Scope bases for Winchester M70 Target model.

Calfed

A few years back I glommed a 1965 Winchester M70 target model with a Hart barrel in 308. It came with a set of RPK sights and Earle scope mounting blocks. I got busy on other things and kinda left the rifle in the back of the closet.

Anyway, I've given up on trying to use the external adjustable scope mounts and started looking for a scope base for a modern scope. As you can see, this M-70 is the target model with the clip guide in the rear receiver bridge. I've not been able to find a one-piece base for this rifle and wondered if anyone knows if anyone makes a one piece base for this rifle. If not, will standard two-piece bases work?

As best I can determine, the front holes are .86" center-to-center. The rear holes, roughly .43" ctc, and the middle holes, 4.22, ctc.

Any help is much appreciated.

85ibzcZ.jpg

bdAGj8S.jpg

XqG0DC5.jpg

scope bases for M70 target model

Do you know if this is the short or long action? The redfield, burris,leoupol, bases should work. You need to measure the distance from the rear hole on the front rec.ring to the front hole on the rear rec.ring and check with the various brands, some have the spacing published in their printed material or just call customer service and check with them. Will most likely have to talk with a tech. owlshop!:eek:

Do you know if this is the short or long action? The redfield, burris,leoupol, bases should work. You need to measure the distance from the rear hole on the front rec.ring to the front hole on the rear rec.ring and check with the various brands, some have the spacing published in their printed material or just call customer service and check with them. Will most likely have to talk with a tech. owlshop!:eek:

I think this predates the short action.

I looked at the specs on EGW's website and learned that the distance between the middle holes in significantly longer than that of even the long action M70. I believe it is because of the clip guide... it required the holes to be set back.

A gunsmith answered my inquiry on another forum and advised that the target model M70 like mine has the same hole pattern as the Model 70 H&H magnum series. Unfortunately, not many of the companies made one-piece bases for that series.

Not what you're looking for, but I think I have a new set of Talley Ringbases for it..that I'd really like to find a home for.

Not what you're looking for, but I think I have a new set of Talley Ringbases for it..that I'd really like to find a home for.

Mike, I'll keep you in mind, but am hoping for a one-piece that has 20MOA built into it. I'm planning on using a B&L 6-24x40AO scope that apparently is noted for having limited elevation adjustment.

Mike, I'll keep you in mind, but am hoping for a one-piece that has 20MOA built into it. I'm planning on using a B&L 6-24x40AO scope that apparently is noted for having limited elevation adjustment.

Oh I understand. I'be had these for years. Ordered rings and they were mispackaged and not in high demand...rare in fact. If you or anyone can use them, let me know.

Last edited:
Your gunsmith advice on the internet may not be correct unless it was someone going by the name of "Redneck".

I believe Winchester, back then, made an action of one length and a spacer was used in the magazine for different length cartridges.

The .308 was most likely not built on a MAGNUM length action.......................

20MOA one piece bases are available. I would advise taking measurements and call about what is available.

Google Winchester Model 70 one piece scope base/mount.

Brownell's most likely has what you want.

Good luck.

Your gunsmith advice on the internet may not be correct unless it was someone going by the name of "Redneck".

I believe Winchester, back then, made an action of one length and a spacer was used in the magazine for different length cartridges.

The .308 was most likely not built on a MAGNUM length action.......................

20MOA one piece bases are available. I would advise taking measurements and call about what is available.

Google Winchester Model 70 one piece scope base/mount.

Brownell's most likely has what you want.

Good luck.

Thanks, John

I believe my action (1965) predates the short action M70. I also am convinced that Winchester made two different action lengths back then...a "standard" length and the .300 and .375 H&H "magnum" length. The rifle is currently chambered in .308. I do not know what it was originally chambered in, but It may well have been chambered in 30.06...many of the target M70's from that era were.

I did measure the holes spacings:

As best I can determine, the front holes are .86" center-to-center. The rear holes, roughly .43" ctc, and the middle holes, 4.22, ctc.

The closest match is to the H&H magnum length action. The center holes spread (aft front screw to forward rear screw) is significantly longer than for the standard action and much longer than the short action. I believe it is because of the clip guide cut out, which seems to require the rear screws to be shifted rearward.

XqG0DC5.jpg

Here's what I mean...EGW scope base for a standard action:

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1430

Center holes spread:3.805...almost 1/2 inch shorter than mine.

EGW scope base for the HH magnum action:

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=606

Center holes spread: 4.231...very close to mine and the difference is probably from my measuring.

The problem with the EGW mount is that they do not offer it with any built in MOA. I guess the question is, can I add a shim on one end of the EGW mount to get that MOA?

Last edited:
dont bother with the shims

Use the Burris signature rings and buy the optional ring inserts with the 20 MOA built into the inserts. They are on all my guns and I have never had a problem with them. I have a Hall actioned 6PPC bench rest rifle and called Alan Hall himself about a new set of rings and he recommended the Burris rings.

Use the Burris signature rings and buy the optional ring inserts with the 20 MOA built into the inserts. They are on all my guns and I have never had a problem with them. I have a Hall actioned 6PPC bench rest rifle and called Alan Hall himself about a new set of rings and he recommended the Burris rings.

Well, that is hard to beat as a recommendation.

I lucked out with the scope base. EGW told me that they had a Win Model 70 HH base with 20 MOA. They also told me that they receive about 1 call a year for one of those bases.

At any rate, The base fit perfectly and I went ahead and mounted a B&L 6-24 scope with some rings that I had and took it to the range.

I3HefPw.jpg

df73XhO.jpg

After getting it on paper with some cheap .308 ammo, I switched to 168 FGMM at 100 yards

E4Lah5E.jpg
uBkgzXF.jpg

Moved back to 200 yards and switched to 175 gr FGMM

XAy0Pa1.jpg
Yqe5uk8.jpg

Moved the target to 300 yards

odRLwaf.jpg
AumZKLA.jpg

Finally tried some handloads at 300 yards...the Winchester liked 41.7 grs of 4064 best. (I was going to try a three shot group, but threw the third shot out at about 11 o'clock, so I turned it into a 5 shot group). I noticed that the point of impact shifted to the left when I switched to my reloads.

t23ktog.jpg
xpdvhSN.jpg

Last edited:
If you ever need a base for another WINCHESTER like that one take a look at Nightforce. They have holes for the standard long action and the ultra mag actions. The rear holes are close together just like the long actions that accept stripper clips, like yours.

If you ever need a base for another WINCHESTER like that one take a look at Nightforce. They have holes for the standard long action and the ultra mag actions. The rear holes are close together just like the long actions that accept stripper clips, like yours.

Thanks, Jay.

I didn't even know that NF made scope bases.

Similar problem with Target Mod. 70

I'm having a similar problem with my ca. 1980 Target Model 70. I posted the details here. In my case EGW said that they couldn't help me. It appears that the hole spacing is the same as on your rifle.

[Update] I just installed the scope using Burris Signature Zee rings with eccentric inserts that provide, by my calculations, 14.3 MOA of elevation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back