Smiley Hensley Passed away

It pains me a great deal to announce here the passing of one of The Southeast Regions toughest competitors and famous flag maker Smiley Lee Hensley. He passed away this morning after losing his battle with stomach cancer. A great loss to all who knew and competed with him. Our thoughts and prayers to his wife Luella and his entire family. Our sport has lost another good one..

RIP Smiley Lee

Wayne & Pam

it pains me a great deal to announce here the passing of one of the southeast regions toughest competitors and famous flag maker smiley lee hensley. He passed away this morning after losing his battle with stomach cancer. A great loss to all who knew and competed with him. Our thoughts and prayers to his wife luella and his entire family. Our sport has lost another good one..

Rip smiley lee

wayne & pam
sorry to hear was a great freind good luck to his family bill b

Sad news Wayne.
Everyone here that knew him will miss him. There are many stories about Smiley, most probably true, that shed light on the great guy he is/was. I shall miss Smiley for sure.

My view is Passed On rather than Passed Away

I never met Smiley in person but talked with him a few times when I ordered some flags. As long as we keep him in our memories, he is never lost.

Last edited:
It is always painful when someone we know and respect passes away.

When a true Icon passes, it is even more so.

Rest In Peace, Smiley.

Smiley Hensley

Smiley Hensley's Flags have been the flag of choice on many BR Nantional's relay's.

I wonder, how many "hall Of Fame" points have been earned while shooting over Smiley's flags. The first flags I ever owned were Smiley Hensley Flags. Wish I had paid closer attention to what they were telling me. I believe flags make a difference.

My hats off to a great competitor and BR contributor. RIP Smiley.

Glenn

One of the “Greats of Benchrest” always uplifting to see Smiley at a match. He will be missed by all .

Pat Hurley

smiley hensley's flags have been the flag of choice on many br nantional's relay's.

I wonder, how many "hall of fame" points have been earned while shooting over smiley's flags. The first flags i ever owned were smiley hensley flags. Wish i had paid closer attention to what they were telling me. I believe flags make a difference.

My hats off to a great competitor and br contributor. Rip smiley.

Glenn
smileys were designed by bill brawand in 1973sold for 10 dollars a piece bill has first 4 saved museum

Smiley rip

Smiley, RIP. I enjoyed shooting with you
over the years. The best flag maker for bench rest
shooting.

Mel

Great sense of humor!

One of the funniest things I have ever seen at a benchrest match was years ago at Unaka in Tennessee. Smiley was on a relay that was held up due to severe storms moving through the area. Like all shooters on the line, Smiley covered end of his barrel with a cotton towel to keep the rain off. When the rain was over and commence fire was given, Smiley fired his first shot and had forgotten the towel was covering his barrel. Every shooter on the line burst out in laughter and many stood and applauded as hundreds of pieces of white cotton towel went flying down range. And Smiley was laughing right along with them.

RIP Smiley

AS

RIP Smiley

It's hard to believe cancer can grow in a moonshine processing area.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Back