single point threading is 'Mickey Mouse'??

Clownshow. If they dont think that bar will deflect and follow the crooked threads theres no hope for common sense explanations. Im sure they install alot of pre fit and used barrels

I'll be the first person to defend anyone's right to spend their hard earned money as they see fit, but $900 on taps for what appears to be a single thread pitch?

whatever he is smoking I sure would like some..

tapping recievers

yes.........that`s too bad, a man spends a lot of money....really thinks he`s right..... and spends a lot of time writing about it........
Obtaining concentricity is an art learned and taught by experience.....shortcuts often come back to bite.

This guy was on the Practicle Machinist Gunsmith forum and got chased off. His attitude was that his way was the only correct way and everyone else was wrong.

yes.........that`s too bad, a man spends a lot of money....really thinks he`s right..... and spends a lot of time writing about it........
Obtaining concentricity is an art learned and taught by experience.....shortcuts often come back to bite.

The real shame is other people are believing it. Notice he has never mentioned checking parts after he is finished and giving a real t.i.r. number...

Everybody calling him a clown? Did you read the whole thread. He is not tapping new threads, just cleaning them up. What kind of rifles was he working on? Hunting rifles.
The Practical Machinest forum has about as many true great gunsmiths as this forum, damn few. Most learned everything on the net and haven't turned on a machine.

May I be way out to lunch ?? What if lug buttress and front of reciever are true and square to each other , the bolt is true and the threads are loose and may not be true . How much accuracy loss as compared to the same but with trued treads .????

I know some are going to say if you have gone this far ,do the threads as well . Just a hypothetic thought .
Chris

Chris,
As you say the shoulder of the barrel will square up to the squared front ring. He is doing hunting rifles, but doubt that it would hurt a,say, Remington. It doesn't hurt to check the square of the front ring of a custom. I would say 97% at a minimum of hunting receivers are not custom receivers.
Ammashoota, let me ask you this. What accuracy do you ask of your hunting rifle and why?

Everybody calling him a clown? Did you read the whole thread. He is not tapping new threads, just cleaning them up. What kind of rifles was he working on? Hunting rifles.
The Practical Machinest forum has about as many true great gunsmiths as this forum, damn few. Most learned everything on the net and haven't turned on a machine.

I've certainty had my share of differing opinions with Speerchucker on the PM forum but he is no dummy. I have no doubt this method he is using will produce rifles that exceed his customer's expectations. He is a real gunsmith, far more than just a rifle builder.

The only issue I have with it is inconsistent thread sizes. Me being me, I like to create a standard so I am truly "blue-printing" it. I've pretty much been doing this all along but I am finding it even more beneficial now that I am using CNC to fit barrels.

I think I can see a dead center ground into the end of that mandrel. With that setup and the madrel tight into the pilot on the tap itself it probably does a damned good job.

Last edited:
Chris,
As you say the shoulder of the barrel will square up to the squared front ring. He is doing hunting rifles, but doubt that it would hurt a,say, Remington. It doesn't hurt to check the square of the front ring of a custom. I would say 97% at a minimum of hunting receivers are not custom receivers.
Ammashoota, let me ask you this. What accuracy do you ask of your hunting rifle and why?

I try to provide accuracy for hunting rifles of no more than 1 MOA (this appears to be the industry standard if you look at advertising hype for the past several years). The basic problem I see with shooting for 'minute of buffalo' accuracy is that hunting is a high adrenaline activity usually done under less than ideal circumstances. Depending on the hunter's skill, he (or she) may have only a few seconds to acquire their target and shoot. The more accurate the rifle is, the better chance the hunter will have of a clean kill, assuming they do their part.

I am building a 404 Jeffrey right now, and after looking at the amount of contact (it is a used receiver) between the bolt lugs and the receiver, I could certainly improve the contact, but at what gain for the price required? If I had only contact on one lug, I would certainly true it, but given its current condition, I don't believe that is justified.

I will square up the front of the receiver. I tend to put most of my effort into the barrel chambering and threading. The other critical area in hunting rifles which are costly is insuring optimal feeding from a magazine. Depending on the action, this can be very time consuming and account for a lot of what is charged for in a build.

Since the rifle will probably never see a bench after the initial sighting in (ever shoot a DG rifle from a bench?), accuracy beyond a point becomes a phantom that is affected by too many factors that a gunsmith has no control over once the gun leaves his hands.

As I have stated previously, I would find it hard to justify the cost involved in having so many taps made to attempt to true the action threads on a single receiver.

On a bad day I can single point the action threads in under 30 minutes with a $12-15 threading insert. However, it is his money to spend as he wishes.

On the other hand, if someone came to me and asked me to build them a rifle to hunt mule deer with at 400+ yards, I would treat the project differently. While I personally would not take a shot beyond 300 yards, I understand that certain animals (big horn or Dall sheep are another example) can provide a challenge that might require a higher level of accuracy.

It's like I have heard it said in auto racing: "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?"

Cleaning up threads

I`ve had Remington receivers that the barrel threads were .013" out of con with bolt raceway. I would not trust a tap/taps to align threads to raceway.....

A tap follows the hole or existing threads it will not cut on just one side to straighten a crooked hole no matter how its held

A tap follows the hole or existing threads it will not cut on just one side to straighten a crooked hole no matter how its held

Exactly so why bother making a crooked thread crooked and oversize. If you are going to have to oversize you might as well make them straight. just my opinion.:confused:

Being held the way it is, maybe, just maybe it'll act like a single point since the leading thread will be offset and the first point to make contact with the existing. I'd like to see some measurements taken after the work is done before I make judgment or completely crap on his method.

Back