this translates into a more reproducible throw and a higher apparent density with the advantage of having the option of loading a heavier load when looking for an optimum load density.

Ken

caroby, i got my 8#'er from powder valley friday, lot 4, fill date was 4/19/12..i was able to shoot it some today..82 deg F, 52%RH..bad mixing bowl of conditions. I only shot 29.0, 29.5, 29.8 gr's..threw them all off a harrell's powder meaure. just checked the weight on a little mtm scale to see where i was at..it shot ok in the conditions i had..29.5 seemed the best @.220 group little bit of vertical that was going to take a seating depth change to get rid of(i think)..29.5 gr's chrony'ed at 3,350's..so it seems it will shoot ok..I just retired that rifle till spring along with the lot 1..

i got my 8#'er from powder valley friday, lot 4, fill date was 4/19/12

Appreciated Mark. Looks as if most retailers back stock of 2015 will be the Canadian produced powder... Well, Powder Valley in particular... They tend to move their supply pretty quickly..!

cale

What we shouldn't all forget is this new powder isn't new. It's been around in it's current form for 2 1/2 years evidently. So one must wonder what else in this burn rate is right under our noses. I personally have tinkered a bit with IMR 3031 and X-Terminator. But, in addition to those two RL7, RL10x, H335, IMR 4198, both 4895's, and even Benchmark need revisiting or just run threw paces huh? IMR 3031 is awesome with a chargemaster to do the dirty work....

Tim

Back