Rookie benchrest value question

757Firearms

Hello everyone.

First off, I’m not posting in here to sell anything. I’ll used the benchrest classifieds for that.

Here’s the situation…I’m a FFL who is handling an estate sale for a deceased benchrest shooter. I have over 20 benchrest or high power target rifles and have NO CLUE what they are, what they’re worth, how much most people charge for shipping, etc.

If someone wouldn’t mind contacting me to at least help me with the proper wording to list these rifles, I’d greatly appreciate it.

They’re all in amazing shape. I’m just concerned that they’re not “up to date” with the latest technology. I’ve posted a picture of most of them. The rest are high powered heavy barrel on CMP AR frames.

I appreciate your help, in advance.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4970.jpeg
    IMG_4970.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4971.jpeg
    IMG_4971.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 187
Asa non-benchrest shooter, here's my impressions:

Photo #1: 3x highpower/long range rifles, and an air rifle. Wood stocked one with the long barrel is a prone-only rifle, possibly a Palma rifle (if chambered in .308 Winchester);
Photo #2: 5x rifles for position shooting (I hesitate to say "highpower" as one of the rifles appears to be a .22 rimfire);
Photo #3: 8x position rifles, #$ and #6 appear to be rimfire or pellet rifles. Long blue rifle appears to be another prone or Palma rifle;
Photo #4: 3x AR_15s for highpower shooting (unless one or more of them are set up as .22 LR rifles). Not sure what the pump action and the wood stock are, suspect the pimp action is some form of a shotgun.

Value of each rifle will vary based on caliber and amount of use. (If a round count is available for some or all rifles, it would help.) As a basic rule of thumb, a good way of guesstimating the price is for bolt actions, $2500, minus the cost of replacing a barrel. Figure the latter as $200-$300 for the barrel, plus another $100-$200 for installation. The ARs are a bit more difficult, price will vary with the amount of work required to build the rifles, For a "standard" rifle (i.e. rear sight as part of the "carry handle" unit, or the scoped version in the picture), figure a base price of $1300, minus the cost of barreling. An AR barrel can cost between $100 to $450, the labor involved is dependent on how difficult it is removing the "barrel nut" from the upper receiver.

The Palma and prone rifles tend to be more expensive (best guess is $2000 or more), stocks alone are worth $700 to $2000, depending on material. Both stocks are in good condition, the wood stock is actually a bit more expensive than the fiberglass.

Rifles appear to be in good condition, best of luck in selling them.

FYI, some of the aperture sights appear to be Warner sights, (www.wtc.com), which are very precise, and also really expensive. Keep this in mind when pricing these rifles.

Don't think they make sights anymore. I sold my Palma sight years ago to a friend that needed a second one. Warner sights were the Rolex of match sights. I think they were labor intensive which raised the cost significantly.

Don't think they make sights anymore.
The Warners still make sights - but on a very limited basis. Prices have increased steadily over the years, with the result that they now cost about the same as a middle to middle-high end scope. They used to make two models of sights, with the rarer model being the #2. This model had more elevation than the #1, and nearly double the windage, and so was the sight of choice for long range shooters.

Whoever owned those rifles was REALLY into shooting!!

You might check out "https://theshooterscorner.com/". His inventory might give you an idea as to what value to place on your "for sale" rifles.
But beware, someone out there will want them for "next to nothing".

I remember a while back, selling a deceased shooting friends BSA Martini.
I remember the sights on it being worth more than the rifle by itself.

Back