Saw an interesting Youtube last evening:

Pete Wass

A lad, who's name I don't remember but he does a lot of surface grinding vids, did one of eliminating the compound on his lathe and substituting a block to hold his Aloris tool post rigidly, square to the bore. He has a huge number of tool holders for his tool post, including one that eliminates the tail stock. My thinking went to this reamer pushing business and if shortening the whole thing up might be helpful. I can find the vid if anyone can't and is interesting. I am thinking right now that eliminating the tailstock might be worth a bunch.

Pete

A lad, who's name I don't remember but he does a lot of surface grinding vids, did one of eliminating the compound on his lathe and substituting a block to hold his Aloris tool post rigidly, square to the bore. He has a huge number of tool holders for his tool post, including one that eliminates the tail stock. My thinking went to this reamer pushing business and if shortening the whole thing up might be helpful. I can find the vid if anyone can't and is interesting. I am thinking right now that eliminating the tailstock might be worth a bunch.

Pete

Pete, before going to such draconian steps, you have to buy into all of the so called "Contraversy " that seems to be surrounding the tailstock on a Lathe and the bad press that insues.

If this issue was in today's political arena, it could be referred to as "Fake News".

Pete, before going to such draconian steps, you have to buy into all of the so called "Contraversy " that seems to be surrounding the tailstock on a Lathe and the bad press that insues.

If this issue was in today's political arena, it could be referred to as "Fake News".

I got the drift that he was more interested in rigidity and squareness of his cutting tools and the elimination of the tailstock was an added bonus. He pointed out how frail the compound on his Hardinge lathe was and said he had only used the compound two or three times since he made the modification. He said he scrped the block square he mounted his Aloris to.

I just thought it was an interesting approach to concentrating it all in one place, the Aloris Tool Post. I know how frail the compounds are on both of my lathes so I could relate to what he was aiming at. This guy is a tool maker and does a lot with his surface grinder; stuff I have not seen done before. Of course, there is a lot I have not seen done before :).

He removed his compound because it was frail.

Im now questioning how we ever managed with frail compounds for all these years. On any lathe the compound and/or the tool post is quite often the least rigid part of our tool holding set-up yet I still manage both heavy cuts and good accuracy with mine as will most others. Sometimes I see examples like this were people do things simply because they can rather than because it is really needed.

I cringed watching his video when he plunges into a deep parting operation with his hand holding a very short paintbrush handle to catch his part while its throwing off continuous long ribbons of razor sharp steel, crazy working practise that should not be copied.

Im now questioning how we ever managed with frail compounds for all these years.

I cringed watching his video when he plunges into a deep parting operation with his hand holding a very short paintbrush handle to catch his part while its throwing off continuous long ribbons of razor sharp steel, crazy working practise that should not be copied.

Don't you just love it when some "expert and has been an expert for at least 15 minutes" shows up on youtube and does a STUPID video that can get someone hurt.

Stupid, like the STUPID people that are upset that a 15 year old boy, whose birth certificate says he is a boy, can't put on lipstick and panty hose can't go pee with the girls...

The Donald fixed that perverted government order yesterday.

Now if The Donald can fix stupid videos.....

All the tricks and gimmicks one might find aren't gonna make a 'better' chamber. Good machine practice and attention to detail are what is required. There is no 'best way'. The best way is the one that works for you that's consistent and safe. Frankly, this constant conversation, on every forum, just doesn't make much sense anymore. Pick a method, if you decide you don't like it try something else. As for the "15 minute experts",,, they seem to be everywhere....... Probably a good reason to stay on the side lines and resist posting, and just let the 'witch craft' propagate itself.

And this how I mounted a tailstock on my Haas. If I hadn't found that little tailstock on EBay I would have made one with a travel indicator. Seems to work for me.

Perhaps GE was wrong years ago

Im now questioning how we ever managed with frail compounds for all these years. On any lathe the compound and/or the tool post is quite often the least rigid part of our tool holding set-up yet I still manage both heavy cuts and good accuracy with mine as will most others. Sometimes I see examples like this were people do things simply because they can rather than because it is really needed.

When in their adds they use to say, "At GE, progress is our most important product" ? But then, this is America and everyone has the right to an opinion, eh?

Pete

When in their adds they use to say, "At GE, progress is our most important product" ? But then, this is America and everyone has the right to an opinion, eh?

Pete

You dont have to live in the US to have the right of an opinion and Im certainly all for that. I f you have a machine and a specific requirement that allows you to replace the compound with a solid tool post then again I have no issues in that regard if it works for him. My issue is how he makes it sound that having a compound on your machine is a week link that needs to be fixed. I guess this is the guy you refer to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG3YSfgyJPI

In his case going rigid may well work but we shouldn't confuse his requirements with those of a manual lathe operator like the majority of us. On a manual lathe we dont need repeatable tool offsets, most of the time we can pick up where we need and in instances that we have to then Ive never really had any difficulty I can ever remember. Parting off for example isn't an issue if your gibs are properly adjusted, the tool is sharp and on centre and the feed/speed is correct.

At 9m54s in you see the guy whip his hand away from razor sharp ribbons throwing off at 1000rpm where as I would have a catcher rod in my tailstock chuck for the part to roll off onto and my hands would be safely in my pockets ;)

Im all for progress but with the manual centre lathe things are pretty good as they are for me :)

Back