Shooting glasses?

TrxR

Anyone got suggestions on good shooting glasses? Ive been looking at Decots with the adjustable bridge and Randolph Ranger Edges. I would be using them for trap shooting as well a benchrest.

Thanks

Rudy Project

I've been using Rudy Project glasses for the last ~20 years (same pair!). Great glasses, interchangeable lenses. I find myself mostly using the 'laser clear' lens which is clear with a little gray tint at the top. Now that I *need* some sort of corrective lens I'll have to do something different (I think...) - I'd be happy to hear from others about corrective shooting glasses.

GsT

As Lou says I have the plastic lenses and I have had that problem myself now that he brings it up. Probably why it makes it abit more challenging when I am adjusting my parallax. Only reason I have the plastic is I needed protective lenses for work. Lou to your knowledge do they make any type of protective glass lenses. Now that I no longer work I probably don't need the plastic when sitting behind a scope as you have brought up. But I also do some home shop machining and trying to use safety glasses over my glasses or a face shield just simply does not work for myself.

Last edited:
I will offer this suggestion (even though you stated that you would like to use the glasses for trap shooting)... Champion shooting frame(s). I have used them for both rifle and pistol shooting. They are a necessity for both disciplines. You can adjust the frame and lens(es) to get a perfectly sharp image through either irons or scope. By that I mean that you can adjust the focal point so that it is absolutely perfect. They are made in Switzerland and can be purchased from a few dealers in the states. A great optometrist is paramount to making a perfect lens. Get the lens(es) edge coated in black - sunlight will enter the edge of the lens and distort your vision.

Matt

Jackie Schmidt what type do you wear for work and for competitive shooting to protect yourself. Reason I ask is you are always around all types of machinery and curious if use something special and dedicated to just competitive shooting or just use the same for both as I do myself. This is a very interesting topic not having tried something more specialized to just shooting myself. And Lou has already brought up a very good and valuable point.

For rifle or pistol, the Champion or Knobloch adjustable frames are great. You can put the optical center directly in the center of your line of sight for each shooting position. You need to find an optometrist who will allow yo to bring a gun into their office, so that you can get the prescription right. The Knobloch's were all I used shooting both Service Rifle and International Match Rifle. I have an astigmatism and the optician ground a small notch on the edge of the lens that allowed me to rotate the 37mm round lens in its holder for each position to keep the sights and target looking straight.

Last edited:
Im currently not needing prescription . From what i understand the Ranger edge frames do have an adjustable bridge to adjust the lense height.

Last edited:
Which ones do you use? Ive looked at them and they are pricey.

Ive also heard of fogging issues with the one pieces lenses where they tend to wrap around the side a bit more and prevent air flow. Do you have any issues with fogging?

Trxr

I have the Pilla panther X6 Post 10 year old style frames. the current panther x7 lens's will work on the old frame.
They have an adjustable nose piece {post} to move lenses up & down

The 52CHC made by ZEIS lenses are an outstanding all around lens color for trapshooting, benchrest shooting & pistol shooting!

The crosshairs will not shift around while looking through them.

Spend a little time on Pilla's web site and research their lens description {color, high definition, high contrast, light transmission}.

52CHC
52=52% light transmission
C=Chromashift color {makes the red rings in benchrest score shooting & the orange color clay target for trapshooting really standout!}
HC=High contrast

I also have a lens that enhances the orange clay target color 200% {make them look like the size of trash can lids}

I have never had an issue with the lenses fogging up! the folks that live in the southern states with high humidity I could see them maybe having an issue.

L&M Lenses { https://lmlenses.com/ } sells several different brands of shooting glasses and will work with you & your shooting needs

I have zero regrets of buying them! they have served me very well for the last 10 years!

If they get broke or I lose them. I would buy the same thing in a heartbeat!

Good luck!
Russ

Last edited:
Trxr

I have the Pilla panther X6 Post 10 year old style frames. the current panther x7 lens's will work on the old frame.
They have an adjustable nose piece {post} to move lenses up & down

The 52CHC made by ZEIS lenses are an outstanding all around lens color for trapshooting, benchrest shooting & pistol shooting!

The crosshairs will not shift around while looking through them.

Spend a little time on Pilla's web site and research their lens description {color, high definition, high contrast, light transmission}.

52CHC
52=52% light transmission
C=Chromashift color {makes the red rings in benchrest score shooting & the orange color clay target for trapshooting really standout!}
HC=High contrast

I also have a lens that enhances the orange clay target color 200% {make them look like the size of trash can lids}

I have never had an issue with the lenses fogging up! the folks that live in the southern states with high humidity I could see them maybe having an issue.

L&M Lenses { https://lmlenses.com/ } sells several different brands of shooting glasses and will work with you & your shooting needs

I have zero regrets of buying them! they have served me very well for the last 10 years!

If they get broke or I lose them. I would buy the same thing in a heartbeat!

Good luck!
Russ

Russ, they may be nice - But - these are no longer legal @ Webster City, IA (Boone Valley Ikes) BR events. Get some of the "tacti-cool" TV glasses and be happy we allow YOU to use those. We knew that you had to be using something which imparted an unfair advantage!!:p:cool:
I have used prescription Zeiss and/or Decott Hy-Wyd for over 20 years now, and prior to that, B&L glass - I'll take "plastic" every time.;)RG

Last edited:
Randy

I just spit my coffee out laughing!

My Dad had two phrases he used often:
#1 “You can’t hit what you can’t see!”
#2 “Do you want to hit what your aiming at? or just go by it really fast!”

The way I see It! If you can figure out how to improve on those two phrases. It’s a good thing!

"tacti-cool" TV glasses! Aren’t those the cardboard 3-D glasses!

I have a top-secret research and development crew working on glasses with a military heads-up display that see’s the wind and the word’s
“DON’T SHOOT NOW DUMMY!” Only appear during a wind let-up or a wind gust!

Pilla and Zeiss are on top of modern Technology!

I’ll see you in a few weeks
Russ

Im taking a serious look at the Pillas or Ranger Edge.

I see Re Ranger states they use Zeiss lenses as well.

When I had my cataracts removed and also one with stigmatism I also had corrective lenses permanently installed. And what is confusing to me is everyone talking about benchrest shooting or trap and position shooting as well. My own needs would be just for scoped benchrest shooting alone and not sure how to go about separating what is not directly related to it from all of the rest.

Last edited:
Shooting Glasses

I found an Optometrist,15 years ago, who was an avid Shot Gun Sports Competitor. He knew a lot about lens choices, Vision corrective positioning in lens, and overall shooting glasses safety. I had him do a set of polycarbonate lens for my Decot frames. It may be of benefit to sit down with a vision expert and explain what you think you may need. Just a suggestion.

Glenn

I found an Optometrist,15 years ago, who was an avid Shot Gun Sports Competitor. He knew a lot about lens choices, Vision corrective positioning in lens, and overall shooting glasses safety. I had him do a set of polycarbonate lens for my Decot frames. It may be of benefit to sit down with a vision expert and explain what you think you may need. Just a suggestion.

Glenn

That's a good suggestion but I very much doubt I will find an optometrist around here that knows anything about shooting.

Back