Sinclair front rest

danyboy

I have the original Sinclair front rest with a protek owl ear bag but ears don't go up enough and forend is wobbling a little, giving less accurate results. Is there another kind of front bag on the market that would fit this front rest ? OR, any restriction in Benchrest rules for VFS on homemade front rest bag. I was thinking, since my homemade walnut stock has a square forend of 2 1/4" wide by 2" high, maybe I could make a square wooden square U shape rack covered with felt. Does it absolutely have to be a sand bag or any other material would be accepted?

The rules say, bag filled with sand. You should be able to get a flat bag with ears set up for 2 1/4 inch fore end. The rules also state that the rifle must not be locked into the bag or that it must be lifted out of the bag, but then you don’t want it so tight that the fore end is too tight. Does Protektor make a bag for 2 1/4 inch fore end? If they don’t I would think they can make one for you. They are quite easy to deal with. The standard fore end width is 3 inches.

FBecigneul, looked on the protector site and they do have a square bag. Thanks for the tip and also rules specs.

Last edited:
Yes, you can alter the front rest. I’m not too keen on altering the fore end either. I just noticed you’re from Drummondville, home of the Dionnes, Yvan Cournoyer, Yvon Lambert, and others. Have you ever heard of Ste. Petronille, Ile D’Orlean?

.....any restriction in Benchrest rules for VFS on homemade front rest bag. I was thinking, since my homemade walnut stock has a square forend of 2 1/4" wide by 2" high....

For a VFS gun, you can use a 3" wide fore end stock.....makes a huge difference over the 2 1/4" stocks that the Hunter Class guns have to use.

I see, I guess not too late, maybe I could modify the forend by gluing hard wood moldings on both sides to make it 3" wide.
Thanks.
This is a 2 1/4" fore end Hunter stock that I converted to a 3" fore end. The first order of business was to straighten and square up the bottom and the sides. It moved around more than a Saturday night drunk....this is how much milling it took to square the bottom relative to the long axis of the barrelled action. :eek:

I'd encourage you to get your hands on a commonly available 3" front bag that works in your rest top and profile the stock to match the bag. Doing it the other way around will be like pushing a rope...you might finally get there but it will be a lot of work with compromised results. :) Hang a pic of your rest top...I've got a gaggle of extra 3" front bags and maybe an extra Hoehn windage top.

XmJq3q5h.jpg

This is a 2 1/4" fore end Hunter stock that I converted to a 3" fore end. The first order of business was to straighten and square up the bottom and the sides. It moved around more than a Saturday night drunk....this is how much milling it took to square the bottom relative to the long axis of the barrelled action. :eek:

I'd encourage you to get your hands on a commonly available 3" front bag that works in your rest top and profile the stock to match the bag. Doing it the other way around will be like pushing a rope...you might finally get there but it will be a lot of work with compromised results. :) Hang a pic of your rest top...I've got a gaggle of extra 3" front bags and maybe an extra Hoehn windage top.

XmJq3q5h.jpg

First pic has a 3" bag, second a square 2" one I used yesterday in a competition. Stand is an original Sinclair I modified to ad windage. I realize your suggestion of a Hoehn top would probably not fit my Sinclair .

Attachments

• 998B29A6-F1F8-47A1-B23F-678315B8E84C.jpeg
    998B29A6-F1F8-47A1-B23F-678315B8E84C.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 265AC679-A696-4058-85F0-C4EA623A615A.jpeg
    265AC679-A696-4058-85F0-C4EA623A615A.jpeg
    719.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Good deal ! Wish I had seen this before. I just finished à base plate for a Protektor front rest that was too light. Also widened forend to 3". Can't wait to try it out. If not satisfied, I'll give this Shadeetree a try.
Thanks

Attachments

• F4EFFE87-8F57-40DA-878B-C4D4520F07C7.jpeg
    F4EFFE87-8F57-40DA-878B-C4D4520F07C7.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 14
The regulations specify the use of a sand-filled bag. Ideally, you should be able to acquire a flat bag equipped with ears designed for a 2 1/4 inch fore end. It's important to note that while the rules require that the rifle isn't locked into the bag and can be lifted out, you also don't want it to fit so tightly that the fore end is constrained. Whether you're a busy student or a working professional, keeping track of your to-do list can be a challenge. If Protektor doesn't currently offer a bag for a 2 1/4 inch fore end, I believe they could create one upon request, as they are typically accommodating. It's worth mentioning that the standard fore end width is typically 3 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sinclair 2" one fits the Protektor butI ended up enlarging the forend to 3" . Works good but front stand was too light, made a steel plate that goes underneath . I might give the Shadee three front stand top a try. Expenses never seem to stop ! Oh well, better this than drinking all day or doing drugs !

Attachments

• A5A81306-C805-4C0D-BD61-62B2C2F1A82A.jpeg
    A5A81306-C805-4C0D-BD61-62B2C2F1A82A.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
The Sinclair 2" one fits the Protektor butI ended up enlarging the forend to 3" . Works good but front stand was too light, made a steel plate that goes underneath . I might give the Shadee three front stand top a try. Expenses never seem to stop ! Oh well, better this than drinking all day or doing drugs !
Butch's shadetree top is an excellent option, works great

Back