Sgt Hathcock On the History Chanel:

Pete Wass

I am watching a show on Snipers on the History Chanel ( Wednesday, 5-25-2011 @ 6:40 PM) which is featuring Sgt. Hatchcock himself. I have read his book and this show is , pretty much, following the text from his book. Very interesting to see Sgt Hathcock in the "Flesh". I'm sure it will be repeated later tonight.

Last edited:
I think got the Gunny's last signatures.

I ordered some of the limited run-of-500 signed Marine Sniper books from PS, one for me, one for a gift and one to leave unread. The order got screwed up. I called PS, Rocky Chandler called me back. In the end he and Norm went down and woke the poor guy up! Took a couple days but I got my signed copies :)

al

I read the marine sniper book. I think it was 93 confirmed kills. I liked the one where he shot the nva sniper thru the scope lens. I think one rifle he used was a 3006 mod. 70. with LC match ammo. I ran alot of match ammo but it was all 308. Doug

Hathcock's CO, Major Land (now NRA's Secretary) has spoken at our Gun Club meeting's several times. He said the most amazing thing about Hathcock, was his ability to immerse himself into his environment. While a very good shot, he was on the same level as some others. His (Hathcock's) Model 70 was said to be accurate enough, but not exceptional. Major Land said the rifle held "zero" exceptional well. Of course "gunny" passed away several years ago.

"93 Confirmed Kills", "One Shot One Kill" and "White feather" all contain Gunny's accomplishments. "Long Trang" White Feather was the name given him by the NVA and offered a $30k bounty on him. The movie "Sniper" starring Tom Barrenger had a reinactment of the through the scope shot" Was Carlos Hathcock ever awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for pulling those Marines out of the burning APC" He was severly burned saving their lives.

Jim Morgan

To answer my own question, Gunny was awarded a Silver Star 30 years after the above event.

John Feamster wrote a great article about Carlos in the March 1996 Precision Shooting magazine.

Jim

Too bad the uppers dont have the wherewithal to award that to more when they are alive than posthumously
Though most all of them dont do it for the medal just for life.... usually someone elses.

John 15:13 13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
So has it been so will it be.

Last edited:
I am watching a show on Snipers on the History Chanel ( Wednesday, 5-25-2011 @ 6:40 PM) which is featuring Sgt. Hatchcock himself. I have read his book and this show is , pretty much, following the text from his book. Very interesting to see Sgt Hathcock in the "Flesh". I'm sure it will be repeated later tonight.

Hey Pete,

That's my cousin you're talking about :). Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to actually meet him. My Mother's branch of the family was from northern Mississippi, and Carlos' branch was from Arkansas.

Ironically, on my Father's side, I had a relative, Major Thomas J Wooten, who commanded the Sharpshooters of Lane's Brigade during the Civil War, before assuming command of the 18th North Carolina until Appomattox. He accompanied General Lee to the McLean house for the surrender (although he was not part of the group inside the house), according to a small book that General Lane published about Wooten after the war.

With family history like that, how could I not have gotten into a precision shooting sport ;):D?

Jim

Last edited:
Thank You for posting this Jim

Hey Pete,

That's my cousin you're talking about :). Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to actually meet him. My Mother's branch of the family was from northern Mississippi, and Carlos' branch was from Arkansas.

Ironically, on my Father's side, I had a relative, Major Thomas J Wooten, who commanded the Sharpshooters of Lane's Brigade during the Civil War, before assuming command of the 18th North Carolina until Appomattox. He accompanied General Lee to the McLean house for the surrender (although he was not part of the group inside the house), according to a small book that General Lane published about Wooten after the war.

With family history like that, how could I not have gotten into a precision shooting sport ;):D?

Jim

I appreciate your sharing your family history with us all. You certainly come from distinguished stock and you represent them very well.

Pete

Back