Scope choice for .22 BR

Plecotus

Newbie here Hi to all.

At my club, we shoot a BR competition at 25m usint the NSRA BR targets (https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/collections/targets/products/new-bench-rest-2510-br-15-target).

I've been shooting this discipline with my Volquartsen 10/22 for a seaso now, averaging low 90s (out of 100). I've just bought an Anschutz 1813 in a Supermatch stock, with the intention of becoming a bit more competitive and am looking at a scope for it. I have a shortlist of two: the Sightron SII 36×42 BRD or the Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 8-32×56 with perhaps the Weaver T36 as a reserve option.

I know both the Sigtron and Weaver are well used by BR shooters but I'm wondering if 36x might be a bit too much magnification at 25m? The comp I shoot does not permit the use of a rear bag, just a front rest (or bipod) so I'm thinking that I'm not going to be quite as stable, when it comes to shakes(!) as those who shoot BR with heavy front rest and rear bag.

That's my question then....is 32x just too much at 25m or would this be an appropriate magnification for the discipline I shoot?

Last edited:
My opinion only, but in a word "no". 32X is not to much power at 25M. I would tend to go with as much power as I can get. The only reason for less power would be to deal with mirage.

A differnet approach

If your newly acquired 1813 has iron sights and given that the target has a lot of black, I would give those a go. Anschutz has really great iron ( peep ) sights. Once you get a iris that fits the target correctly, they can be more accurate than a scope. There are even other aftermarket sights that are even better. Seeming how your not using a rear bag, the irons play well with a hold it tight, cheek weld handling technique.

If you really just want to go with a scope, 12-14X would be more than plenty at 25M.

This is with a CZ452 Trainer at 50 yards with a fixed 12X Leupold. Your 1813 should do really well with a 12X at 25M
kEReNFk.jpg

If your newly acquired 1813 has iron sights and given that the target has a lot of black, I would give those a go. Anschutz has really great iron ( peep ) sights. Once you get a iris that fits the target correctly, they can be more accurate than a scope. There are even other aftermarket sights that are even better. Seeming how your not using a rear bag, the irons play well with a hold it tight, cheek weld handling technique.

If you really just want to go with a scope, 12-14X would be more than plenty at 25M.

This is with a CZ452 Trainer at 50 yards with a fixed 12X Leupold. Your 1813 should do really well with a 12X at 25M
View attachment 21981

One vote for higher magnification and one against (thus far). Thanks both.

The 1813 I'm buying doesn't come with any sights at all I'm afraid. I am familiar with aperture sights. I used to shoot a lot of .22 prone (perhaps 35 years ago) and was using an Anschutz then. I've recently acquired a Parker Hale TZ 4/47 aperture sight to try with my Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.1 and I will admit, It's taking some getting used to, even at just 100 yds. My eyes are not what they were.

I've been using a 12x scope on my Volquartsen and I think I would like more than that, having now shot BR for a full season. Will be interesting to see what other views folks on here have.

Generally if you are over 50 irons become a problem because of aging eyes. Heck I can't even use buck horns anymore, physically it is there, eyeballs say nope. Aperture types well better but not round and the back one always looks like there is lint in it, while the front is a bit of an egg shape. 36 x at 25 m is doable just takes a bit of practice. I run 36x on my silly wet rifles and that is all off hand work. hardest part is the small field of view compared to lower mag units.

Generally if you are over 50 irons become a problem because of aging eyes. Heck I can't even use buck horns anymore, physically it is there, eyeballs say nope. Aperture types well better but not round and the back one always looks like there is lint in it, while the front is a bit of an egg shape. 36 x at 25 m is doable just takes a bit of practice. I run 36x on my silly wet rifles and that is all off hand work. hardest part is the small field of view compared to lower mag units.

Tell me about it. I'm 57 now and irons are getting harder to use, especially at distance and/or if the light isn't great. I'm getting tempted to give the 32x a go but really do appreciate any and all commentary on the matter. It's clear from reading the forums that there are some very experienced and knowledgable people on here.

That’s why they make shooting glasses, especially ones with a Merit diopter on them.
Silly Wet rifles???? Do you have well armed squirrels you have to deal with ?

tHeck someone basically gave away a Leupold 40x45 that I’m using at 50 FEET on my Suhl 150.
36x is not too much.

Last edited:
We use a March 48x52 Highmaster & Nightforce 15-55x52 competition on my & my partners outdoor 50 yard MS-18 Annie & custom Lithgow & 22 BR rifles which I also use inside at 25 yards.

I find the higher magnification a big help as I can hold off precisely where I need to to try to get the perfect score

As there is no mirage inside there is no downside to more magnification as long as the parallex adjustment will go down far enough

No mirage inside?

That is mirage ! I don`t think I am by myself, I have shot at many 50yard 22RFBR Indoor facilities and every one has had Mirage and sometimes a lot of it ! More shooters = Mirage ! I have 25 Bench Indoor venue here and just had the
ARA Indoor Nationals in it , with 100 shooters / 5 relays and a bunch of MIRAGE!

Last edited:
Scope choice

That is mirage ! I don`t think I am by myself, I have shot at many 50yard 22RFBR Indoor facilities and every one has had Mirage and sometimes a lot of it ! More shooters = Mirage ! I have 25 Bench Indoor venue here and just had the
ARA Indoor Nationals in it , with 100 shooters / 5 relays and a bunch of MIRAGE!

I use both the Sightron 36 and the Weaver T-36 at a local 20yd indoor range. Both work very well. Just be sure that the scope you choose will adjust low enough for the shorter distance ranges. My 69 yr old eyes need all the help they can get!

Damn Slick!!

If you'd got a hold of me, I could have designed your range to eliminate "all" mirage for the measly cost of approximately $100,000 to $150,000. Surely you can sell enough additional chickens to afford that? LOL

Landy

Damn Slick!!

If you'd got a hold of me, I could have designed your range to eliminate "all" mirage for the measly cost of approximately $100,000 to $150,000. Surely you can sell enough additional chickens to afford that? LOL

Landy

See you this weekend in the Swamp Landy , No Mirage in da Bayou! Who say Dat!

See you this weekend in the Swamp Landy , No Mirage in da Bayou! Who say Dat!

Leaving in the morning with -20 deg's wind chill and blowing snow. The Swamp will feel like tropical weather and it'll only take us about 16 hrs to get there. See yuh in a couple of days.

Landy

Many thanks for all the comments and opinons, here's what I've done. I discovered that there is an optics supplier here in the UK who give you 60 days to try a 'scope ordered by mail and, if you don't get on with it in that time, they will swap it for something else. I ordered a Sightron 36 x 42 BRD. It's now arrived. I'm going to put it on the rifle and shoot it over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.

The comments about indoor mirage amused me. One of my clubs has a 100yd range in an old railway tunnel. It's cleared for any calibre up to .50. Get a few guys in there with larger calibres.....or perhaps a bit of black powder in a Martini .577/450 and 'mirage' takes on a whole new definitiion!!

Well, just to let you know I've had a few sessions with the Sightron 36x42 BRD and it's a keeper. Bearing in mind it's on a new (to me) rifle, I shot three x 10 target cards last Friday and hit 100(5x). 97(3x) and 100(5x) at 25m. As someone on this thread suggested, it has caused me to think more about my breathing and trigger squeeze. Thanks to all who offered their opinions.

Well, just to let you know I've had a few sessions with the Sightron 36x42 BRD and it's a keeper. Bearing in mind it's on a new (to me) rifle, I shot three x 10 target cards last Friday and hit 100(5x). 97(3x) and 100(5x) at 25m. As someone on this thread suggested, it has caused me to think more about my breathing and trigger squeeze. Thanks to all who offered their opinions.

You've discovered something very important. Better equipment can make you aware of additional things to pay attention to. Without the better glass, you wouldn't have been aware that your breathing and trigger squeeze needed better technique.

Most shooters around here (USBR) use the Weaver 36 w/ small dot. The small dot can be held off that small o on your target. X ring im assuming that is.

I even use the 8x booster. At 25 yrds it takes quite a bit to get mirage that bothers even w/ the boosted 36x.
You can see, initially, a small amt of heartbeat in the scope. Initially means when you first start w/ that power scope.

Hopefully you could try a a 36x and a 24x before purchasing.

Whatever, you will have much joy, disappointment, frustration, and challenge in the BR sport.

Back