savage trigger question

W

williev18

i recently built a 30 br score rifle on a savage target action, and im not realy enjoying the target accutrigger. i have been looking for replacement triggers, i cant seem to find a jewl or timney, i have seen the rifle basics adjustable trigger that will turn down to 4 ounces. has any one tried this trigger, is the improvement worth the money over the accutrigger.

Get a SSS Evolution and never

look back.. If you're serious about shooting a Savage then
the Evolution Trigger is the only decent Benchrest quality trigger
out there.. I have one and it will constantly pull about 4 ozs safely
Rifle Basix is junk and so is their so-called
customer service==
Doc Stone

Speaking of customer service I bought a Savage 12 live varmint rifle a few years back that had the then factory installed SSS trigger on it. Whoever installed it at the Savage factory just slammed that sucker into the factory trigger housing instead of doing it right. I still had the instructions for the installation of the SSS trigger I'd put on an old 112V, so dug them out and did the job correctly.

It worked very well until earlier this year when it wouldn't cock. Looking at it I discovered that the trigger sear spring, a little hairpin (mousetrap) spring, was broken. Sent an e-mail to SSS one evening without much hope of any quick response, but was surprised to have a reply the next morning telling me to send it to them and they'd repair or replace it. It's on its way there now.

The SSS Evolution trigger is as good as it gets for a Savage. I have one of the early ones and it breaks at 2.02 oz every time. I have seen a few other Evolution triggers on other rifles that break a bit heavier. (2.5 to 3 oz) I find that it is hard to tell the difference between it and the trigger on my Bat breaking at 1.5 oz.

Jewel was going to make a trigger and exclusively sell it through SSS, (there is a few of them out and about) but they backed out of the deal after Savage announced that they was releasing the target accu-trigger.

The RB sav 2 trigger will adjust to the advertised weights, but it is nowhere near the quality of the evolution trigger.

All my RB II's are set to function reliably from the bench with NORMAL use.
They all break at 7 ozs set up without using a trigger quage.

Even at 7 0zs they can be made to tripfire if you were to pound on the stock or something like that. I did it once pounding my rear stock into the bag.
Most would consider that unsafe and I could'nt argue against them.

Never tried pounding my stock with a Jewel or the SSS Evo trigger. Its a bad habit anyway and I kicked it quick:D

I've got the SSS Evolution, crisp, clean and safe, I've also got a jewell in my panda so I do know crisp, safe and clean, fred @ SSS is first class, never had anything bad from him or anything he wouldn't stand behind,,,,,,,, now he's away got a back log so don't get in too big of a hurry,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

look back.. If you're serious about shooting a Savage then
the Evolution Trigger is the only decent Benchrest quality trigger
out there.. I have one and it will constantly pull about 4 ozs safely
Rifle Basix is junk and so is their so-called
customer service==
Doc Stone

Doc,
What is your reason for the above statement? I have had very good experiences with both their triggers and customer service.
Richard

going to try the evilution

well from reading all of you responses and doing a little reasreach on sss products i think im going to go with the Evilution trigger but it looks like it will have to wait till this winter due to the long waiting period.

thanks for all of the resposes
Will :)

I hope that wait isn't too long. Got a dual port target action that is supposed to go to them this month for a T & T, plus the Evolution trigger, and bolt fluting. I'm just waiting for Lisa to call for it. Also waiting for the SSS HBR laminate stock from them also.

As far as the backlog, I made the appt. for my action March 4, and also ordered the stock the same day.

Last edited:
i shoot at a match at least every 2 weeks, so its gonna be hard to arrange shipping my action out and getting it back in time between matches. i think its gonna be easier so suffer throught the accutrigger for this summer, till we shut down for the winter. I will have to call and see if it is at all possible to do this summer.

i shoot at a match at least every 2 weeks, so its gonna be hard to arrange shipping my action out and getting it back in time between matches. i think its gonna be easier so suffer throught the accutrigger for this summer, till we shut down for the winter. I will have to call and see if it is at all possible to do this summer.

Willie, give Lisa a call to set up an appointment. It will most likey be a couple of months minimum before they will want it but you can probably go ahead and set up a date that will work for you. If you wait till this season is over and not made an appointment, you may not get your action to them before next season starts.

Then buy a second action, send it to be T&T and trigger. Then sell your current action. Or swap them out and send off your original one. You will be out $30-50 at the most in the end once you sell the second action and keep shooting all time.

That's what I did and I actually made a few bucks on the temporary action I got. Warning: the last action Fred did for me was over 6 months on the list. He put an Evolution trigger in one he had previously T&T in about 3 months from the time I got on a list.

Just my 2 cents, Tim

Just a comment on SSS's service. I sent off the trigger with broken spring that I mentioned earlier in this thread on 7 May. On 20 May there was little flat rate USPS box in my mailbox from SSS with a brand new trigger inside. Sure can't complain about that. :D

:cool: + 1 for the Evolution trigger. Fred's new trigger is several orders of magnitude better than Rifle Basix or even the older SSS triggers. I never heard of any SSS trigger being installed at the (Savage?) factory. It's hard to see how they could have screwed it up, since those older triggers were pretty simple, though still an improvement on the factory offerings.

Confucius say: anything worth having is worth waiting for..... just ask Lisa about my lefty dogtracker stock....I'm not worried.......

Savage installed SSS triggers for a short while, maybe a year or less, before they came out with their Accu-Trigger. When they installed the SSS trigger in my 12 they just jammed it into the hole without filing down the little tabs on the rear of the SSS housing to get the mounting screw to line up with the hole in the factory housing. Strangely the new SSS instructions say nothing about filing them down to get their housing to fit and line up. They say that a little misalignment is good, but on the replacement they sent the trigger wouldn't move until I'd filed the tabs down so that everything lined up without forcing anything. No problem, and if I can file something and make it close enough to work, anyone should be able to. :D

First I will admit i do not use my stevens for benchrest. However, i do shoot woodchucks. My Stevens 200 really responded to a mcmillian stock and the timney trigger for savages. before it was a good one inch shooter at 100yds. now it shoots consistant 3 shot cloverleaf groups. i couldnt tell you how much either improvement was the best but together they did the trick for me.
Fred

Interesting--I'm no gunsmith but I have installed over a dozen SSS triggers both on centerfire and rimfire rifles for myself and members of my family and a couple for my next door neighbor--never had a problem--some of those replaced accuthings---no reflection on the talent at Savage, but it does not seem surprising to me that they had trouble with a foreign (to them) trigger. It's too bad they did not lease the rights to use Fred's designs instead of kludging together the accumontrosity............

Last edited by a moderator:
accumonstrosity- NICE! i personally refer to it as the craputrigger! whats really funny is all of savages advertising really has a ton of people duped into thinking the craputrigger is actually good.

Back