So much to learn

M

Mushroom

Hi Guys

I am wanting to learn how to shoot distances greater than 300 yards. I am fascinated with delivering a bullet on target at 600 yards and hopefully 1,000 yards once I learn and practice some more.

I don't have a big budget and would like to start with a factory heavy barrel rifle before deciding if it is all that I hoped it would be and then looking at a custom rig.

I am leaning toward something in 308win but have considered everything from 260rem to 300WM. Any advice on cartridge/calibre/factory rifle would be appreciated. Whilst I understand that the rifle is only part of the equation, it is a starting point for me.

I was also wondering if there are any good articles on reading wind conditions? I am trying hard not to get too caught up in the cartridge thing and more in the learning of good shooting positions, consistency in approaching the rifle, target etc.

How much are the leading shooters practicing? What are good training habits to get into? So much to learn.

I hope you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Matt

If you want to try it first, before you dive in then I would recommend a gun that could be sold easily, or put to some other good use. As such I would say that 243 is a very good choice. A 308 is just on the edge of doing 1000 yards, but could really use a little extra case capacity. 300 WM is good, but if you decided not to stick with it then it is not as easy to get rid of or as useful as a hunting gun. There are plenty of better choices in the not so common/non-factory offerings, but for a factory round 243 is good. You can shoot deer, varmints, and sell it quickly and easily. I'd say Remington 700 is the easiest to get to shoot, and the gun with the most after-market accuracy parts floating around. Now you want to get one with the tightest twist you can find so you can shoot heavy match bullets. Look up some Rem 700's on the Rem website and find which heavy barreled model has the tightest twist. Once that's look up Berger bullets and match your twist to the bullet weight. You want to be shooting LD's or VLD's. The heavier the better if your twist will handle it. If you later want to experiment with some other(probably cheaper) bullets like the Hornady A-max(raved about in .22 cal circles) then just get one in a weight close to the Bergers that are recommended for your twist. If you can find some twist tables somewhere that would be handy. Good luck.

If you get a heavy barreled 260 in a remington or a Savage, you will have a rifle that is potentially competitive.
For my first "F" class rifle, I rebarreled a 1965 Model 70 with a Shilen ss barrel which I chambered for 6.5x55. I put it into a McMillan Marksman style stock and put a Weaver 6-24 variable on it. In other words, nothing special. My shooting skills are also nothing special, yet I won some matches and always did pretty well. It is possible to compete on a budget.
The 6.5's (like the 260) are relatively easy to shoot and produce accuracy and ballistics which are up to the task. By the time you wear out the factory barrel, you will be a darn good shot at long range and will be well on your way. Regards, Bill.

Buy the best what your "Budget Money" can buy
-
Peter

Maybe. But my advice would be that before you spend money spend some time watching matches that you think you want to compete in. Spending all of your budget on a rifle which won't quite do the job can be the worst thing you can do. You might be better off to buy a cheap used rifle which won't be competitive at the top level, but will allow you understand the sport, learn trigger and breath control, and, partiuclarly learn how to dope wind. In a couple of years of shooting (and wearing out the barrel) you'll know what rifle you should buy to compete with the best, and whether you want to. You'll have time to save up enough to buy the rifle you really need and more importantly know what that is. In the mean time you'll have a lot of fun getting experience and be able to afford ammo which you can't do without while practicing.

I've seen too many people who give up becasue they aren't winning matches rather than enjoying shooting and watching their skills slowly improve. I knew one shooter who was doing ok but replace his $200 Ruger with a $3000 custom highpower rifle of his dreams. His scores plummeted. Rather than learn to shoot the new gun he droppped out of the sport in frustration.

Up North and above the border the Tikka 6.5 x 55 Super Varmint and Savage 6.5 x 284 F appear to be the most popular rigs in FM class. Popular scope seems to be the leupold VX III long range varmint.

Matt.
Visit some shoots first and figure out what disipline you would like to shoot.
F-Class T/R will be the least expensive and everyone is on a even playing field with caliber restricted to 308 or 223 and some factory rifles are will be competive.

Chuck.

Back