Scope for Hunter Class

josh shrum

I am thinking of having a Hunter Class gun done over the winter and need some scope recommendations. The Leupold FX-3 AO is on the list already, but I wanted to see what else is out there before I buy more glass.

Thanks,
Josh

Talk to Peter Wass I looked through 1 of his and couldn't believe my eyes. The scope was so perfect and clear it was way easier to see through it at 100 yards than my 3-9 on 9 power.

Either one of these...

I am thinking of having a Hunter Class gun done over the winter and need some scope recommendations. The Leupold FX-3 AO is on the list already, but I wanted to see what else is out there before I buy more glass.

Thanks,
Josh

Either the Leupold 6X Hunter or Weaver T6 will do fine. The Leupold has about an extra 1" eye relief.

virg

Thanks,
Josh

Josh. You really want to do this 6x stuff? Remember what Kenny Benton said to you that you were the only one in the room that had had no gray hair in the crowd? LOL! Ask Dean the next time you see him. He'll set you straight on what to use. We have probably the biggest contingency of 6x shooters there is in Maine, and some of the best, Randy Jarvais, Orland Bunker and Peter Hills and all 3 use a 6x Leup.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am lucky he couldn't see the gray hairs!

I found a Leupy 6x AO for a good price and ordered it earlier this evening.

I want to try my hand at everything Benchrest!

Leupold

Tough to beat the guarantee. Quality and optics are good. Holds POI ok. Have used one, and a Burris 6x hunter, but it's not made anymore. Pickings are slim for sure.

Tough to beat the guarantee. Quality and optics are good. Holds POI ok. Have used one, and a Burris 6x hunter, but it's not made anymore. Pickings are slim for sure.

Hate to say it but I am not a Leupold fan, but as you say, pickings are slim and the price I got on the FX-3 was good. I considered using a variable and taping it per the rules, but to find one with parallax adjustment and a good reputation leads into some pretty heavy stuff and then weight becomes a concern.

Francis

I have two Burris 6X that I bought from Peter Wass. They do work well and are clear as bells.

I have one also. I like it but had to send it back for POI shift once. Do they still support them with parts? If not, I'll sell you mine! :rolleyes:

Nightforce makes some variables that would work but they all seem to be .25 moa clicks and are on the heavy side. But then again, Wally Siebert always told me that the best hunter 6X scope ever was the old steel tube El Paso Weaver. He said that if you saw the robustness of the erector tube and its supports you would understand why. Of course he was talking from ability to hold POI. The scope has .25moa adjustment, a thing a lot of shooters don't like...makes it harder to get an exact zero I guess. I have one blueprinted by Ackerman but haven't shot it.

Last edited:
Josh, you want to look at a FX 3 AO you are welcome to. i'm right up the road from Dave....... jim

Go to Leupold custom shop!

The dot on the FX3 is about a half inch moa. I had Leupold do a custom job which does cost another $200 but you can get a much smaller dot that way.

Thanks Jim, I found one for a good price and ordered it.

Randy, it is likely that I will be having the reticle switched to something more suited to me, thanks for advice.

While we are on the subject, what is a good product to mount my spotting scope to the bench? I know that Sinclair makes a mount, is there anything else out there? I use a Vortex Razor HD 20-60 if it matters.

1/2" pipe, 1/2" pipe clamp.
add a al block with a tensioner,
and a bit of 90 degree angle al for actual nount.

New Weavers:

I have looked through a couple of new Weaver 6X's lately and I must say, I was impressed with their glass. The old black Burris' are hard to beat, glass wise also. ALSO, I had several Sightron HBR scopes that are very nice but hard to find. Guess, from a "Modern" standpoint, I'd go for a new Weaver. ALso, some of the RF guys have a variable Leupold Varmint scope tweaked for BR Sporter shooting. I have had Leup scopes in the past and actually have one now but none of them were as bright as the Burris' or the Sightron or the new Weaver. I have sent back several Burris scopes for warrantee and it never appeared to me that they touched them; just sent them back. They, perhaps have some sort of machine that tells them if the scope is ok or not but the complaints I had on several were not addressed. Of course, we are those HBR guys ya know!

Pete

Meyer 30mm 6 power

Meyer 6Xb (1).jpg

If you can find 1 , these Meyer 6 power 30 mmm tube are pretty nice, got to have a light barrel though.

Attachments

• Meyer 6Xb (2).jpg
    Meyer 6Xb (2).jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 144
Tough to Beat

While we are on the subject, what is a good product to mount my spotting scope to the bench? I know that Sinclair makes a mount, is there anything else out there? I use a Vortex Razor HD 20-60 if it matters.

the Sinclair bench mount as long as the bench thickness will accommodate its range of adjustment.

you do not need the pan and tilt shown.
a simple 90 degree angle will do

Attachments

• P1000453.JPG
    P1000453.JPG
    548.4 KB · Views: 152
Back