Sketching or drawing program

R

rbjscott

I am looking for a sketching program to make simple drawing. I have no idea what is available. Simple and price are important. Any suggestion or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Depends on what you want to draw and for what purpose.

Many architect/engineer firms use Google Setch Up (there is a free version) to do quick 3D renderings of buildings and sites, but, while it works to scale, it is not suitable for producing dimensioned drawings. Google has some tutorials and there is a "Sketch Up for Dummies" book available.

If you want actual production drawings with dimensions, etc, you will have to use a Computer Aided Design and Drafting program (CAD or CADD). There are some free packages, but I know nothing about those. AutoCAD and Micro Station are the big names for generalized programs, but they are expensive and have steep learning curves (especially Micro Station).

There are numerous clones available, and some are inexpensive but full featured (TurboCAD comes to mind). Do a Google search for CAD Programs. Plenty of program sites and program review sites.

Sketching and drawing

For simple things I use Microsoft Word.
john
Mims, Fl

The problem with most CAD programs is that you have to use them almost daily to stay current in there use. I took a week long class in Pro-E and didn't use it for a month and had to relearn it all. I still draw by hand and scan my drawings into PDF.

While it's true that SketchUp's default set up is 3D, you can change it to 2D. For the price (free), it works OK for doing dimensioned 2D drawings. It is a bit of a pain because you have to actually draw the dimension lines yourself.

CadStd Lite

Take a look at CadStd Lite. It is free. It takes some use and reading to get familiar with it.

Daryl

I am looking for a sketching program to make simple drawing. I have no idea what is available. Simple and price are important. Any suggestion or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Chances are you don't need, nor do you want, a CAD program. I've used Autocad for years but I usually use something else for simple drawings.

Take a look at some of the graphics design programs. CorelDRAW is a good one I've used for a long time and it's great for drawing. I think there is a student version for just over a hundred bucks. However, I suspect you can find something free or nearly free which will meet your needs, or at least get you started.

Sketching and drawing program

Here is an example of a drawing I made in Microsoft work.
john
Mims, Fl.

Attachments

• Circuit #5.doc
    79 KB · Views: 265
http://kat.ph

Just sayin'......I wouldn't mention this site if you hadn't asked! Be careful to read the comments and if you use the software professionally just buy it.

Back