Roughing Reamers

S

stevetarget

Do you guys have a roughing reamer for each caliber finish reamer you have or do you use some other method to save wear on your finish reamers? If so would you elaborate on what method you use. thanks
Steve

Do you guys have a roughing reamer for each caliber finish reamer you have or do you use some other method to save wear on your finish reamers? If so would you elaborate on what method you use. thanks
Steve

Beleive it or not but, some use a drill bit to remove the bulk of the material.
Some use boring bars with the compoud set to the reamer flute angle, cut to a spot just short of the finished chamber and then use the finish reamer to establish the final depth/shape of the chamber. I use a finish reamer from start to finish.

It seems to me that some of you guys reccommend no rougher so as not to loose the bore surface for the finish reamer pilot. I now do my chambers with only a finish reamer held by hand with a knurled knob and pushed with a pusher that only touches the knob. The last ones that I did came out great. No run out and the same size as the reamer. A bit slower with no rougher, but worth it. Great advice.

Don

Back