Sako Extractor Problems

A couple more questions.
How much room is there under the extractor? Does it fit closely to the rim holding it tight against the bolt face?
Does the extractor make full contact with the rim? Meaning does it push the case to the opposite side of the bolt face.

All these tolerances can stack up and can cause problems.

Well guys, I've got it pretty much figured out.
Disclaimer: I am not being ungratefful for all the help and suggestions. Just the opposite....... I thank you all.

Installed bushing in bolt to much tighter tolerances today and re-cut raceway for Sako claw.
No good.

Tried my billet claw.
No good.

Removed ejector plunger for the 100th time and lengthened cut in side that limits plunger travel via spring pin. Before this the ejector was approx. .030" below bolt face. Set plunger to flush with bolt face so the plunger has a bit longer "push" on the case. It flipped the case out on my work bench. Imagine that. Did a little more work on the plunger and set it to .010" above bolt face. Got a little better.

I can see now what the real problem is.
The shortmag case just has too big and fat of an azz to come out the ejection port. After Bear season is over I am going to modify the insides of my ejection ports to give them a nice angle so the base of the case is not hitting the sharp corner of the ejection port.

A good test before I do this will be to cut a window in the side of a case in the area where it will hit the corner of the ejection port.
If it throws the brass like it should, modify ejection port.

Bottom line........................ (my opinion)
The shortmag family of cases are just barely operational in a stock 700 short action if you want to use it as a repeater

Joe,
Your S/A-
Look to see if there is a 1/2 football shaped scallop inside the rear bridge fwd o/b corner/aft o/b corner of ejection port.
The .378" bolt face receivers do not have the scallop for case ejection clearance.
Some S/A .473" bolt face receivers did not get the required machine work.

Cut the aft end of the ejection port/rear bridge as per a 40X Repeater.

Joe,
Your S/A-
Look to see if there is a 1/2 football shaped scallop inside the rear bridge fwd o/b corner/aft o/b corner of ejection port.
The .378" bolt face receivers do not have the scallop for case ejection clearance.
Some S/A .473" bolt face receivers did not get the required machine work.

Cut the aft end of the ejection port/rear bridge as per a 40X Repeater.

Do you have a pic of this?
Or, do you have a pic of a 40X repeater?

700 bridge scallop.jpg

OP,
Roll the action up-side down & look thru the mag well for the 1/2 football shaped scallop cut in the rear bridge starting from the lug raceway towards center of bridge.

.378" bolt face receivers do not have the scallop.

.473" & .532" bolt face receivers have the scallop...or should.

I've come across a dozen .473" &.532" bolt face S/A receivers that drop the case onto the follower that did not have the scallop cut in the bridge.
Once cut,they functioned as designed.

Last edited:
Back