Ruger 10/22 for Rimfire Benchrest

rkittine

Is there a class for using a Ruger 10/22 in Rimfire Benchrest? Is a 10/22 even any good for this? I have always wanted one and am considering building one up as a target model.

Bob

Is there a class for using a Ruger 10/22 in Rimfire Benchrest? Is a 10/22 even any good for this? I have always wanted one and am considering building one up as a target model.

Bob

Yes there is .The ABRA has a factory class for the ruger 10/22 rifle . Look at rimfire central.com as another source for rimfire information

Semi-Auto Benchrest

Yes sir like the gentlemen replied earlier, Auto Benchrest Association is specifically designed for Semi-Autos.
We have two classes, a Factory Class and a Unlimited Class.
Factory Class, we allow little modification to the factory rifle.
Unlimited Class, The Sky is the Limit.
Check us out at www.autobenchrestassociation.com
Or please fill free to give me a call
Thanks Joe
(830)-796-0815

Does factory class have to be a Ruger 10/22 or will a Kidd Industries rifle from their list of ready to shoot rifles, quality as factory?

Bob

Oh Geeze, the equipment war/bending rules/ rears its ugly head. If Kidd makes the entire unit, not working off a rugger mfg base unit then it would be factory- say like Vorquartson. Adding parts from another mfg to a base ruger mfg unit -depending on what and the rules, might move you into the unlimited grouping.

Thanks Blade, Wasn't sure if Kidd was considered "Factory" or custom. I am leaning toward buying a Kidd Industries Target Model. The other option was the Ruger Target model, but the Kidd sounds like it should be a lot more accurate. Since the New York State Safe Act does not allow us to purchase a Semi-Auto with a threaded muzzle whether a break is installed or not, that is one thing they have to do for me is supply it with a plain barrel, which is not what their Stock Off The Shelf rifles are apparently supplied with. Always some technicality. Would probably never compete with it other than casual shoots are my home club, but nice to know.

I remember as a drag racer in the 60s, guys like Bill Jenkins would call up Chevy ask them to grind a specific cam for him, make 200 copies and establish a part number so it would be allowed in "Stock" class.

Bob

To be in the factory class you must use a ruger factory barrel,and stock. You can modify the factory trigger but it must be in O.E.M. housing . You can run any power of scope .The ammo must be over the counter .

The ammo must be over the counter .

So, this means Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas +, or any other .22 rimfire caliber ammo should be allowable as you can go into any good gun shop, or even some Big Box stores, and buy it "Over the Counter" either straight off-the-shelf, or by them ordering it over-the-Internet for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Question: does personally buying ammo over the internet disqualify it from being "Over-the-Counter"? I've been at this game for 21 years and have only bought ammo that way other than for back in the very beginning.

Over-the-Counter, off-the-shelf, Over-the-internet: what's the difference. Any of these expressions still allow your dealer to order you anything you want - from the Internet. Now, as for the word "FACTORY", that has an entirely different meaning.

I guess then if I ever compete other than local fun shoots, I will just shoot in unlimited class. I have some Lapua 22 Match Ammo on order and have a bunch of other match grade to try. Just need to call Tony Kidd now and get an order going.

Bob

Thanks Blade, Wasn't sure if Kidd was considered "Factory" or custom. I am leaning toward buying a Kidd Industries Target Model. The other option was the Ruger Target model, but the Kidd sounds like it should be a lot more accurate. Since the New York State Safe Act does not allow us to purchase a Semi-Auto with a threaded muzzle whether a break is installed or not, that is one thing they have to do for me is supply it with a plain barrel, which is not what their Stock Off The Shelf rifles are apparently supplied with. Always some technicality. Would probably never compete with it other than casual shoots are my home club, but nice to know.

I remember as a drag racer in the 60s, guys like Bill Jenkins would call up Chevy ask them to grind a specific cam for him, make 200 copies and establish a part number so it would be allowed in "Stock" class.

Bob
That info puts you "in my age group". My first new car was a 66 Chevy II 350 hp 327 that due to the light weight was classified in SUPER STOCK class. Definitely a Bill Jenkins idea. :)

So, this means Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas +, or any other .22 rimfire caliber ammo should be allowable as you can go into any good gun shop, or even some Big Box stores, and buy it "Over the Counter" either straight off-the-shelf, or by them ordering it over-the-Internet for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Question: does personally buying ammo over the internet disqualify it from being "Over-the-Counter"? I've been at this game for 21 years and have only bought ammo that way other than for back in the very beginning.

Over-the-Counter, off-the-shelf, Over-the-internet: what's the difference. Any of these expressions still allow your dealer to order you anything you want - from the Internet. Now, as for the word "FACTORY", that has an entirely different meaning.

Yes you are correct. I shoot Lapua center X in the factory class.

I had a long list of Muscle Cars. The only two I truly regret having sold were my 1969 Yenko Camaro, and my 1968 Baldwin Motion 426 Competition Hemi Road Runner, both bought new. Started with a 67 Baracuda with the "D" Dart 273. Now it is just my 1967 Corvette Roadster, 427/435 HP with Factory Side Pipes. I had a number of friends with the later Nova, 1967 - 396/375 HP. I had the 327 / 365 HP with solids in my 65 Vette and the 327/350 with hydraulics in my first 67. Then an LT-1 350/370 HP in my 70 Z-28.

But now I will be driving my Prius getting 50 MPG to Williamsport this weekend for the 1,000 Yard Shooting School!

Bob

Last edited:
I ran into a club

that has similar kind of matches and they have a $$$ limit on ammo in their classes. Sorta takes the where ya bought it out of the mix. Mostly what I didn't find appealing about them was their ban on wind flags. I don't get that part of it.

Pete

Mostly what I didn't find appealing about them was their ban on wind flags. I don't get that part of it.

spectulation: perhaps banning wind flags is like other rules that limit the expense of the match (wind flags being yet another expense in the Great Equipment Race)

You need to go to the ABRA website and click on the rules section.

Actually, Rugers are not required; the LVT simply is the most generally accurate model available under the factory rules. I understand that until it came out, the Remington 597 was a serious contender. The rules actually state that it must be a factory autoloader, have a barrel no larger than 0.75" at the muzzle, be fed from a magazine (no manual loading), and the barrel be factory marked as to specific model. I haven't actually seen the factory Kidds and VQs but I think there are two places they don't qualify for factory. I suspect they all have barrels larger than 0.75 at the muzzle, and that the barrels aren't specifically marked as to model. If not, there is no way to tell if the barrel has been replaced or not.

The 0.75 rule is what disqualifies the Rem 597 HB. Under the rules a factory gun can be rechambered and recrowned. The stock can be rebedded and the trigger modified in any way as long as the original housing is used. The LVT, being in essence a Ruger target model with a lighter barrel contour and regular stock, is the best basis for improvement. It already has a target chamber, although generally too long. Shortening the barrel tenon slightly and recrowning is simple and effective. Installing a Kidd trigger kit (or a good trigger job) and bedding of your choice yields a competitive rifle. They are not the only option, just the easiest and most available. I have seen one T/C that is shot in both factory and unlimited and scores well in both. Another one I have seen is a 50 year old Beretta that is deadly accurate. That being the case, I would be surprised if an early Italian Weatherby wouldn't be competitive. The Beretta mentioned above while practicing actually shot a score in the 190's when being single loaded by hand. I think improved magazines and feeding are the next great step for all these guns.

Good factory guns score around 180 on the ABRA target, as compared to the low 190's for the unlimiteds. ( I am talking aggs here, not one target bragging. ) To be competitive, you will need a factory gun that can agg in the high 170's over the long haul, or an unlimited that can hit 190 as a minimum.

The unlimited guns can be anything, period, as long as they autoload. As a rule, these are all customs at the top level, because even guns like the Kidds and VQs have compromises built into the chambers etc. They have evolved to a very high level of performance, given the platform. Stocks are one big issue, since these guns really perform best with a true benchrest straight line stock, and these are not available with a Kidd or VQ, so there is a big financial penalty.

As to ammo, the rules state only that it be available over the counter. There is no requirement as to where it is purchased. CenterX seems to be the single most common choice in unlimited. Lapua in general dominates, I suspect because of the nose shape of a lot of Eley not working well with autoloaders. Due to the generally more generous chambers, factory class has a wide array of ammo used. You need to have ammo that chambers reliably and partially engraves the driving bands.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Art

Thanks art you are correct, Thank you again .
If anyone has any question please feel free to give us a call
any day of the week from 8am to 10 pm TEXAS time
830 796-0815

Joe

Thanks Art for all the great information. I am working with Doyle Anglin who has built two benchrest rifles for me in the past and might just go ahead and do something that if I ever competed with it would have to be in the Unlimited class.

Bob

I wanna thanks Joe & Lisa for running this! Sure opens rimfire benchrest for the avg person! I been getting a 10/22 ready, prob be next spring before its 100%, sure look forward to it, regards Ernie

Back