Saw a nice rifle for sale yesterday:

Pete Wass

I shot in a Rimfire Match @ Manatee yesterday and during the match a fellow showed up with a CF Benchrest rifle he was wanting to sell. It was a round Bat, left port, right eject, 308 bolt face in a Scovill stock, probbly a 6 PPC; the lad selling it didn't know for sure and the barrel was threaded for a tuner. The rifle looked new. It was a LV ( It was weighed) and had Davidson bases with single screw Kelby rings. It also had a set screw through the bolt handle. The asking price was very reasonable, like for the price of the stock - - -- great deal for someone - - - -

Last edited:
Should have gotten a picture of it Pete, something doesn't sound right. He doesn't know what cal. That makes me a little uneasy.And threaded for a tuner, wonder were that or the muzzle beak is. And cheep! hum.

Joe Salt

I would be suspicious that it was stolen. Not knowing anything about something that the person has for sale is a bad sign. It's like a friend told me of a kid selling a high dollar camera
at a pawn shop, didn't know how it operated, it was stolen the night before the attempted sale.

WELLL, i think I remember of a stolen rifle beind found there not long ago. I wondered if, perhaps, this was one of the ones that was stolen. On the one hand, it's none of my business but on the other, I am in a position to have mine stolen sometime too, which is why I posted about it and why I wrote the post the way I did. The rifle was just too nice to have come from an Estate, I thought, but then, one never knows - - --

Last edited:
Probably a pawn shop told the "owner" that they have no use for the rifle so the "owner" did enough research to find where there would be people to whom it would be valuable.

Get a serial or tag number?

I shot in a Rimfire Match @ Manatee yesterday and during the match a fellow showed up with a CF Benchrest rifle he was wanting to sell. It was a round Bat, left port, right eject, 308 bolt face in a Scovill stock, probbly a 6 PPC; the lad selling it didn't know for sure and the barrel was threaded for a tuner. The rifle looked new. It was a LV ( It was weighed) and had Davidson bases with single screw Kelby rings. It also had a set screw through the bolt handle. The asking price was very reasonable, like for the price of the stock - - -- great deal for someone - - - -

Seems that Larry Costa is still missing 2 rifles such as you described.

Sometimes its a good idea to take a picture with your cell phone and post it. You maybe surprised what you may uncover.

Joe Salt

We all must be getting old, not use to all the Hi-Tech stuff all the young guys would have had it on YouTube before he had it on display! Good thing to remember in the up coming shooting season, bring your camera or cell phone for pictures. Might find your best buds rifle.

Joe Salt

I think it's a bit dicey - - -

copying serial numbers and taking pictures of a lad's rifle if one isn't really interested in buying it. I surely would be insulted if someone was acting like the Police for no particular reason with something I was trying to sell. I thought reporting it here in the way I did was fair to everyone concerned. We complain about the Govt taking away our freedoms, and I agree it is so I like to try to respect what we have left.

You could allways say ..Hey I've got a freind looking/wanting something like this , care if I take a few pics to show him. Then get contact info. Course hind sight is allways 20/20.

Last edited:
Went to a big car show here recently. Took pictures of some cars and their Vin#'s that were for sale. Also got the owners phone number,just in case I decided to negotiate a future purchase.

The only signs I saw were "Do not touch"

Glenn

Last edited:
I was asked if I knew how much a rifle was worth at a bar, and the guy didn't know what caliber it was. What? Description matched a rifle that was stolen from a stage production in town. Got a closer description of the rifle, went to this guys house to look at the rifle, bingo--matched. Dropped a dime as they say, rifle was recovered, returned to the family, guy got away with a suspended sentence. I had to go to this guys house for an electrical inspection, later, kept my .38 in my pocket, in case the guy had ideas about backfilling his underground service ditch with my dead body.:eek:

That was my rifle!!
As the awards ceremony was finished at Dublin I got a call from a police officer that he had the rifle and that he was processing it and was ready to give it back to me as soon as I got back to town. The officer was great! I will be picking it up in the morning.
NOT A BAD WEEKEND !!!
Larry Costa :D

That's very good news for you very bad for other person. But any way can you conferm me about the rifle which you have because I want to get some information about the rifle. Now you should must share your rifle pic with us. I wish you again for your rifle best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not to often a fella gets his guns back. Good for you!!! I wish i had as much luck. Im just sorry you had to go through with all this in the first place, as i know how it feels first hand. Lee

Good News Indeed!

The rifle was just too good for the circumstances, to me anyway. He was asking $1600. for it at the range. I figured the stock was worth that. Glad to hear you got the rifle back.

Pete

Thanks for posting about it Pete. Richard Johnson is the one that called me first about it. Hope you did well at the match.
Regards,
Larry

Back