Soldering a lug.

brickeye,
You are purging the interior of the barrel.-YES.

It does not matter since you are welding on the exterior of the barrel.-
You haven't a CLUE !

You seem tyo have no idea what you are doing.
If you wanted to attempt to weld a barrel foot on a 1911 barrel the welding is occurring on the OUTSIDE of the barrel.

The purge would be to prevent oxidation from heat on the INSIDE of the chamber.

The purging gas will not be anywhere near the welding.

brickeyee,
WOW,there are 'smiths & there are 'plumbers-
Proceed as you wish to weld a Bbl lug/Foot on any Bbl.

I will continue to PURGE the inside along with TIG torch cover gas to keep the atmosphere from raising carbon, not oxidation.
(Hydrogen in the atmosphere is NOT your "Allie" during any welding process)

Google-
Certified TIG Pipe welding to further your pre-school education on the procedure(s).

brickeyee,
This will really put you in a tail spin-

One can easily "BRAZE" w/ a TIG torch using aluminum or silicon bronze filler wire.
NO flux is used/required.
Cover gas from the TIG torch keeps the atmosphere at bay.
YES,a purge gas on the back side will keep the atmosphere(hydrogen) from contaminating the parent & raising carbon.

TIG Welded cast iron valve seats built up & work hardened/recut seat angle(s) will last lifetimes.

It's not my first rodeo,that was 40 years ago!

I used to design welding procedures in glove boxes (some rather large ones) to completely control the welding environment.

I allows welding on some very much different metals with much better quality.

Like titanium.
Otherwise a real PITA to make welds than are not glass brittle and crack during cooling.

Last edited:
Ol' Beggs again.

To quote Strother Martin in the movie, "Cool Hand Luke." "What we have here is failure to communicate."

Mr Brickeyee, you are evidently an expert in your field as evidenced by some of your comments, especially the one where you say,

"I used to design welding procedures in glove boxes (some rather large ones) to completely control the welding environment."

That tells me you are a retired engineer from a very technical field that included not only welding equipment but a great deal about metallurgy as well. Am I right? :D

I for one have enjoyed watching you make a fool of yourself by trying to advise a man that is, without a doubt, the best in the world at tig welding the handles on bolt action rifles!

But with that being said, don't worry man; we still love you! :p

We just have to have a little fun with someone of us once in a while. :cool: Am I right guys?:)

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene Beggs,
+ +

Brickeyee,
I too have fabricated PURGE TANKS w/ dedicated/sealed torch set ups.

Purge Tanks are the ONLY option by my standards to TIG weld Titanium,Inconel,Monel.

Keep the atmosphere out of your welds & breathe the <20% O2 around you.

Hey Brickeyee,,,

,,,I hope I didn't run you off by poking a little fun at you about trying to advise Dans 40X.:eek:

You're too valuable and knowledgeable to lose. We benchresters need all the help we can get in trying to unlock nature's secrets of extreme rifle accuracy. We've made lots of good progress in recent times and that's reflected in the aggs and match results.

Hope you will stay with us and join in on all the conversations.

Later,

Ol' Man Beggs

Dovetail the lug into the barrel and then soft solder it to keep it from coming loose. Silver soldering or welding will alter the heat treat on the barrel in that spot, maybe even warp it. You can dovetail the lug in and then finish the base to the contour of the barrel and make a really nice looking job.

clowdis,
16 posts earlier-
A dovetailed lug was previously suggested in post #12.

For the most part it is more work and strength than need if you have a correct VIS and rear of the barrel foot to strike the lug. along with actual correct timing and lug length.

Or you can spend hours and effort trying to fix one error with another patch.

many barrels do not have enough wall thickness to have a dovetail that is adequate when used with other errors.

If you cannot keep your gases seperated between urge and welding on the other side of a barrel you have a lot more problems than are realistic.

While purge gasses need a slightly higher pressure initially after that anything much above the ambient pressure in the area is overkill.

The partial pressure of hydrogen (you do understand partial pressure, right) is a tiny fraction of atmospheric pressure.
Adequate flow will completely eliminate it.
It does NOT take all that much pressure.

Back