Show me your shooting shack.

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
I have recently moved to a place where I can do some shooting out back. I have a place leveled off for a shack and I have berms at 40 and 80 yards (I could have got more but I was opting for maximum safety and noise containment). My concept for the shack is something like a 10' by 10' cabin with a peaked roof and a 10' x 6' porch on the front. The bench would likely be on the porch. This shack would have windows on all sides and double as a hunting blind for coyotes and deer.

I would like to see how other people have their shooting shacks set up. Did you buy something pre-built or prefab? Did you get plans from somewhere? How much did you spend? I am OK as a carpenter but starting from a plan is definitely easier.

Mines a little over the top! It's a 16x32 building with a 16x16 basement. The basement has a bench that's set up to shoot down a 100 yard long concrete ditch. Upstairs has a bench where we can shoot 100 and 200 yards.

I should add that ours could be easily enclosed...which I think is what you're after. We toyed with the idea and may do so in time.

And Bart, I never get tired of seeing your set-up. Beautifully done.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Wow! You guys are serious!

Those are some admirable efforts there. I guess if you're serious enough about it to win matches, you're serious enough to build a great home range. I'm not quite there yet. Maybe when I retire and have more time.

Thanks for posting.

Like Bart, mine's a little over the top also, and not necessarily because it's constructed over a basement. LOL

I estimate 40,000 to 50,000 rds since I built it some 9 yrs ago.

Landy

Cement1.jpg

Cement2.jpg

Tunnel-1.jpg

10_16_09.jpg

aTestingMaina.jpg

aTestingTunnela.jpg

aTestingFacility1a.jpg

A bit out of my price range, but........

It's nice to see the level of commitment some folks have to their shooting.

I'm also wondering about noise reduction setups. I have heard that making a tube of old tires and shooting through that can knock the decibels down quite a bit. Today I saw some corrugated plastic culverts about two feet in diameter. I'm wondering if shooting through about a ten foot length of that would help?

Shooting Shack

12509617_10205676785820882_3810658678674290611_n.jpg My little 8x12 portable shed isn't fancy , its insulated and I have an electric heater in it . 100 yards.

baffle system

I have built 4 different baffle systems which connect to my shooting shack. What I quickly learned is that if you build small tunnels to shoot through you will not be happy with all your hard work. It would be better to build something like 6 to 8 ft tall and 4 to 6 feet wide. Shooting through small culverts, or tires will allow dust and powder residue to build up inside. Once this happens, when you shoot a round a lot of this dust ( and smoke) will be floating around, and if the wind is right it will come back at you, and so will the muzzle blast, and you are done. My final build is built out of treated plywood, pink foam insulation, and carpet. This will absorb a lot of the muzzel blast, but not the crack of the bullet. Save time and money, and don't build a small baffle system. DJB

I have wondered

I have built 4 different baffle systems which connect to my shooting shack. What I quickly learned is that if you build small tunnels to shoot through you will not be happy with all your hard work. It would be better to build something like 6 to 8 ft tall and 4 to 6 feet wide. Shooting through small culverts, or tires will allow dust and powder residue to build up inside. Once this happens, when you shoot a round a lot of this dust ( and smoke) will be floating around, and if the wind is right it will come back at you, and so will the muzzle blast, and you are done. My final build is built out of treated plywood, pink foam insulation, and carpet. This will absorb a lot of the muzzel blast, but not the crack of the bullet. Save time and money, and don't build a small baffle system. DJB

if buying 3 uses, insulated semi trailers and join them together might be a good way to approach an indoor shooting facility. If I had been able to keep my last property and home, I would have done it but divorce took care of that :(

Pete

I hear ya about baffles vs. tubes

I had thought about the drawbacks of tubes. One of them is that you have to keep the wasps from building something inside. I once used two poly barrels end-to-end with insulation inside kept in place by a roll of fencing. It was messy, and certainly a low-usage kind of deal. It did work pretty good for noise reduction, however.

I had thought about putting the bench inside the shack and having double doors that fold out. They would contain some of the muzzle blast.

This is our shooting shack, Not much but very comfey in dec. in pa. 800to2500 yds

Attachments

• My birthday 036.jpg
    My birthday 036.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 512
  • My birthday 034.jpg
    My birthday 034.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 481
  • My birthday 035.jpg
    My birthday 035.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 490
Back