Shooting Chrony Beta

F

ForneyRider

I lost one of the metal poles. Can I just use wood dowel?

I used dowels on mine for a while until I felt I could trust myself not to wreck the next set of metal ones.
Don`t ask what I`m using today......

Wooden dowels will prevent the electronics from getting all frazzled like a bullet will do by hitting the metal rods. The instructions on my Chrony even mention this option.

However, I abandoned the idea of using dowels after seeing how they provide poor support in a 10-15 MPH breeze and cause the diffusers to shake like crazy.

I don't know what the rods look like for a Chrony, but my chronograph "lost" one of the rods too. Mine were 3/16" diameter, so I went to home depot and bought a section of 3/16" steel rod and cut it into pieces the same length as the originals. Now I have two spares in case I shoot.... err, :eek: I mean "lose" another rod. :)

The softer the rods are when you shoot them (notice I didn't say if you hit them) the less potential exists for transmitting damage down the rod and into the chrono itself. Aluminum welding fill rod or solid aluminum clothesline approximate the rods that came with my Chronys. The softer the better!

Greg

I like the aluminum welding rod idea even better! I'll have to try that instead. :)

Back