Savage ?

C

CHeetahman

I just picked up on the savage buzz, always been a 700 or custom rifle man before that. What are people referring to when they state barrels are large or small shank? and are they interchangeable with one another?

Std vs. Large shank

Savage current makes two size.

Standard Shanks - 1.060 x 20tpi
Large Shanks - 1.120 x 20tpi

They are completely interchangeable between actions with that shank size. You just set the headspace you need, tighten the barrel nut, and start shooting. I have 7 barrels and two actions (both std shank) and switch barrels routinely in less than 15 minutes without pulling the scope (No I don't use the screw driver trick someone posted, but I see no problem with it as long as the headspace is correct). I am not a gunsmith and as long as your know how to use a go-gauge correct it is a snap. I don't think it is necessary to torque the barrel nut back down with more than 50 ftlbs. When I first started doing this I routine would keeping re-checking the headspace with gauges, but it never changed even after 1000s of rounds. I even put a small alignment mark on the action and barrel to visually verify headspace within a turn of the barrel.

The ability to buy a premium pre-fit barrel, like a Shilen, for less than $300 ready to screw on was just too appealing for me. I own a couple of blue-printed M700 actions that shoot really good. The Savages will hold their own with them. I am afraid to try a custom action because then I might think everything else feels like junk..... :) I know they sure feel smooth. Bolt lift is my only compliant about my Savages. Which is a killer in the BR world..... so they tell me.

Luck, tiny

Last edited:
I see. so the "shank" is a recoil lug. I assume that if one is going to rebarrel then you would want to use the large shank??

No, the shank is the threaded part of the barrel that screws into the action. The large shank reciever is considered their "target action".

I just bought a new model 110 varminter .22-250 single shot. Is it a small or large shank? I assume by target action you mean the LRPV actions?

new rifle

It should be a small shank. The large shanks usually are only on the target actions and the mag calibers.

tiny

Savage

It should be a small shank. The large shanks usually are only on the target actions and the mag calibers.

tiny

Yes... Your Model 110 is 1.060 ... Measure the top of the threads it should be 1.055-1.060 diam. Pacnor and Shilen typically are 1.059 - 1.060 diam.

The "shank" on a barrel nut barrel action mateing is the barrel nut... Hince the talk of a user adjustable headspace... Unlike a Remington (style) of fixed shank on the barrel is a fixed headspace.

Savages are great fun. Especially for folks wanting QUALITY barrels and don't have the means to fit their own barrels OR quality Smith is not easily accessible.

I'll bet you'll have a blast!
cale

Its easy to see the difference between the large and small shank barrels and actions. If you see a step change in diameter, just in front of the barrel nut, you have a large shank. The small shank has no step in diameter, just the gentle taper like most other barrels. This link should take you to a picture on the Savageshooters sight that shows the difference clearly.

http://www.savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=513.0

You may have to register to get to the forums where this is listed.

My factory large shank 6.5X284 has no step in the contour.
A McGowen "aftermarket" tube also has no step but my Shilen 6BR does.

Seeing as I do not shoot factory ammo I do not bother using headspace guages anymore.
I set my headspace to close with a little resistance on virgin brass.
This reduces initial brass stretch greatly and some argue it creates square case heads.
I would quess the case heads could only squared up as good as the bolt face is squared to the chamber but its better than letting them flow backwards with no support.

If nothing else it seems to prolong brass life by not weakening the web junction during the initial fireforming process. Case stretch and growth during subsequent firings seems to be greatly curtailed as long as you maintain the proper headspace during sizing.
My thanks to Alinwa for this wisdom.

Quality brass usually is headspaced with tight enough tolerances that FL sizing is not required before fireforming.
Econo brass usually needs to be sized to the smallest dimension before setting headspace.

One does need to make sure theres ample working room between the boltface and barrel before choosing a minimum headspace.
And of course you must be willing to accept the fact that most factory ammo may not chamber in your gun.

Thanks Guys!!!

I used brass to set the head space and it works like a charm. Thanks to everyone that responded:)

Large shank

Savage did produce some s/shot 223s a few yrs back with large shank actions..pre Accue trigger...24" non fluted SS and blue HBs....they were 'M' prefix....I have three of them as project rifles...

LA or SA?

Savage did produce some s/shot 223s a few yrs back with large shank actions..pre Accue trigger...24" non fluted SS and blue HBs....they were 'M' prefix....I have three of them as project rifles...

Are your 223s described above LA or SA? I can swear I saw a large shank, LA, 223, non-AccuTrigger, SS non-fluted in the pawn shop last week. I thought is was someone's creation. That's the cool things about Savages. Kind of like tinker toys. Pull out some parts and make something different every day.

Large shank 223 Savage

These are all three SA...one is intact as a 223..one is a 20 Practical....the other is a 223 AI....I bought them all new.....here's the 223 w/Low Profile stock on...Tupperware was factory issue...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its easy to see the difference between the large and small shank barrels and actions. If you see a step change in diameter, just in front of the barrel nut, you have a large shank. The small shank has no step in diameter, just the gentle taper like most other barrels. ...... snip................

Sorry, this is not a good indicator of shank size, even though it might be true on your guns, it isn't true on mine and many others.

The best way is to measure the length of the barrel nut NOT including the recoil lug. The large shank nut is 5/8" long and the small shank nut is 7/8" long. Do NOT measure the recoil lug which is between the nut and the action.

By the way, the shank size should be published by Savage and easily determined for any of their guns. Unfortunately, it must be some kind of state secret because the information is nearly impossible to find, even on Al Gore's wonderful Internet.

Back