Should I freeze or not

• Thread starter mike worthingto
  • Start date
M

mike worthingto

I have a new Shilen Rachet on the way .Would you freeze it or save your money?

MW:D

Freezing mine

I just got my Shilen ratchet last week for my 101/2# gun. I wanted to try it and if it doesn't work I'm only out $60. I am taking it to be chambered and threaded next week. I am anxious to see what the smith has to say about how it reams as they are supposed to ream and threat easier. They are also supposed to clean easier. Don't know but I thought it was worth a try.

Mike,
email me or call and I can give you some names and emails or phone #'s of folks that have them already. That way you can get some apples to apples info.

Carp

Freeze IT

I have a Davis 40X,we froze.
The Pacific Tool & Gauge Bolt & Action plus the Kelby trigger....it is so smooth it is unreal.
I also froze the tuner,so the stuff wouldn't stick.
Jerry Graves told me barrels clean better/easy.

I'm sold on it.

Everything I've read about freezing says it does no harm, and the improvement is unmeasurable, except to the wallet.

Picher

Smoother For Sure

I had the deep freeze done,it takes all week end.Think it is a -350 degrees they go to.
My whole action trigger bolt and what ever.....no barrel.
Tuner and bloop tube.This is a prone rifle.I will do the rear sight also.
Everything is smoother.
If getting a new barrel,it would be also.It will clean better and with less effert.I feel the carbon won't stick.

I am sold on it.

Think about it

Mike if you just wait a couple of months you can just put it in your backyard...... it gets about that cold up there right:D

MD:cool:

I really should give it to Joe H. in the UP and have him throw it in the snow bank and I could dig it up in the spring!:rolleyes: Oh well ;seriously I had a rachet that was froze and it shot real well. This one is going the same route with the same results ,I hope. :D

MW

At the BR-50 Nationals, I think in 96, I won a free freeze job. I sent in my Time barrel and action, removed the bolt release spring. I could not see measurable improvement, but the gun already shot pretty good. I finally ruined that barrel in 2000 and haven't had as good a barrel since. Maybe I should freeze my current barrels. But I suspect the reason I don't shoot as well is I don't practice or take as much time tuning as I did then. So many variables. Rich

Back