Shooting from a bipod

Set the plastic 'mat' out in front of your firing position, and have pretty much identical behavior regardless of whether the firing line is concrete, cinder ash, 3/4 minus rock, gravel, grass, sand...

If you end up getting something with a wider foot print, like the Sinclair or a Center Shot... take two of the plastic mats and put a couple velcro dots on them so they over lap by an inch or so. Voila!

Haha! I do the same thing, but I use the rear floor mat out of my car! The spikey nubs and stiff underside make firing line conditions a whole lot more consistent.

Car floor mat

Haha! I do the same thing, but I use the rear floor mat out of my car! The spikey nubs and stiff underside make firing line conditions a whole lot more consistent.

Me too! - NHK

The spikey nubs and stiff underside make firing line conditions a whole lot more consistent.
Noticed this in the NRA F(TR) rules...
The use of any form of a table is prohibited. Separate flat boards or plates not exceeding the dimensions
of the individual rests by two inches are allowed to be placed under the front and/or rear rests. In the
case of a bipod, the board or plate may not exceed the width of the bipod by 2", nor be more than 12"
front to rear. See Rule 3.4.1(a)(1).
No leveling screws or protrusions are allowed on these boards or plates. They must be flat on the top
and bottom..

The spikey nubs are not allowed, the surface must be flat. Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

Noticed this in the NRA F(TR) rules...

The spikey nubs are not allowed, the surface must be flat. Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

Dunno, don't think the floor mat would be considered a 'board or plate' it's not really hard or flat. ?? Don't know for sure though...

Terry,

Given that the nubs don't really protrude into the ground plus the mat being flexible i.e. not a board or plate, I think it'd probably fly. I got the NRA Ref @ the 2010 FCNC in Sacramento to look at my dual cutting-sheet setup and he deemed that even though it was outside the 'footprint' it wasn't stiff enough (i.e. it can be rolled up in a tube) to be a board or plate and was good to go. I might be wrong... but there are other things that offend my sense of 'right' more than someone using the floor mat from their car - like a certain shooter who has a wooden 'cleat' attached to the front edge of his mat to give him something to push against and load his bipod. I have a hard time finding anything specific in the rules against that. It'd probably be a bigger deal if he started running away from the pack, though.

Monte

Monte,

I believe it could have been successfully argued that the wooden cleat on the front edge went against the rule of a flat surface. So, I was thinking what if the nubs were on the upside of the mat?

Terry P

I think there they would interfere with tracking under recoil, and a person would be better off with a plastic sheet like what I use ;)

Bipod

I think there they would interfere with tracking under recoil, and a person would be better off with a plastic sheet like what I use ;)

I think this is rather humorous, and I don't mean your comment, but I mentioned tracking under recoil with a bipod and was informed I was shooting all wrong awhile back. I was informed I must preload the bipod and hold the recoil with a bipod when I mentioned I discovered I could shoot better off the varnished top on my portable bench than the cement tops at the range because of the ability to track with the rubber feet on my Harris bipods. I now use a piece of counter top with formica over the cement and the car mat on the ground. I went to the carpet car mat at Raton because of the cinder surface there and that was all I had available and then found it works over bunch grass at Cheyenne too. I stretched a poly tarp under the bipod when I shot the .50 BMG at Raton and that helped also, plus kept the muzzle brake from blowing up debri. - nhk

I was informed I was shooting all wrong awhile back. I was informed I must preload the bipod and hold the recoil

It depends somewhat on what kind of bipod. Some of the tactical bipods (including the Harris) do seem to shoot better if you load them some - or at least they bounce less. In my experience the ski type bipods don't take pre-loading well and are better off with a neutral or light hold. I still put some shoulder pressure on them, but given that mine is sitting atop a slick plastic sheet, not very much.

Raton was where I got turned on to these sheets, btw. I had been using a set of Pod-Paws at the time, which did fine on concrete and grass, and didn't sink in gravel, but that dang 500yd line @ Raton seems like its all cinder-ash and even the big feet on the Pod-Paws would sink in after a couple shots. A team mate was using those plastic sheets and not having any problems, so we went into Raton after the first night and found some of the plastic cutting sheets in the local IGA store ;)

Preload or track

I think it comes down to what works best for you. I started shooting with a bipod on my own and had pretty much established my method before I was told how I needed to do it. My first bipod experience was with the .50 BMG and you are going to track with that. I 'think' I hold pretty neutral to slight pressure and move with the rifle. I shoot everything with a bipod now, off a bench or prone, .17 HMR to .308 Win. - nhk

Back