Shilen VS Pac-nor?

S

S.G

What do you think has the best barrel life, shilen or pac-nor???

I have heard that the shilen barrels are softer and wearout sooner, any thoughts would be great. Thanks

I think you can get a great barrel or a bad barrel from either. I have owned about a Dozen Shilen barrels over the years and heard many things about them. I have never heard they were soft. I did hear they are subject to using whatever steel is available at any given time as is almost any other barrel maker.

Thanks guys, it just goes to prove, rumers are just that . Opinions that dont rate much fact. thanks

This goofy old rumor pops up every few years here on BRC and the shooters here keep squelching it! :) I guess it's a fairly established opinion on some of the "other" boards..............6MM BR.com absolutely excepted.

al

Pac-nor Shilin

I see more Shilin barrels in BENCHREST equipment lists than Pac-nor.

I have owned both Shilen and Pac-Nor. OK - make that 3 - Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Hart. All of my BR rifles have either Shilen or Hart, and most of my varmint rigs have Pacnor or Shilen. I think Pac-Nor is a real gem and a bargain at the price. Although I haven't done it yet, I wouldn't hesitate to chamber a Pac-Nor barrel for one of my BR rifles. In my varmint rigs they are every bit as accurate and long-lived as my Hart or Shilen barreled rigs. For example, a particular 220 Swift of mine will group in the high 3's and it has a Pac Nor barrel. It has over 2,000 rds which is a long life in a Swift - and it's got a few hundred rounds to go for sure by the looks of the throat:) the last barrel this rifle wore was a Shilen of the same contour and it also shot in the high 3's and lasted about 2500 rds before I became displeased with the throat erosion - So in this case, they are probably dead equal... other than the Pac Nor was about $65 cheaper at the time.

pacnor barrel on your PPC..

I believe that PacNor is the most under-rated barrel used for short range bench (6PPC). I have 5 barrels that was sent on Friday, 2 of them are 3 groove, 1-13.75 twist 6mm Super matchgrade barrels, will be used in my 6PPC. Current SA record for 100m LV is with a PacNor barrel, .102" (it is meters, not yards), current Namibian 200m record, also PacNor barrel, .202"

My experience with PacNor is excellent, the service from there are out of this world... Penny is a real gem to work with.

I personally have shot shilen as well, also excellent barrel, can't fault them in any way, just easier for me to get hold of PacNor.

ALL ABOUT PERSONAL TASTE I believe.... I am also waiting a bunch of Bartlein barrels..., got some good service from Frank Green as well!

I will shoot any brand barrel that is willing to print only one hole:D

Just my opinion! Have a great 2008!

Gerrit
Namibia

Back