Shipping a rifle?

BRS1965

Can I as an individual, ship a rifle to an FFL holder in another state, for the buyer of the rifle? I think that is legal.

What do I need from the FFL holder?

Any recommendations on the shipper to use? ie; UPS, Fedex, USPS?

Thanks and regards,
Bill

FFL's & shipping

Check with the FFL you are shipping to and make sure he will accept it and what he requires, such as a copy of your drivers license to run it through his books!
They are not all the same!
Good Luck!
Pete

I have had the least trouble with USPS shipping firearms. The local UPS stores do not accept firearms and you have to go to the distribution center, but I have not had any problems with the UPS distribution center. The one time I attempted to use FedEx was a fiasco and I cannot recommend them.

You should obtain a signed copy of the FFL and check the validity here https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ before you ship. You should also check to make sure that the FFL accepts shipments direct from individuals. Some don't and then you will have to give it to your FFL holder for shipment which is an extra cost. The receiving FFL may also want a copy of your photo ID.

Hope this helps.

Mike

shipping

I would insure it as well, I have seen at least one instance where the USPS insurance paid off, no hassle, and i have heard horror stories about FedEx and UPS on that score.

I also include a printed shipping list, my name and contact info as Seller, name and address of ffl, name and contact info for buyer, and an exact description of what is in the box. I learned the hard way, once shipped a pistol with two extra mags, the transferree was using an ffl he had never dealt with before, he got the pistol and one magazine. What extra magazines? No packing list, my word against the ffl's. I email the shipping list out before hand to all parties, asking for review and correction of any mistaken entry.

Take pictures of the item as well.
I shipped a reloading press one time and usps messed it up. Fortunately it was one I was giving away.
Means they could like the other 2 mentioned break a crow bar....

I would insure it as well, I have seen at least one instance where the USPS insurance paid off, no hassle, and i have heard horror stories about FedEx and UPS on that score.

I also include a printed shipping list, my name and contact info as Seller, name and address of ffl, name and contact info for buyer, and an exact description of what is in the box. I learned the hard way, once shipped a pistol with two extra mags, the transferree was using an ffl he had never dealt with before, he got the pistol and one magazine. What extra magazines? No packing list, my word against the ffl's. I email the shipping list out before hand to all parties, asking for review and correction of any mistaken entry.

This is a commonly reported occurrence about things in the shipped box having disappeared.....especially magazines. Worse case scenario, what's to stop the FFL agent or one of the workers in the shop from stealing the bolt out of the rifle altogether if he so chooses......or accidently dropping your rifle on the floor!

Just like you said, it's your word against theirs, and a packing list isn't going to stop an unscrupulous or careless person from doing the dirty deed. The only way you can fully safeguard against this sought of thing is to educate the buyer of this kind of problem BEFORE you ship the firearm to his FFL and advise the buyer to be present before the package is opened. I advise my buyer to find an FFL who is willing to open the box for the first time only in his presence. I tell the buyer that not only can an item be stolen out of the box, but the rifle can also be dented, dropped, or scratched by a careless worker. I tell my buyer politely (but firmly) to arrive at the transfer agent while the box is still sealed, or I will NOT be responsible for these kinds of problems. I tell him "I know the rifle is in fine condition, and that I put 2 magazines in there. So if you insist to be there before the FFL agent opens the box, we will not have to worry about it." As far as I'm concerned, a conscientious transfer agent should NOT want to open a package without the buyer being present. If he's honest and smart, he doesn't want to be accused of anything that he didn't do or that he is not the cause of. (like damaged goods) Unfortanately, most FFL dealers are not so "conscientious" and you have to make an effort to find one who will honor this request. Beware however that when you shop around for an FFL dealer he is liable to tell you this; "Sir, by law I'm required to promptly log in the firearm. That's why we open the box when it arrives". But if you ask him to call you on the same day that the rifle arrives so that you can to take posession of it that day, he should be willing to accomodate you. The law doesn't require him to log in the firearm within the first hour it arrives. Anyway, That's how I send stuff, and how I also wish to receive my purchases.

the last rifle I got arrived USPS insured, signature required. I have a very good repose with my
mailman, kinda chatty but we're both Elks and such. Anyway, the doorbell rings, it's Gerry with my
rifle, I invite him in to witness the opening, just to make sure no damage in case of a claim.
thanks, douglas

PS: I always ship USPS, never any questions asked by my little local PO. can even mail handguns
legally, you just have to follow the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly only a FFL holder can ship a handgun with the USPS not an individual. Richard

there's a way to do it, a little known or used paragraph in the
postal code. thanks, douglas

One more twist on this....

... I have a house in Michigan and rent a condo in Florida. Can I legally ship a rilfe from Michigan under my name to my name at my address in Florida ?

If so, what is the best carrier ? Again, would that be the USPS ?

Joe - Was it you that sent that big shipping container to St Louis (or maybe it was KC) with your shootin' stuff in it? If so, were there rifles inside? If there's reason not to answer, please ignore the question as if it's not here and I'll rub it out in a few.

I dont know about in other parts of the country but here in this town I dont ever ship anything UPS....
Even with a sig required they will drop it on the door step and run. Along with the fact that over 30% of everything I received shipped by them is broken or lost.
It may be better where ever you are.
I only allow them to be a shipper to me when I have no other choice and then I use a business address in another town since I am not home during the day.

To reply to joe's question, I always thought you could do just that, they're
your firearms and you're shipping them to yourself. But now I'm having second
thoughts, a good friend of mine has arms all boxed up and ready to ship from
Tucson to himself here in Illinois. His sister took the box to UPS in AZ and they
told her no, I suspect she went to one of those satellite UPS Store places and
I.m aware they won't do it. I did it one time, told them it was machine parts
and I know someone who told them it was golf clubs. thanks, Douglas

Back