Runout

I have the H & H tool, it's great, and I can lessen assembled round runout easily. Lately, though, I am concerned that any straightening--even one push--can change neck tension. So I'm adding a variable that may or may not be worse than runout. I am shooting 1000yd, and use .003 neck tension with 6.5x47 Lapua brass, and my match rounds will vary between .001 to .003 runout.
Any opinions on which is more important, runout or neck tension?

Old PPC

Call Lester. I bought one of the bullet runnout/straightener jigs at a Shoot he ws at. Good tool.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Shinny,
While moving a stack of Precision Shooting magazines, I flipped through the one on the top of the pile. It had Dick Wright's article, "More Good Stuff", that has pictures and a review of the Welsh concentricity gauge. It is the October 2002 issue. At the time, the price was given as $400 and the case was supported on bearing balls that were fixed in position.

Bud Welsh makes great stuff, he also does a priming tool that gets no attention.

The key to any of these tools that measure small things is the dial test indicator, get the best or don't bother.

For what it is worth, many of us have sat down with our Rail Guns on good days and seen for ourselves just what is tolerable. I have shot 10 shot groups with rounds that ran out in the .003 range, and the groups were not much different from the groups that had rounds where every loaded case measured .001 or less.

Doesn't prove much, but what we all try to do is strive to get everything as close as possible, if for any other reason, peace of mind...........jackie

Amen to this. I remember wearing out a really good rail-gun barrel dickering with issues like loaded round runout. It was all inconclusive and a waste of a competitive barrel. A lot of these ancillary issues are like spots on the sun.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Shinny,
While moving a stack of Precision Shooting magazines, I flipped through the one on the top of the pile. It had Dick Wright's article, "More Good Stuff", that has pictures and a review of the Welsh concentricity gauge. It is the October 2002 issue. At the time, the price was given as $400 and the case was supported on bearing balls that were fixed in position.

Boyd,
Looked and I don't have that issue. Would it be possible to scan or copy the article and either Email or mail to me?

If you Email me your Email address I will Email you my mailing address.

Thank you in advnce for your consideration.

Shinny

I still have the ...

Bud Welsh concentricity gauge and it is still the best I've ever seen. It comes with an Interapid .0001" dial indicator which cost at least $200.00 way back then. These are the same indicators we used at the tool company. We used them simply because they were the best we could get.

Bud is from New York state and the last phone number I have for him was 714-688-6344.

After I wrote that piece in PS I got a call from Ferris Pindel who told me that Bud's tool was an exact copy of one he had designed years ago. Never one to hide his light, Ferris was quite insistent that I better put that information in the magazine. Since I always do what Ferris asks, I did so.

Bud's gauge is a perfect example of, if you need something... buy the best, buy it once and you'll never need another or find a better one.

Dick Wright

P.S. Grosbier, I think you meant .001". Since .0001" is 1/40th of a human hair that's a pretty optimistic tolerance to achieve.

I used to drive myself nuts with runout checking. Especially on my 1000 yard stuff. But after careful testing at close range with my 6ppc, I have come to the same conclusion as Jackie and Greg. It's nice to know your ammo has less than a thou runout, but just like a nice paint job, it won't make your rifle shoot any better. It just looks better!

After extensive testing of this matter, I could not honestly tell any difference in ammo with .003 runout vs. under .001 runout. But, I could see somewhat of an accuracy loss with stuff that ran out .004 and .005. The ammo with under .0035" runout was capable of "zeros" at 100 yards.

Back