Savage Long Range Hunter 6.5x284

C

cbhester

Hi I'm new to this site and looking for some info on the Savage Long Range Hunter model chambered in 6.5mmx284 Norma. I have never been involved in any competition long range shooting but have always wanted to get into to long range shooting (1000 yrds) for fun. I sold my deer rifle last season and don't really have the cash to go out and buy both a deer rifle and a decent long range target rifle, therefore I am considering the Savage long range hunter. I do handload ammo and plan to do a considerable amount of BR shooting if I do get this rifle.
I am not in tune with all of the technical issues involving rifles that are used in competition so can anyone tell me how this Savage model compares to the ones that might be used in competition and if it is suitable for serious and consistent long range shooting?

Thanks in advance!

CBHESTER
Savage showed a gun in the magazines a couple years ago, it was a target model in 6.5 x284 for long range the barrel was about 1 inch in diameter and it was a single shot. It looked like it might shoot. The stock looked like it would ride the bags well. I don't thank it was the Hunter model. Con-tack Savage or Sharp Shooter Supply.
Good Luck Max

OK, here is a model. Take 100 Savage Factory rifles in the caliber & form you mention. Let's say the average grouping capability is 0.35 MOA. (This is not a real number, just a "what if" number). Then take 100 custom rifles -- same caliber - built by benchrest gunsmiths. The average grouping capability will be significantly smaller, say 0.25 MOA -- again, a "what if" number. The actual numbers may be different, but the ratios are about right.

So the answer is, yes, there are some factory Savages out there that will out-perform some custom competition rifles. Your odds of getting one, though, are quite small. You have much better odds with a custom-built rifle.

The best advice we can give anyone in your position is to go to a match, esp. a registered benchrest match. Look & talk to people. If you arrange things in advance, you may well be able to shoot. For example, our club has a loaner rifle that has won relays. The deal is to make sure someone brings it, and has loaded ammunition for it. If more than one newcomer wants to shoot, they draw for it. Or, some individual may well loan you a rifle for a match.

Here is the IBS schedule, which probably has the range closest to where you live:

http://internationalbenchrest.com/schedule/long_range.php

If there are no ranges within an acceptable distance to you, you may want to rethink the whole notion. It may well be easier to find a 600 yard range. And if not, get whatever makes the most sense to replace your hunting rifle with whatever is most suitable for that.

Good luck, and I hope there is a club/range near enough to you.

Thanks for all of the good replies.

I don't believe there is a local club around where I live but there is a good shooting range which goes up to 1,300 yards I think and I plan to do some shooting there, but I will be doing most of my shooting from a farm here around home that has a long alley around 1,000 yards. I'm not all that interested in competition shooting, at least not right now. I am just looking to get into it for fun.

In 6.5mm round, what does everyone recommend as far as being the best long range cartridge?

Cbhester
I'm like you most of my long range shooting will be in a pasture. The closes long range range on that list is 500 miles from me. There are a couple of privet ranges that put on a couple matches a year. I don't know what part of Ky you are in there are long range matches all around you Tn,SC , NC ,Pen. Id like to go to one of the Egg shoots.
Good Luck Max

Advice and Opinion Would be Appreciated

Wow Max, I figured that in Texas you would have several options to choose from. I wish that I had something within about an hour drive, although I do have a good range about 6 or 8 miles from the house, it is mainly skeet tourneys and obsticle courses and things. I am going to check with them to see if they every hold long range rifle matches but I don't think they do, but regardless they have a long range that I can use when the skeet range is not in operation (the 1,300 yard range is part of the skeet range).

It seems like I'm having a hard time getting any replies but I would really appreciate some input on my rifle puchasing situation. Can anyone tell me if the Savage accu-stock is in any way comparable to those which are used in these long range matches? Also, Savage makes a target rifle series toward the top of my budget that I would possible be interested in, how do they compare to the competition grade rifles which I assume are custom built the majority of the time. One more thing, how does a custom built long range rifle compare to these Savage target series rifles (between $900 and $1,200) in price?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Max, I figured that in Texas you would have several options to choose from. I wish that I had something within about an hour drive, although I do have a good range about 6 or 8 miles from the house, it is mainly skeet tourneys and obsticle courses and things. I am going to check with them to see if they every hold long range rifle matches but I don't think they do, but regardless they have a long range that I can use when the skeet range is not in operation (the 1,300 yard range is part of the skeet range).

It seems like I'm having a hard time getting any replies but I would really appreciate some input on my rifle puchasing situation. Can anyone tell me if the Savage accu-stock is in any way comparable to those which are used in these long range matches?

Ansr: They try to be and come close...but, they cannot compete with a true competition stock. Competition stocks are very specialized and their price reflects that.

Also, Savage makes a target rifle series toward the top of my budget that I would possible be interested in, how do they compare to the competition grade rifles which I assume are custom built the majority of the time.

Ansr: While a very few off the shelf specialized rifles will come close to a true custom built bench rest rifle, the majority will not (95%). Every competitive shooter who commisions a custom bench rest quality rifle will expect that rifle to shoot a one tenth to one eighth of an inch group at 100yds.

One more thing, how does a custom built long range rifle compare to these Savage target series rifles (between $900 and $1,200) in price?

Ansr: I think I've answered you question with the above comments. There is no comparison between a factory rifle no matter what configuration, to a custom built bench rest, "F" class, Hi-Power, or Palma rifle made by a qualified bench rest quality gun smith.

But...for what I think you've stated as too the use you will put your new rifle, an off-the-shelf target style rifle by Remington or Savage will fill the bill.

Good luck with your purchase....virg

Thanks alot Virg for the good info and advice.

Is there anyway you or anyone else can give me a general idea of the price range for a good 6.5x284 custom built bench rest rifle?

Also, I have asked once with no response, but what is the general opinion on #1 best caliber to use for 1,000 yard bench rest shooting?

Thanks again for all the info so far, keep it coming.

Most custom rifles built for the game you're thinking about will run from $3000-$3500 on up, depending on component choice. Excellent used custom rifles will run about half to two thirds the original price. Many of the winning calibers for the 1000yd matches are the 6.5x284, 300 Win mag, 300 Ackley,30/Patriot, 7WSM, and even the 6mmBR.

This is a very expensive game and the 6.5's and 6BR's are real barrel burners.

Again good luck

cbhester, let me take a stab at this one. As I have CharlesE ( an experianced benchrest shooter here on this forum) say to me many times everything is a compromise, it's just were do you want to do that compromising. Savage does build or make a pretty good shooting rifle---Key words there being (Pretty good). It nor any factory rifle is going to be able to stand with the custom built rifle day in and day out, they are a compromise. Is it a compromise you can make and then live with? Only you can answer that question.

If you are still considering a Savage, take a real hard look at the Savage F Class rifle. You can compete with this rifle now well right after you purchase a good scope to go with it. These come with a very good Long Range stock and A Savage Target Action can be a fine learning rifle. They also can be found "new" for around $1,100 or so.

Now you ask the cost of building a Custom Rifle. I have just had two rifles built so I have an idea of the cost. A custom action depending on which one you choose is going to set you back somewhere in the area of $1,200. to $1,500. Then you will need a trigger $350 or so, stock mine cost $825.00 each and they are Shehane Trackers, now add the barrel of your choice anywhere from $350 to $800 and the $800 is not a common price but on the very high end. Scope rail, scope rings and the money for the Smith. We are talking a fair piece of change $3,000 to $6,000.

Or you could go looking for a good used Benchrest Rifle. The classified here on this site has about 50 or so listed "Now". Look for a long range rifle if that is what you want to shoot. Cost anywhere from $1,100 to $4,000 or so with a lot of rifles available below $2,000.

Now as to your question about "BEST" long range cartridge. I truly don't believe there is a best, remember that compromise thing! The 6.5X284 is a fine cartridge and is winning it's fair share of Fake Wood Trophy's. But remember this cartridge is a notorious Barrel Burner. With around 1,000 rounds or so of true Competition accuarcy. Oh some guys may get a little more and some for sure get less but that is a rule of thumb. Every cartridge out there has its plus's and minus's. You need to do your homework and choose for yourself after looking at those plus's and minus's, what you can live with and what is a deal killer for you. Good Luck !!

Roland

Thanks roland for the good advice, that was a real help! I was really liking the 6.5x284 until the 1,000 +/- round accuracy, but that's just something I'm gonna have to consider bfor making my final decision. I definitely have some good advice to start with and some good info for additional sources to use to further my knowledge and help make my mind up on what to do. For now I'm leaning toward the Savage F-Class which seems like a lenty good enough rifle to at least start on.

Thanks again for all the good info and it will be well used!

Cbhester
Good luck with your savage, if you can get one of target models it will probably have the target trigger and there better than most factory triggers. You might look at some custom barrels that might help a little.Talk to Sharp shutter supply that's all they deal in is Savage stuff.
Max

CBhester,
Yes a custom rifle in most cases would probably be better. I have the Savage rifle you are talking about in the 6BR and I also have custom benchrest rifles. I cannot really comment on the 6.5x284 but I can tell you that I really like the Savage. I have replaced the Accutrigger but for a factory trigger they are not to damn bad. I would also tell you that there is a Savage team that competes with these rifles and they win!! For what you are going to use it for it would be a great choice and at long range I don't think you would be all that handicapped. Get the Savage,have fun and don't look back. Let's not mistake a Remington off the shelf with the Savage single shot they are not in the same league. I know this from experience.
My only recommendation would be to look at the 6BR you can compete at long range and still have some barrel life.

CBhester,
.... Get the Savage,have fun and don't look back. Let's not mistake a Remington off the shelf with the Savage single shot they are not in the same league. I know this from experience.
My only recommendation would be to look at the 6BR you can compete at long range and still have some barrel life.

Newbie followup questions; I assume you mean the Savage is better than the off the shelf Remington?
I have a Savage 12 LRPV, LH port, which I really like, but it is in .204 Ruger, which won't cut it at longer distances with any wind, so thinking of adding a heavier calibre. Debating between the LRPV and the Savage F class rifle, any big reasons to go with one rather than the other?

CBhester,
Yes I do believe that Savages are some of the most accurate out of the box rifles. I personally have both models that you are talking about. I believe the model 12 LRPV could be a great rifle for long range shooting with the right caliber. The HS stock is pretty nice although the stock on the F class rides the bags very nicely. They both have the single shot actions which are a good action. I guess my answer is either one but with the nod going to the f-class just because I like the stock better.
If you already have the model 12 LRPV then another suggestion would be to give the folks at Broughton barrels a call. They will send you a chambered barrel that will screw right on to your model 12 and these are very nice barrels. Very easy to put on yourself with a Savage wrench. You can then switch barrels. If you do this just make sure they understand you have the single shot action which has a larger diameter than there standard actions. This gives you the same rifle with a custom barrel. You also have a lot more calibers to chose from. Hope this helps.

Back