Scope ?

Hombre0321

OK, OK, I can hear you guys now--Not another scope question!!

Maybe this one is a little different. My Smith called me today and my new Long Range rifle in 6.5X47 Lapua is going to be ready in two weeks. Just in time for the first match of 2012 for me. My other two Long Range Rifles both have Nightforce NXS 8.5-32X56 scopes, only difference in these two scopes is one is 1/8 click and the other is 1/4 click. I have learned that I personally much prefer the 1/8 click.

As always Nighforce scopes can be hard to find. I have found several NXS scopes with the 1/4 clicks and none with 1/8 click that are available now. I did find however quite a few 8-32X56 Nightforce Benchrest scopes that do in fact have the 1/8 click. So the question is what ( if anything ) am I giving up with the Benchrest scope as opposed to the NXS. That is other than the fact that I will be saving $600.00.

Money is "NOT" the determining factor, but I am sure not against saving the $600.00, but if the NXS is a much better deal.......

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Roland

In the Nightforce line, I have only owned the Benchrest models, on advice from a good friend who is a long-range gunsmith. So that's a recommendation by proxy... I have used mine for over 12 years now.

What you are giving up is that the objective focusing on the BR models is on the ocular bell, not the adjustment turret. Since with benchrest you do not have to change the objective focus in a hurry, as you might with tactical shooting, I can't see that as a disadvantage.

BTW, I use the 12x42 models.

OK Charles, as you know I do value your opinion. I looked up the 12X42 and looked at the spec's. Looks like for the additional power from 32 to 42 there is a price. Like you always say everything in this game is a compromise, this time the compromise in Elevation Adjustment. 50 MOA for the 32 power, and 40 MOA for the 42 power. I did order this new action with a integral 20MOA rail.

So Charles educate me. Do I need or maybe better, am I handicaping myself with that 10 MOA difference? I guess it works for you, but remember Charles I'm not you and I'm old so don't probaly have time to catch up...

Also that advice was it from Bill S.?

Roland

The advice was from Dave Tooley. He was Bill's gunsmith for number of years, and also mine, for both short and long range benchrest before Joel Pendergraft & I bought a mill & a lathe.

I have never felt the need for more elevation. I do use a 20 MOA rail. I have no idea whether or not the scope is optically centered, probably not. I did use it once at 600 yards, but that's about 10 MOA down from 1K. If you're going to shoot beyond 1K, the greater elevation is probably needed.

And at some level, I suppose it might come down to how high your scope is above the bore centerline. On my HG, it's pretty high -- 5.5 inches above. It works. It has also worked on a LG, which has a more conventional height above bore. It's late at night for me; I can't remember whether high is better or worse, in terms of running out of adjustment. Anyway, for me it's been moot.

Roland,

There is maybe an alternative.

I wanted the 50 MOA elevation adjustment of the 32 & the power of the 42 for an F class gun, so I bought the lower power model & fitted it with a BullzEyePro power booster. It had all the adjustment I want & at least the same power as the 42.

John

John, that may be a good solution. As I remember, there is a compromise with using a booster lens, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it is. It may be one of those compromises that is not important in match shooting. I can't remember if it is light transmission, which wouldn't matter, or eye relief, which might with larger calibers. Do you happen to know?

Charles, I use one on a 45x-45. You have to get a little closer to the ocular lens and if recoil is a problem you will get tapped.
Not much of a problem on a 6 PPC. Otherwise feel the booster works great. Of course marage increases with magnification when present.
Centerfire

For reference.....

I use the 12x42 BR models on both light and heavy guns with the 3X booster, on something around a 35 MOA base. I'm close to the optical center at 1K, and still can can get zeroed at 200. I prefer the 1/8 MOA clicks, and don't see the need for the NXS series over the BR.(costs mostly...) Rumor is, the BR is a touch clearer due to one less lens needed for the side focus on the NXS's.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn once too.......

Back