Savage Bolt Problem

J

Julian

I have a .308 Savage that has an extracor problem again. Under the savage extractor is a spring loaded ball bearing that keeps tension on the extractor. The ball bearing popped out

I was at a 600 yard match and my bolt would not extract a fire cartridge. I found the small bearing and tried to install it with fingers numb from the cold. The spring loaded ball bearing jumped about 6" in the air and landed on the ground, lost for good.

Has anyone else had this problem? If your Savage won't extract a cartridge, start looking for a small ball bearing rolling around your bench or shooting match.

Julian

Lost ball

I've played 'CSI' with my Maglite on the floor more than once looking for the darn things when I've tried to re-assemble it. I've used a magnet too. My problem is big fingers and senior eyesight :) nhk

I'll admit, those small parts can be a bugger to work with if you have large sausage-type fingers and/or if its cold. Slipping the extractor off the first time is when most people find out about the detent ball ;)

if the ball just popped out on its own, and you *weren't* doing anything with the extractor, you've got some other problem going on. It shouldn't be physically possible for the ball to come out without the extractor being removed first, and unless you're doing something really funky, I can't see the extractor coming out on its own.

Bolt

I called Savage today and asked about the proble. They believe that excess pressure blows the ejector to the side to allow the ball bearing to pop out. I reload, but my loads are 3-grains under the maximum, so I am not sure where the excess pressure is coming from. I examined the cartridge that blew the ball bearing out, but could not see any indication of excess pressure.

The Tech-Rep suggested having extra ball bearings on hand to cope with the problem, so it sounds like something in inherent in the savage bolt.

Julian

If you ever have to replace the extractor, ball and spring, try doing it within a plastic bag. Chances are if they fly around you will find them in the bag. Worth a try.

Savage Bolt

Thanks for the idea of using the plastic bag when installing the detent ball, and I am going to look for an oversize ball and try it.

Good posts, and ideas.

Julian

get on that site.. It says I have to pay for it. Is this correct?

You can join and see most of the forum info for free (I think 50 post). It doesn't give you access to the classifieds to buy or sell. That is member only area. If you are a Savage shooter, it is $12/yr well spent. I have had almost instant help with every technical question or issue I have had since joining the Savage arena. I don't think you can view the technical support section unless you are a paid member.

Tim

Final Chapter of Bolt Problem

I ordered a new spring, extractor and detente ball for my Savage Model 10, .308 from Brownells. The detente ball was okay, but the spring and extractor did not fit. I'll call Brownell tomorrow and get the spring and extractor exchanged.

I installed the detente ball with the old spring and extractor, and slipped a spent cartridge into the extractor to check its function and something did not feel right. The cartridge was being held by the extractor all right but it looked crooked on the end of the bolt.

I looked at the bolt face and it looked fine. I grabbed a magnifier and a trouble light and examined the bolt again. On the face of the bolt was 2-grains of IMR4064 powder, mashed down and stuck on the bolt face.

I believe the cartridge that blew the detente ball was not sitting flush on the bolt, but canted at an angle to create a vent that allowed escaping gas to hit the extractor.

I disassembled the bolt and found one more kernel of IMR4064. At least 2 years ago, I had a cartridge that did not fire, and when it was ejected the bullet stuck in the chamber,the cartridge seperated and dumped 40 grains of IMR4064 into action.

I cleaned the powder out as best I could, and never gave it another thought. Those 2-grains of powder have been migrating all this time to end up on my bolt face during a 600 yard match. What Luck!

I have a new rule, Always Check the Bolt Face.

Julian

Bags and balls

Thanks for the idea of using the plastic bag when installing the detent ball, and I am going to look for an oversize ball and try it.

I didn't use the bag and after I found the ball for the 4th time (and got it installed) I decided maybe I should keep few spares around :) nhk

FYI:
0.125” Diameter steel balls per (1) 100 Pack
MSC #00072660 Chrome Steel, Hardness 62-66 C, $3.16
MSC #00073379 Stainless Steel – 440-C, Hardness 57-61 C, $5.46
MSC #00073239 Carbon Steel, Hardness 60-67 C, $2.28

0.1378” (3.50mm) Diameter steel balls per (1) 100 Pack
MSC #00073080 Chrome Steel, Hardness 62-66 C, $7.17

Anybody have a source for compression spring stock for ejectors and extractors?

Springs

They're easy enough to wind cold from music wire

Thanks, but I think I'll pass :) What I need is smaller than I'd care to make. When I was at TSJC the tool room had packets of bulk springs that you could cut to length for just such purposes, but I'm not sure where they came from, MSC didn't have anything that small and I haven't found them at Brownells either. nhk

you may want to try hobby stores that have rc cars and planes.....i would think they use small springs somewhere on them.

ron

I have found that the yellow chamber flags that are commenly used are just the right size that when the flags are removed from the chamber the back of it will slighly push the savage extractor over just a little bit to let the ball out of the detent. This is just enough that just touching it will send it flying. Has happened to me twice. :eek:

Back