Shooting off a bipod

R

Roy Allain

1st time shooting off a bipod

I just mounted a 9-13in. "S" Harris bipod on my .308 to be used for 600 or possibly 1000 yards.

However, while shooting at 200 yards at my club range with wind flags and 5/15 mph winds, I could not put 2 bullets together on 3 separate targets for a total of 20 fired.

I have shot 3/8 to 1/2 groups with my buddy's cheapie Chinese bipod. His is a similar "S" type.

I am a Benchrest shooter and 3 in. groups are not in my play book.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss to explain this.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy, I believe that you will find it difficult to be competitive at 600/1000 yd BR with a bipod. To me the problem is to get consistent movement of the rifle as it recoils. I may be wrong, but I believe that you would be better off shooting off a good slick front bag on a solid rest. Good shooting...James Mock

If your intention is to use the bipod for sanctioned 600/1000-BR matches, bipods I don't believe comply to the rules. And believe sand bags must be used and with no attachments to the rest.

As to why you can't shoot well with the Harris at 200: no input, sorry.....
But since the Chinese one works, does sound like there could be possible issues with the Harris unit itself, but just speculating...

Donovan Moran

Bipod for 600/1000 yards - against rules!!! Wow.

If your intention is to use the bipod for sanctioned 600/1000-BR matches, bipods I don't believe comply to the rules. And believe sand bags must be used and with no attachments to the rest.

As to why you can't shoot well with the Harris at 200: no input, sorry.....
But since the Chinese one works, does sound like there could be possible issues with the Harris unit itself, but just speculating...

Donovan Moran

As I have not yet shot 600 or 1000 I am probably thinking of F-Class, which I also have not yet done. Brain fart.

Roy:confused:

Roy try loading the legs of the bipod with slight forward pressure. It makes recoil more consistent.
Also make sure the screw holding the bipod on is tight. If it is loose it will cause big groups.

I recently learned that bipods require technique. I bought a Tubb 2000 because of the accuracy and what I consider adaptability for more than just Hi-Power. I added a front sled for bag riding to test loads and shoot F-Open. F-T/R requires a bipod. I bought a Sinclair folding model bipod because I could use it in the field better than the fixed F-Class models. It didn't take me long to learn that I shoot better off of a front rest than a bipod. In my opinion, a bipod requires as much technique and consistent position as shooting from a sling and a coat. I agree that preloading helps. The soft rubber feet on the Sinclair don't play well on a hard surface.
I tried shooting prone from the bipod at 200 meters and quickly learned that they are not as easy to master as one would think. My rifle is not a 308 so it doesn't make F-T/R rules so I have to shoot in F-Open with it, in which case I will use the front sled and a rest rather than the bipod.

I have to make a few mechanical corrections

Roy try loading the legs of the bipod with slight forward pressure. It makes recoil more consistent. Also make sure the screw holding the bipod on is tight. If it is loose it will cause big groups.

Thanks for the input. I do load the legs. I also realized I have to do someting about the slipping on concrete. I haven't thought it out yet.

I will check out the bipod screw. I have a Harris attachment on the flat benchrest stock I'm using right now.

I am also modifying the tilt screw to allow better tightening. That may also help.

One thing at a time though. Too many variables.

Thanks again.

Roy

Double layer of perforated rubber shelf / drawer liner under the legs, allows pre-loading them w/o skidding.

Bipods at 600-1000 yds

There are a number of very good Bipods out there now. I own two Harris bipods and only use them on hunting rifles now. I have two Center Shot Bipods and they work well. There are some who prefer the Duplin or Rumple because they are all metal. There are some who prefer the Sinclair because of its width. There is a new Bipod on the market the "MPOD" Made by Mystic Precision, it is all metal and attaches to a front rail not a slling swivel stud. It is both light, rigid and only adjust for elevation. It follows the "KISS Principle" . It does not fold up, it slides into a metal track under the fore end of the rifle. I have been quite impressed with this Bipod. The manufacture has a webb site (www.mysticprecision.com) and ships to the United States.
Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
Bipod Loading

To load my Harris bipod I use the web strap that sewn perpendicular to mat length at the front, to 'hook' the bipod legs on. This provides resistance to push the legs forward for what I think is a consistent, repeatable loading...if I remember to do it each time.

Mat web strap

To load my Harris bipod I use the web strap that sewn perpendicular to mat length at the front, to 'hook' the bipod legs on. This provides resistance to push the legs forward for what I think is a consistent, repeatable loading...if I remember to do it each time.

Thanks Trhodes.

I've been thinking along the lines of some sort of stop for the bipod, but am hindered by the rules. This may be what I need. Perhaps I am reading too much into them. A phone call or 2 to some friends about this might just be the thing.

Thanks,

Roy

Bipod for F-Class

By far the most popular bipod for F-Class that I have seen is the Sinclair http://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...r-3rd-generation-f-class-bipod-prod44699.aspx

I also use one of these and they are GREAT. Instead of hoping, the bipod slides back greatly increasing the scores in my opinion. I use a small carpet door mat under the bipod to let it slide better when shooting prone from a grass berm.

Welcome to F-Class (known by the sling shooters as Belly Benchrest)

George

A couple of questions, George. Are you able to keep the target in scope view after breaking the shot and see impact/trace? (I loose the target at recoil and can't see impact. Would like to when not on the formal range.)
What caliber are you shooting?

Good Morning,

I also use the Sinclair Gen III Bipod. I have mine set up to shoot off of a carpeted 1/2" thick plywood board. It tracks extremely well once I get it set up. My 600 yard F/TR scores have gotten much better since I changed over from the Harris (588 21X, 585 23X, last two shoots). I use a very light hold and let the recoil from my rifle slide the bipod back. I don't see the bullet impact the target because of the recoil, but I usually practice with a buddy and we do pit duty for each other.

Ken

Trhodes, when I get my body at about a 30 degree angle to the bore the rifle recoils straight back, never loosing sight of the target. But I do not see the trace or the impact. (I have been taught that to see the trace the scope or spotting scope should be focused at a distance shorter than the target.) Never ever seen the bullet impact the target, just the hole after impact.

Back