Savage 12 BVSS 223 load advice

D

DennisPA

I've been shooting in a factory class "Ground Hog Shoot" for about 2 years. I'm now working on a new rifle a Savage 12 BVSS in 223. My current plan is to shoot Berger 52g flat base or 73g VLD. My question is does anyone have some pet loads for this combinations that have worked well for them in a competition environment? Thanks

dennis,
I shoot a Savage 12 LRPV, my pet is 25grs of N133 in Lapua Brass with a 52 gr Scheider/Fowler FB Match Bullet,,,,, but this gun will shoot just as tight with Sierra 52 or 53 gr Match bullets,,,, I have a custom that likes N130 & Scheider bullets and a couple that I deer with with that shoot Sierra 55 gr GameKings over H335,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

mine likes sierra 53gr match in front of 25gr of h322 with a cci primer

My little Remington 223 likes 22.8 grains of H4895 a CCI 400 primer and those 73 grain Bergers you were talking about.

Thanks to everyone. You gave me some more to think about. I'm hoping to do some load devlopment Saturday for a competition on Sunday. I hate to rush like this but I just found out last weekend that my old factory rifle I was shooting my not be so factory. Another shooter pointed out the barrel might not be factory! Great! It took me two years to finally get my 220 swift shooting and now I can't shoot it! Savage has been no help in figuring out if it's a factory barrel or not. So back in the safe the swift goes.

Why do you think that it is or it is not a factory barrel? Do you have any pictures? Savage is a company known for mixing and matching parts, but even with that It is fairly easy to tell if the barrel is factory or not. On loads a 52 gr Berger, Sierra, you name it over N133 works well.

I've been shooting in a factory class "Ground Hog Shoot" for about 2 years. I'm now working on a new rifle a Savage 12 BVSS in 223. My current plan is to shoot Berger 52g flat base or 73g VLD. My question is does anyone have some pet loads for this combinations that have worked well for them in a competition environment? Thanks

What's the rate of twist?

.223 Rem. vs 5.56 Nato in bolt action Remington 788?

Very much appreciate all the info in the Threads previous to this one. As a beginner in reloading, I need a clarification. Can a rifle (Remington 788} be used to shoot 5.56 Nato? I hear different opinions; therefore, I am asking for help.

All the best,

Tennantite

5.56 chambers are free bored to allow longer to the ogive bullets, the pressures of the NATO cartridge are about 5K higher too. I won`t shoot them in my rifles. YMMV

Thanks for all the info.

The twist for the Savage 12 BVSS is 9.

As for the question about the factory barrel. The main reason the fellow shooter pointed out was the 11 degree target crown and the lack of markings on the barrel. The only markings are "220 SWIFT" stamped near the chamber.

I called Savage with the serial number and as soon said it begain with "A" she cut me off and said wow that's really old we don't have records back that far! lol! She told me to call a parts house "Jack First" that they might be able to help, but that was a dead end too. The saga continues!!

A factory savage barrel will be marked with a roll stamp and will have savage arms name and other information and the caliber, and since it is not a 12 twist barrel it will also have the twist rate marked on the barrel. Savage uses a recessed 11 degree target crown, and has no other options. If the barrel is marked 220 swift, and it is chambered in 223, it is not a factory gun.

The twist for the Savage 12 BVSS is 9.

For a competitive load, try using Lapua [.223 Remington] Brass, 26.0 grains of Varget, Ronnie Cheek's 63 grain custom bullets, and CCI BR4 benchrest primers [if you can find them].

Here's Ronnie's ordering page: http://www.rcheek.com/page3.shtml I believe he still has some 22 caliber jackets on hand. Email him for the latest info or call 325-698-1318.

All the above components are best used in a custom barrel such as a Krieger, Shilen, etc. for better results.

Savage 12 223 Update

Thanks to all that replied. I found some Hogden BL-C(2) powder CCI BR4 primers and Lapua brass. I neck turned them to .010 wall thickness and neck sized them .002 under. I shot 5 sets of 5 shots each from 25g to 27g. My rifle seamed to like 27g. I shot in a competition two weeks ago and I had a .433 four shot group that I opened up to .600 with my 5th shot at 100 yards. Still ended up with a 50 and 2 x's so I was very happy. I think I got to far into my powder fouling round count and my 200 and 300 yard groups really opened up.

I also did some load development with berger 70g VLD. I had planed to shoot the 52g at 100 and 200 yards then the 70g VLD at 300. To my shock the 52g shot better at 300 then the 70g. Not by much but still better, the 52g was a 1.234 and th 70's were about 1.5. This was a dead calm evening so I may still lean towards the 70's in comptition if the wind is picking up.

I looking forward to doing some more load development with this rife. I only went in half grain steps so I think there is still some more room for improvment.

Thanks for the info about the TAC with SMK's I shoot with a few guys that love SMK's they are on my list to try. If I can find some TAC i'd like to try it in my AR too.

Thanks for the info about Ronnie Creek. My plan is to order some custom bullets over the winter and try them out.

Has any one had any luck with JLK 22 cal bullets?

Back