Savage Benchrest Rifle

I don't but am very interested in using the action for a 6br build. Would be interested in some feedback from folks that got them as well.

savage dual port action

I ended up with one. It looked pretty good as far as bolt timing, squareness of the face and locking lugs. However the mounting holes on top were not drilled straight. I did not mount anything on it and as such am not sure how far off it would have been or even if you could have gotten a mount on it.
I traded it to a friend who has pressed into a sleeve.

I wish you luck

I ended up with one. It looked pretty good as far as bolt timing, squareness of the face and locking lugs. However the mounting holes on top were not drilled straight. I did not mount anything on it and as such am not sure how far off it would have been or even if you could have gotten a mount on it.
I traded it to a friend who has pressed into a sleeve.

I wish you luck

Mounting hole misalignment seems to be a generic problem with recent production Savage Actions. I have two Savage and one Stevens action in the shop now. The rear most scope mounting hole is off in all of them. I haven't measured how much, but it's easy to spot with an unaided eyeball.

The two new actions (recent production) have the receiver fron plane, and bolt lugs all in parallel planes as closely as I can measure them. It took less than a mil for the receiver front face to clean up.

Fitch

Seeing as how the target action series (12 F/TR, F-Class, Palma, Benchrest, LRPV, etc.) are done in big high-dollar CNC machining centers in two passes (one setup to do half the machining, another setup to do the rest)... I find it pretty hard to swallow the old complaint about the scope base holes being drilled crooked. Anything is possible, but there'd be a whole lot more than just the scope base holes messed up if the piece had been incorrectly positioned in the fixture for the CNC center! It's possible that the holes get done at some later stage - but that would make very little sense.

I have a 6br heavy gun that was built by Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply using the "new" Savage target action. Once I rebarreled it with a Shilen select match, it shoots tiny lil' groups out at 600 yards. I had no odd experiences with scope mounting. My action is a left bolt right port. I'm working on another one in 30br at the moment, myself. I doubt that it will quite match the one Fred built though, as he installed and adjusted his new BR trigger in that one. The stock Savage accuthingy does not begin to compare. I'll be using a trigger assist until I save up enough to have Fred install his trigger.

I thought I'd better add for the information of those folks not all that familiar with Savage receivers, that there are different shapes and mounting hole spacings on the older and newer rifles. As an example, a mount taken off an older (pre-accuthing-pre-centerfeed) model 12 will not fit on a brand new one. Also, being the internet, we might also want to be sure to mention that long actions and short actions are not going to take the same mounts. Here are a couple sources for quality scope mounts and rings that are made for various Savage actions.

http://dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know why some refuse to believe it, but savage has been cranking out alot of these target actions with screw hole location problems. this has been going on for almost 3 yrs, and whats surprising is that they havent fixed the problem yet.

DPRB SAv.

Am wondering if anyone has experience with Savage's new dual port benchrest rifle?

Thanks
-----------------------------------------------
Fred Moreo is building me one now. However, Fred is changing the placement of the left port a little to prevent the ctg. from going out
the right port when loading in a hurry.:D He is also fluting the bolt
and putting green powder coating in the fluting to match the John
Deere color Lam. stock on it. I have been watching some of the
guys shooting 1,000 yd. BR dual port rifles and they go very fast.
So I am having Gordie Gritters ( F class Panda action) and Fred Moreo
(Sav. Target action) build me Dual Port
rifles to shoot in 2010.:)

lefty,

There are ones where the barrel doesn't always point the same place as the scope mount holes; I won't argue that. I've had a few myself.

That doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the scope mount holes. Think about it.

i have thought about it, and the screw hole problem does exist, as well as the problem you mention. in the end, its a savage and you get what you pay for. lest you think im bashing savage, i own a few of them and would buy one any day before buying another remington!

My action was manufactured in March of 2009 and seems to be fine. I put a flat Picatinny rail on it and when I center the cross hair the vertical is almost perfect at 100 yards.

gt40

I have a 6br heavy gun that was built by Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply using the "new" Savage target action. Once I rebarreled it with a Shilen select match, it shoots tiny lil' groups out at 600 yards. I had no odd experiences with scope mounting. My action is a left bolt right port. I'm working on another one in 30br at the moment, myself. I doubt that it will quite match the one Fred built though, as he installed and adjusted his new BR trigger in that one. The stock Savage accuthingy does not begin to compare. I'll be using a trigger assist until I save up enough to have Fred install his trigger.

I thought I'd better add for the information of those folks not all that familiar with Savage receivers, that there are different shapes and mounting hole spacings on the older and newer rifles. As an example, a mount taken off an older (pre-accuthing-pre-centerfeed) model 12 will not fit on a brand new one. Also, being the internet, we might also want to be sure to mention that long actions and short actions are not going to take the same mounts. Here are a couple sources for quality scope mounts and rings that are made for various Savage actions.

http://dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

How did you end up with a Left Bolt Right Port. Did Fred convert it for you or did you order it from Savage that way

im on my second savage action

I havn't had one of the factory built bench rest rifles but i have used two of the actions to built custom rifles. The first being a 223AI used for A local factory class IBS score rifle. It had an Adams & Bennet BBl, and a Chohote varmit master stock. It shot very well, considering the little time and money invested in assembly. It shot consitently in the .20's, if i did mt job with the wind flags. I managed to take the vermont state IBS factory class champion ship, and shoot a 249 with 9 at the last mach of the season with it. The second rifle just arrived from Hart rifles friday. Its chambered in 30br, fitted with a heart hbr barrel, and a McMillan edge hbr stock. I havn't shot it yet Still waiting on a scope mount. The fit and finish are very nice and i expect it to shoot well.

As far as the mounting hole problem this is my 19th savage, and i have only seen the problem one on an older 220 swift. The rear holes where out of alignment with the bore, but the problem was easily rectified with the use of a refield style mount with rear windage adjustment.

That's just it... the older actions were done on an assembly line with 20-something stations - each time the parts went from one station to the next, they were re-registered in the jigs and fixtures and there was some room for stacking of errors, etc. With the newer CNC machining done in two setups... it seems unlikely that *just* the scope holes would be off if there was some problem. Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing *how*.

A good question!!!! I called Savage looking for such an action and they told me that they did not make one. I called SSS and Lisa told me they were out of them at the moment but had ordered more from the Savage custom shop due to unanticipated demand. Apparently the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing down at Savage.................more when I can get a pic to post

This is a manipulated photograph of two left handed Savage BR rifles. The one on the right is a mirror image. It is also an older receiver. You will note that it is flat on the top of the REAR of the receiver and round at the front. The rifle on the left is a "new" target action. You will note that is is round on the top front and rear. This changes the screw hole positions when mounting scopes. New model 12s are the same. I have 2 12s but no pix to upload--just take my word for it. This round and flat change was not picked up on instantly by manufacturers of scope mounts. Nor was the receiver change for the new center feed magazines. Many gunshops lag behind even further. It is very possible that scope mounts bought locally will not fit NEW Savage receivers-- even though they say that they do. The best way to assure that you have the correct mount is to contact the maker of the mount and/or order one from Ken Farrel or DNZ who are up to date. You cannot use an old style mount on an new style receiver and vice versa.

DblGun.jpg

Back