Scope help please

Sorry Mike, I just couldn't resist!
How can they possibly be too heavy? The gun is in a rest sitting on a bench. OK, I'll leave now. Wayne

Well in IR 5050 we have to make a certain weight with our rifle, and the lowest being 10.5 lbs with the heavy gun then we have 13.5 lb. as the heaviest, It is very hard to make 10.5 with some of the heavier scopes.
MC

Well in IR 5050 we have to make a certain weight with our rifle, and the lowest being 10.5 lbs with the heavy gun then we have 13.5 lb. as the heaviest, It is very hard to make 10.5 with some of the heavier scopes.
MC

I didn't think this through very well. I was just thinking in the context of too heavy to lug around. We just shoot ARA so I forget about the weight rules. All my bench rifles are over 15 lbs so I would have to do some serious weight trimming to even make 13.5 lb class. Wayne

Short range center fire bench rest is LV @ 10.5 lbs and HV @ 13.5 lbs. Rifles can be weighed before, during or after a match
and disqualified if not compliant. If we can make weight with the Valdada 36X, I bet a rimfire rifle can also do it.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Short range center fire bench rest is LV @ 10.5 lbs and HV @ 13.5 lbs. Rifles can be weighed before, during or after a match
and disqualified if not compliant. If we can make weight with the Valdada 36X, I bet a rimfire rifle can also do it.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

More possible with a new build, unfortunately lots of guns on the line now that are close on weight utilizing optics that come in around that 19-21 ounce range for a 10 1/2 lb. gun.

Last edited:
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Most of the time you guys use different profiled barrels and no tuner, use a .900 straight profiled barrel and a tuner and you would find the weight becomes a problem, I never said it was impossible but it is just difficult, we have options that are just as good and lighter.I never said the valdada was a bad scope they are nice but just too heavy to most folks for rimfire rifles.
MC

Update on my purchase. I went with the NF 42x and I'm not regretting the choice at all. I have a Weaver T36 on another rifle and let me say. There's no comparison on the quality of the optics. Of course you expect it to be better as the scope is nearly 4x the price. I was hoping I would make 10.5 lb weight but I was over by 8 ounces so no matches where I have to make weight. So since I was over weight I went ahead and put the weight set in the stock and added a Pappas mid barrel tuner.
Did I mention how clear this scope is? I can actually see the fuzz on the paper when the bullet cuts a hole at 50 yards. Yes it's that clear and sharp.

James

No offense and I am not trying to start a pissing contest but I have that Mueller scope for 2 years and it has not had a problem with poi. I realize it's only been 2 years and that's not a long period but so far I have no complaints. Actually I like it as good or better than the Weaver T36 because the crosshairs or easier to see with my bad eyes. I didn't say it was better I said that I liked it better. JMO.

Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

The mistake you make is in cross comparing CF and RF. The .22's have some requirements as to barrel diameter/ lenght with tuners that make 10 1/2 lb. harder than it seems especially with the current preference for longer barrels. Lots of guns are cutting it close with a 19oz.scope and lots of guys still move heaven and earth to get a little weight in the butt for balance.
Of course if you're an UNL or ARA guy, it's a non issue.

Back