scope adjusting - -

P

Pete in Surry

I have a question concerning scope adjustments:

I need corrective vision for all distances. I wear progressive lenses but they would be tri-focals if they weren't Transition lenses.I shoot wearing shooting glasses that have correction only for up close distances.

I use the rear lense of the scope to make the adjustment for sharpness of the reticle. Now here's the question: does the AO lense need to be in a specific position when I am making the adjustment to the rear lense? I have wondered if I am introducing an error into the scope settings doing what I do. Thanks, Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

If you are pointing the scope at gray sky or other featureless background when you adjust the eyepiece for sharp focus on the reticule, the objective setting makes no difference.

I do not know your particular visual problem. However, a telescopic sight is designed for use by persons with normal visual acuity and at the designed eye relief distance is intended to provide an image as if at "infinite" distance. In simple terms you would normally use the correction for distance vision in your shooting glasses (not the reading distance correction) to see the image as intended by the designer.

In some extreme cases, it may be necessary to provide some additional correction in the shooting glasses for the aiming eye when the typical -2 to +1 diopters correction range of the eyepiece is inadequate to achieve focus on the reticule.

My vision problems - -

Pete,

If you are pointing the scope at gray sky or other featureless background when you adjust the eyepiece for sharp focus on the reticule, the objective setting makes no difference.

I do not know your particular visual problem. However, a telescopic sight is designed for use by persons with normal visual acuity and at the designed eye relief distance is intended to provide an image as if at "infinite" distance. In simple terms you would normally use the correction for distance vision in your shooting glasses (not the reading distance correction) to see the image as intended by the designer.

In some extreme cases, it may be necessary to provide some additional correction in the shooting glasses for the aiming eye when the typical -2 to +1 diopters correction range of the eyepiece is inadequate to achieve focus on the reticule.

are purely age related. I don't have any other problems other than my vision has slowly deteriatd as I have aged.

thinking about what you have said, I am only using the rear lenses to make the same correction my eye glasses make when I wear the glasses with the correction built in to them. I think I am ok.

Thanks, Pete

Pete,

I am a 63 year old with the chronic Presbyopia (if i get the paper far enough away to focus on it, the print is too small) also. My astigmatism isn't very helpful either but I've become accustom to it as it has been with me for 56 years.

A couple of us that have been avid experimenters with spotting scopes and more recently with our various makes and models of rifle scopes, have made a discovery that we have now found true of ourselves and twelve other shooters with old guy vision that may be of interest.

-- If we use either glasses or contact lenses, after setting good eyepiece focus on the reticule and adjusting parallax the target focus is not very good. By removing our glasses and refocusing the eyepiece on the reticule, the target focus will be much better at correct parallax adjustment.--

This holds true for all of us over many different rifle scope models. In some cases, the eyepiece does not provide quite enough correction to get sharp focus on the reticule. In those cases we have found that minimum correction via the glasses (inexpensive reading glasses of 0.5, 1.0 or 1.5 diopters magnification) give the next best combination of reticule and target focus at correct parallax setting.

None of this helps with the astigmatism problem, but two of us that have astigmatism seem to shoot better without glasses but with the better focus result. This may be due to the small exit pupil at higher scope magnification minimizing the astigmatism effect by using such a small area on the retina.

Fred you are on the right....

Pete,

I am a 63 year old with the chronic Presbyopia (if i get the paper far enough away to focus on it, the print is too small) also. My astigmatism isn't very helpful either but I've become accustom to it as it has been with me for 56 years.

A couple of us that have been avid experimenters with spotting scopes and more recently with our various makes and models of rifle scopes, have made a discovery that we have now found true of ourselves and twelve other shooters with old guy vision that may be of interest.

-- If we use either glasses or contact lenses, after setting good eyepiece focus on the reticule and adjusting parallax the target focus is not very good. By removing our glasses and refocusing the eyepiece on the reticule, the target focus will be much better at correct parallax adjustment.--

This holds true for all of us over many different rifle scope models. In some cases, the eyepiece does not provide quite enough correction to get sharp focus on the reticule. In those cases we have found that minimum correction via the glasses (inexpensive reading glasses of 0.5, 1.0 or 1.5 diopters magnification) give the next best combination of reticule and target focus at correct parallax setting.

None of this helps with the astigmatism problem, but two of us that have astigmatism seem to shoot better without glasses but with the better focus result. This may be due to the small exit pupil at higher scope magnification minimizing the astigmatism effect by using such a small area on the retina.

track when you mention high mag scopes and astigmatism. The smaller the exit image, the less effect your astigmatism has on the image. if you were trying to do the "no glasses" with a 6X you would have a real hard time seeing.. Good test is a real bright "bluebird" day. The high light condition will cause your eyes to clamp right down and you will find that your depth of field and your stigmatic effect will improve dramaticcally. because your Iris is dialed as small as it can go=== less astigmatism

In not having any correction

Pete,

I am basically looking as I would without glasses. I can then focus the scope @ the rear so that I see the reticle and tiny doe just fine. My question was , " should I find a specific spot with the optical end so that I will not be giving anything up to misunderstanding.

What you need

For every day use I wear blended progressive lenses.

For shooting I had a set of glasses made up for normal distances with bi focals so I can see sight settings etc.

The trick with my shooting glasses is that the prescription is ground in the spot I look through the scope, which in my case is not the center of the lens.

I can not shoot using the blended lenses.

Lehman Optical in AZ can fix you up. 800-632-0069. Expensive yes, worth it yes.

Back