Shooting Rest

Lefty#44

I am considering buying a cast-iron Bald Eagle Model 1152. I have been using some Caldwell sand filled bags but would like to have something that would allow for greater accuracy. Anyone have experience with the Bald Eagle brand shooting rest?

For the $$ the rest is much better then the others at it's price mark. You will find the adjustments course and jerky but with the modifications you can easily make yourself you can really improve it's functionality.
I would really suggest that you keep an eye out for a used Sinclair or even consider a new one when they have a 10% off sale with free shipping (often)

Good luck which ever way you go.

ps also see: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773617

Last edited:
Bald Eagle builds a fine front rest especially in cast iron triangle, one feature above other brands is a rack and pinion course elevation adjustment.
J

Lefty,
What sort of rifle(s) are you shooting off that front rest. I ask because you can get a nice 3 inch wide shaped bag for a Bench Rest rifle. You need the Bench Rest 3” top in order to use it. If you are using this rest for hunting type rifles you can get the top for hunting rifles. You can also get that Bald Eagle with both tops and switch back and forth. Bald Eagle is arguably the best rest for what you are looking for now and for in the hopefully future. And I would get the triangle leg arrangement in cast iron. Bald Eagle also has an aluminum rest that is too light to satisfy me and they have the sling shot model which is to narrow to suit my fancy.

Bald Eagle builds a fine front rest especially in cast iron triangle, one feature above other brands is a rack and pinion course elevation adjustment.
J

I firmly believe the Bald Eagle is better than the Sinclair and Hart 3 leg rests. Of course the reason for my opinion is the easier to use rack and pinion rough vertical adjustment. A cast iron base is a cast iron base. The only real problem with the Caldwell Rock base is it is taller than the others and can give you a problem if shooting at a range that that slopes away to the target.
All of them need a better quality bag top.

Hart

Ive got a Hart with both tops. Got the bag in the top too low for the sporter top. Took it out and put a cardboard spacer under it. Works fine now. Was knocking my sling swivel studs forward with the recoil hitting that brass piece. Doug

I firmly believe the Bald Eagle is better than the Sinclair and Hart 3 leg rests. Of course the reason for my opinion is the easier to use rack and pinion rough vertical adjustment. A cast iron base is a cast iron base. The only real problem with the Caldwell Rock base is it is taller than the others and can give you a problem if shooting at a range that that slopes away to the target.
All of them need a better quality bag top.

This ^^^

I started with the Bald Eagle Rest and the Aluminum One and not the cast iron one (cheaper shipping to get it). I was very impressed with the value though I found the lateral movement control to be problematic. Then I went to the PA 1000 Yard Benchrest School and saw that you can remove the goose neck control, reverse the top cradle and install the goose neck knob directly and have great and positive lateral control. Next modification was the addition of a thick steel plate with new adjustment screws. For a total of about $300.00 it became a Great Rest, which I now use as a back up to my SEB NEO.

Bob

Sinclair/brownells has a nice rest at 650. windage and some weight.
br competition rest, they have a casual version also

FWIW I'll add an endorsement for the Grizzly. Any Grizzly.....The rack and pinion feature alone is worth it and since I carry a couple 25lb bags of shot in my rollaround the base weight isn't an issue, for me. I useta' make bases for every rest, great herkin' 50lbers and have to load about 6 of them, now I just adapt everything to the bags of shot.

Clean wet bench, some superfeets, some old pingypongy paddle rubber (the real stuff, like SpinSpiel/Joola/Stiga) and me' shotbags...... ya's cain't shift me' front with a bat

Back