Shilen nomenclature

sofarfrome

Can anyone tell me what these markings mean at the end of a Shilen barrel?

Thanks,

Jay

Attachments

• pix226196822.jpg
    pix226196822.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 512
These people may be able to assist in explaining the stamping on their barrel Blanks.

Shilen Rifles Inc

972-875-5318

Glenn

These people may be able to assist in explaining the stamping on their barrel Blanks.

Shilen Rifles Inc

972-875-5318

Glenn

I sent them an email and tried to call on Friday but apparently it was too late. I assume they will not get back to me until sometime Monday or perhaps later. Which may be too late as the reason I am asking is because this apparently LV barrel is on GB for an excellent price if it is a select match and I am hoping I could find out before the listing ends.

Thanks,

Jay

You do realize that a 14 twist will only handle up to about a 60 grain bullet right? Berger even lists a 12 twist requirement for their 69 grain high BC varmint bullet. I don't know what your intended use is though.

Last edited:
You do realize that a 14 twist will only handle up to about a 60 grain bullet right? Berger even lists a 12 twist requirement for their 69 grain high BC varmint bullet. I don't know what your intended use is though.

Yes, I am well aware. My intentions on buying this barrel is to have another high quality 6MM barrel to put on my Panda. I currently have Bartlein and Hart, now I want a Shilen.

shilen nomenclature

14 twist 60 GR?????? 6mm
many use a 14 twist and shoot 68 to 72 gr bullets in the PPC with great success
Maybe you were thinking 224 caliber.

I sent them an email and tried to call on Friday but apparently it was too late. I assume they will not get back to me until sometime Monday or perhaps later. Which may be too late as the reason I am asking is because this apparently LV barrel is on GB for an excellent price if it is a select match and I am hoping I could find out before the listing ends.

Thanks,

Jay

The stamp on this Shilen barrel blank(SM) indicates that it is a "select Match" barrel . If you like the price, why not add it to your list of quality barrels. Who knows, it could be a "hummer". I've got one,Shilen,("Select Match") blank, that's stamped "SM"

Glenn

Last edited:
The comment about a 14 twist only being able to handle bullets of 60 grains and lighter is incorrect. For years before the discovery that a 13.5 twist may be advantageous for longer bullets short range BR bullets, 14 twist barrels were the most common in benchrest competition, for all of the common bullet weights, the heaviest generally being 68 gr (made using .825 jackets). If one wanted to explore the advantage of more stability, without changing barrels, all that would be required would be to switch to a bullet made using a shorter jacket. It is the length of bullets of a given caliber, rather than their weights that determines their twist requirements. Bullets of medium weight (65-66gr) are made using both .790 and .825 jackets. Other manufacturers' jackets fall between these lengths.

Id say a 14tw is the most popular twist ever for 62-68gr bullets. I bet if you called walt he would even say that. Those computer calculations are wrong

Maybe I am wrong........so should Berger be changing the info on their site?

69 gr High BC FB Varmint 0.289 N/A N/A 1:12″ 24313

65 gr BT Target 0.281 0.144 1.092 1:13″ 24408
65 gr WEB BR Target 0.246 N/A N/A 1:14″ 24409
68 gr FB Target 0.255 N/A N/A 1:13″ 24411

I'm more of a long range guy, but I guess if it works, it works.
You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
If anything the Berger web site is erring on the side of recommending a faster twist than commonly used. Going with a slightly faster twist isn't going to hurt a thing. But, if you go the other way with a twist that is too slow, it will hurt big time. For instance, 15 twist barrels although not real commonly shot with a 6 PPC can work very well in the PPC when loaded hot and shot in pretty warm weather. But, let the days temperature get down into the 30 or 40's and you might be fortunate to hit the paper at 100 yards. That happened to a friend of mine at the NBRSA nationals at Holton a few years ago. His 15 - 14 1/4 gain twist barrel shot very well in normal summer conditions, but his first group in the UL 100 looked like it had been shot with a shotgun. The bullet wasn't stabilizing at temperatures in the 40's. When he got it home, it went back to shooting well, of course with higher temperatures. I'd say the majority of 6 PPC barrels are 14 twist barrels, followed by 13.5 twist barrels. A 14 twist won't get you in trouble with an understabilized bullet in the 62 to 68 grain range.

The SM does mean Select Match which is the top grade of barrel that Shilen makes. Not sure what the RF is. It's not anything to be concerned with, maybe inspector mark, I don't know. I looked at a Shilen #7 LV contour barrel that I have in stock and it doesn't have the RF mark on it. It just has SHILEN 243 S 7LV 6 SM going around clockwise from the Shilen stamp. Shilen makes 3 sizes of #7 contour barrels. The 7LV would be their smallest contour #7 and is commonly used on 10.5 pound rifles. A #7 HV would be their maximum HV contour barrel that is the maximum contour barrel allowed by the NBRSA rules on a varmint class rifles.

Last edited:
SM is "Select Match", the standalone "S" is stainless. "6" should be the groove count. I'm not certain on the "RF". The last few Shilens I ordered didn't have that mark.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I have bought 3 Shilens in the last few months. All were rimfire marked 22, and all were Ratchet rifled. I assumed the RF was rimfire, but this makes me suspect the RF may signify a ratchet (5R type) barrel.

If anything the Berger web site is erring on the side of recommending a faster twist than commonly used. Going with a slightly faster twist isn't going to hurt a thing. But, if you go the other way with a twist that is too slow, it will hurt big time. For instance, 15 twist barrels although not real commonly shot with a 6 PPC can work very well in the PPC when loaded hot and shot in pretty warm weather. But, let the days temperature get down into the 30 or 40's and you might be fortunate to hit the paper at 100 yards. That happened to a friend of mine at the NBRSA nationals at Holton a few years ago. His 15 - 14 1/4 gain twist barrel shot very well in normal summer conditions, but his first group in the UL 100 looked like it had been shot with a shotgun. The bullet wasn't stabilizing at temperatures in the 40's. When he got it home, it went back to shooting well, of course with higher temperatures. I'd say the majority of 6 PPC barrels are 14 twist barrels, followed by 13.5 twist barrels. A 14 twist won't get you in trouble with an understabilized bullet in the 62 to 68 grain range.

The SM does mean Select Match which is the top grade of barrel that Shilen makes. Not sure what the RF is. It's not anything to be concerned with, maybe inspector mark, I don't know. I looked at a Shilen #7 LV contour barrel that I have in stock and it doesn't have the RF mark on it. It just has SHILEN 243 S 7LV 6 SM going around clockwise from the Shilen stamp. Shilen makes 3 sizes of #7 contour barrels. The 7LV would be their smallest contour #7 and is commonly used on 10.5 pound rifles. A #7 HV would be their maximum HV contour barrel that is the maximum contour barrel allowed by the NBRSA rules on a varmint class rifles.

FWIW...I shot a Hart barrel in 1:15tw with a nominal tight neck 22PPC and that shot amazingly well. I used a faster than normal H4895 pull down powder (I think) with a Berger 52gr FB bullet and shot some the best 200 yard groups I ever shot. I wish I still had the targets but on a Wednesday old timers shoot at Camillus one year I shot two groups less than 0.200". My inexperience was obvious but still that old customized sleeved 722 was a good rifle.

Back