Rockwell Lathe?

operator1

I am looking to purchase my first lathe and have found a Rockwell 10" x 36" lathe that's in excellent shape with loads of tooling. The only problem is the spindle bore is only 1". My question is can I do barrel work (chamber) with this using a steady rest or do I really need to look for another lathe with a bigger spindle bore so I can work through the headstock? Any advice would be helpful.

I am looking to purchase my first lathe and have found a Rockwell 10" x 36" lathe that's in excellent shape with loads of tooling. The only problem is the spindle bore is only 1". My question is can I do barrel work (chamber) with this using a steady rest or do I really need to look for another lathe with a bigger spindle bore so I can work through the headstock? Any advice would be helpful.

Bigger spindle bore.

You can certainly chamber in the steady on that lathe. 36" is the absolute minimum bed length for that, however, and you will probably have a fair amount of barrel inside the spindle at that. If your barrels are going to exceed 1" in diameter, I think you would be better off looking for a larger machine.

Clemson

I would suggest that you get the Rockwell if it is well tooled and at a decent price. You absolutely can chamber in the steady with excellent results. After a while, you'll be able to decide if the larger spindle bore is required.

All the talk about large spindle bores is great, but not all lathes with a large bore are short enough through the headstock to do anything shorter than 26" barrels. Keep that in mind while you are looking. Three that do fit that description would be South Bend Heavy 10, Clausing 5914, Rockwell 11x36. There are others, such as the Jet and Grizzly imports. Just depends on your budget and skill level.

Greg

Back